Ucf20 Owners! Fix Your Creaking Armrests!

amcdonal86

After several weeks of trying to solve the problem of the creaking armrest (you know, that nasty creeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaakkkk sound when you apply pressure to it with your elbow), which led me to put little rubber cabinet stops on the armrest, scramble to replace to original rubber stops with the factory parts, and try installing some storm door weatherstripping along the edges of the armrest.

None of these solutions had any effect at all.

Then I spent a good 30 minutes today really trying to diagnose the source of the creaking. After careful testing and analysis, I narrowed it down to the interface between the catch of the top-most level of the armrest to the actual handle for the upper-most level of the arm rest.

I took a little medium sanding block and sanded those interfaces, and VOILA!!!!! No more creaking!!!! It's that easy!

It's a very simple fix and now my cocoon of serenity is complete at last!!!!!

My theory is that over time, those surfaces rub against each other so much that they become polished. When they become polished, they grip against each other, and when you lean on it, the static friction is overcome in steps, resulting in noisy creaking.

post-85367-1235851713_thumb.jpg

post-85367-1235851722_thumb.jpg

After several weeks of trying to solve the problem of the creaking armrest (you know, that nasty creeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaakkkk sound when you apply pressure to it with your elbow), which led me to put little rubber cabinet stops on the armrest, scramble to replace to original rubber stops with the factory parts, and try installing some storm door weatherstripping along the edges of the armrest.

None of these solutions had any effect at all.

Then I spent a good 30 minutes today really trying to diagnose the source of the creaking. After careful testing and analysis, I narrowed it down to the interface between the catch of the top-most level of the armrest to the actual handle for the upper-most level of the arm rest.

I took a little medium sanding block and sanded those interfaces, and VOILA!!!!! No more creaking!!!! It's that easy!

My theory is that over time, those surfaces rub against each other so much that they become polished. When they become polished, they grip against each other, and when you lean on it, the static friction is overcome in steps, resulting in noisy creaking.

WOW, I just went and tried it, and it works.

these little sanding blocks are just right.

look close and see the sand marks on the very top.

post-5365-1235860729_thumb.jpg

post-5365-1235861671_thumb.jpg

Hmmm, I would have thought a little lubricant spray to those areas would also do the trick. No?

I haven't tried it. I think a lubricant might add to the problem. If you want to try it, please do and let us know if that works!

The thing about a lube.... it will wear off.... and make the cabin smell like the lube..

The sand paper is a win win situation. MUCH longer till it smooths out again, and NO nasty chemical smell!! :D

The thing about a lube.... it will wear off.... and make the cabin smell like the lube..

The sand paper is a win win situation. MUCH longer till it smooths out again, and NO nasty chemical smell!! :D

Haha, I was thinking the same thing!

Maybe a dry lubricant like graphite would work, but that could get all over the interior.

Good job; yes it's annoying when the car is so quiet except for some weird unidentified noise. Love the sanding block! I"m sure an unscrupulous dealer would have tried to change the whole console out...