Replacement Battery

w140amg

Does anybody have the numbers on the OE battery of the 95 LS400? Size and CCA

The previous owner installed a cheap battery (Energizer, I think and looks small) I want to get a better replacement.

Thanks

Interstate has 3 different ones for around $100. And Interstate batteries are made locally here in N.C. And are widely available. And have a good reputation.

Or you can go to Autozone, who has them for about the same price with a 3 year full replacement warranty and an 8 year total warranty. Just put one in my 2002 LS430 (the dealer didn't check it at my last servicing. I was in a hurry and so we jumped it off.) Took it to Autozone and when they checked it; it would not hold a charge. Replaced it with the SAME Japanese brand and battery that came with the car new for 100 bucks including installation and took all of 15 min. And they are 1/2 mile from my front door. 3 yr full replacement warranty and 8 years total. NAPA, and most other autoparts franchises carry them and keep them in stock. And keep you in their computer system so if it dies, they can look it up even if you don't have the receipt. And you can return it to any franchised store. Just google the nearest franchise to you.

Any thoughts about AC DELCO Professional battery?

Top post-Battery CCA rating 700 ; 24F BCI ; 0585 CCA

http://www.acdelco.com/parts/battery/profe...nal-battery.jsp

I can buy one for about $132 including tax.

AC/Delco is a good brand, but I noticed that installation is not included. You can save about $40 if you go with a franchise battery (Autozone for example) and they'll install it for you). You will only get a 36 month as opposed to a 50 month full replacement warranty. But the Autozone one has 750 CCA for around $90. Their "core charge" is $12 which is deducted from the total price if they switch it out for you as opposed to taking a battery home and then having to bring the old one back.

The Interstate MTP-24F-Mega-Tron Plus - 85 Months - 800 CCA and is listed at $114

I'd shop around at battery dealers near you for the best deal, warranty, and make sure that if it dies, you can get a replacement easily darned near anywhere. And since those suckers weigh at least 40+ lbs, let them install it free for you,

You might also check places like Costco, Sam's Club, etc if you are a member.

Find and compare on-line. It's cheaper and if the weather turns bad, you won't be outside banging your knuckles on a cold wrench.

remember a battery is only as good as its warranty...there are only a few different companies that make batteries, interstate does not make their own batteries,neither does napa,kragens,autozone,autolite,bosch,die hard, none of them...EXIDE,johnson controls (who make interstate), and there is one more i think but im not sure of the name, so dont get caught up in the name cuz its irrelivant

remember a battery is only as good as its warranty...there are only a few different companies that make batteries, interstate does not make their own batteries,neither does napa,kragens,autozone,autolite,bosch,die hard, none of them...EXIDE,johnson controls (who make interstate), and there is one more i think but im not sure of the name, so dont get caught up in the name cuz its irrelivant

You are correct re: battery manufacturers. The manufacturer in Winston-Salem, N.C. was the Douglas Batter Company (visited it), but as of this year, they've sold their auto battery manufacturing.

Thanks for updating me.

I know a guy that works at my local oreilly and can hook me up with an optima for $100 cash, brand new. Should I get a red top or yellow top? Or not at all? I wont be getting a warentee, but it a brand new optima, so I don't think I'm too woried. BTW why are optima's so good?

i used to sell optima batteries when i managed PEP BOYS....it was the most problematic battery we carried, they suck in my opinion and they are over priced

Whatever you get, get a battery with a warranty (at least 24 -36 month full replacement). Most quality batteries are going to last at least 6 - 7 years IF they make it the 1st 2 or 3. And for less than or around 100 bucks, you can get a darned good replacement battery, installed, with that kind of warranty and 700 - 800 cca.

No one has a 100% record on their batteries not having a dud or two in a lot. Fortunately, the % is pretty low.

I'm going to CostCo this afternoon and checking out the price on a new Optima battery.

Please let us know what you bought, an idea of the cose, where you bought it...and how long the smaller replacement lasted in your LS400 lasted. Thanks.

To answer this question:

----

Please let us know what you bought, an idea of the cose, where you bought it...and how long the smaller replacement lasted in your LS400 lasted. Thanks.

-----

I ended up buying a Kirkland Signature battery with 640 CCA for $61+tax from Costco. I saw an Optima red top for $138+tax.

The Kirkland comes with 3 year 100% refund and a 84 month refund schedule, 5% at 84 months.

The battery size guide mentioned that stock LS400 battery is 585 CCA.

I went to NAPA and Advanced auto. Store brand Batteries were around $90 with 2 year warranty.

The former Energizer battery's age is unknown b/c the pervious owner bought it. The battery had some corrosion on the top posts.

I decided that $61 was worth the security of not having a dead battery. I feel safe for the next 5 years.

what group size did u buy? 27?

also i work at NAPA and our batteries are made by exide,which are pretty good, not the best but they are good, and they are warrantied for 18 months free replacement, 75 proration period....which is over 6 years and i think the 90 dollars u quoted was with the core included, u get 10 and some change back upon the return of ur old one......either way u look at it 61 dollars is a great price

To answer this question:

----

-----

I ended up buying a Kirkland Signature battery with 640 CCA for $61+tax from Costco. I saw an Optima red top for $138+tax.

The Kirkland comes with 3 year 100% refund and a 84 month refund schedule, 5% at 84 months.

The battery size guide mentioned that stock LS400 battery is 585 CCA.

I went to NAPA and Advanced auto. Store brand Batteries were around $90 with 2 year warranty.

The former Energizer battery's age is unknown b/c the pervious owner bought it. The battery had some corrosion on the top posts.

I decided that $61 was worth the security of not having a dead battery. I feel safe for the next 5 years.

Sounds like "ya done good". And, as I recall, Kirkland is one of Consumers' Reports "Best Buys".

HRP

It was fitment 3. Size 24. there seems to be more space in the LS battery tray, but the other top sided batteries appeared too big.

I had a $9 core fee which I received back when I returned my battery.

The LS battery holder is sized to hold a 27F battery. It is about 1 inch wider than a 24 battery. Unfortunately, the 27 size can be difficult to find. I have purchased most of my replacement batteries in recent years from Sam's Club. They normally do not stock the 27 size battery in my area; therefore, I had to buy the 24F.

In replacing the battery, make certain that you get the 24F or 24R, with the positive terminal on the left. A lot of people have blown fuses and caused other electrical problems by attempting to install the wrong type battery. The F or R designation indicates that the positive is on the left. You can install a 24 or 27 and turn the battery around where the terminals are at the front of the battery holder. This will work - if the battery connectors are long enough to reach. Unfortunately, they usually are not long enough.