Tire Decision

ralfuller

Hey guys, I have a 1998 ES 300 and I love her to death, she my princess I tell everyone. I have 17 inch IS300 rims on the car now, with 215/45/17 tires that came with the rims. Its time to look into new tires and I overwhelmed by all the choices. The variation is price from $50 to $250 seems crazy to me, Is it worth getting a more expensive tire or will I be paying for the name on the sidewall? What are you guys using on your own cars and how satisfied are you with them? Anything will help...

Thanks

On my 97 ES300, I bought a sweet set of Bridgestone Potenza RE960 Pole Positions. They're the best tire I've ever had for any of my vehicles. They're sleek, they grip corners like nobody's business, work well in the rain, great wear protection, sexy tread pattern, they're awesome. Not sure if they'd fit on your IS rims, but I slapped them on the stocks and bought shiny new lugs - all 20 from dealership were like $160!

For winter, I bought a set of steely black rims and some generic ice-fighting tires, ran about $450 altogether.

Good luck in your endeavor.

Try www.tirerack.com. Had some good info when I was buying some tires for my wife's 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe. What ever you decide to buy be sure to check the web for prices and you probably can get the price matched at a local dealer.

Best of luck,

leon

Since your from Florida....do you want all seasons or summer tires? What specifically are you looking for in replacement rubber?

I just got 4 new Yokohama Avids which are all season tires for about 500$. Thats a good deal since the cheapst michelins were 1,000. My mechanic says that he wouldnt rate Michelins over these tires. Yokos are OEM on this car. I have nitrogen in the tires and you feel everything....to much for me but if you like the performance, agressive feel you will like them. I had Yokos YK420s all season, which in my terms were not so bumpy like the Avids. But keep in mine I only have 1,500 miles on the new ones. And the first month I could feel the difference day to day as the bounce wore off but i do not think they will get any better...nitrogen may be part of the culprit.

From all the research I did stay away from Bridgestone Potenza and Turanzas. They hydroplane. Michelin Pilots, Primacys (backordered), Energies rated 9/10. Yokos were 7/8. They are great tires for the price...its not like our cars are brand new....but they run like they are

• 3 months later...
Since your from Florida....do you want all seasons or summer tires? What specifically are you looking for in replacement rubber?

I just got 4 new Yokohama Avids which are all season tires for about 500$. Thats a good deal since the cheapst michelins were 1,000. My mechanic says that he wouldnt rate Michelins over these tires. Yokos are OEM on this car. I have nitrogen in the tires and you feel everything....to much for me but if you like the performance, agressive feel you will like them. I had Yokos YK420s all season, which in my terms were not so bumpy like the Avids. But keep in mine I only have 1,500 miles on the new ones. And the first month I could feel the difference day to day as the bounce wore off but i do not think they will get any better...nitrogen may be part of the culprit.

From all the research I did stay away from Bridgestone Potenza and Turanzas. They hydroplane. Michelin Pilots, Primacys (backordered), Energies rated 9/10. Yokos were 7/8. They are great tires for the price...its not like our cars are brand new....but they run like they are

When I had my '96 ES, I tried everything under the sun...and the ONLY tires that worked for me where the Michelins. I've had the Exalto's and the Primacy's...and you can't go wrong with either one. The Exalto's grip the best...but have a 20K mile SHORTER life span. On my '00 ES, I have the Primacy's installed and they are 4lbs heavier, which does make a difference on the gas mileage....but they are smooooooooth as butter...especially at 110mph!

Tony

Atlanta, GA