Susspinsion "leak"

killerFatty

My 93 Ls is dripping a dark fluid from the cv boot I believe. It's only coming out of the front right wheel area, which is the same wheel that impacted the fire hydrant a month or so ago. My wheel alignment is also off. Should the cv boots be replaced or do you think more susspinsion work is needed?

It could very well be the ps boot. The fluid is the same color as my PS fluid. I hope that I didn't damage the rack but if I did how would I be able to check. Is there a DIY write up on the boot and tie rod ends or should I just pay to have that done? THX alot KF

It could very well be the ps boot. The fluid is the same color as my PS fluid. I hope that I didn't damage the rack but if I did how would I be able to check. Is there a DIY write up on the boot and tie rod ends or should I just pay to have that done? THX alot KF

KF,

I can tell you from experience, as can many others on here (including the previous responder to your post) that your car has no front CV boot.

A CV boot is a "COnstant Velocity" boot. A boot that goes over a "Constant Velocity" Joint. If you have the worlds ONLY AWD LS400, then you would have those :lol: . IF not, then I agree it is most likely your pwr steering rack leaking. In which case it will cost you:

~$1300 if a mechanic does it

~$400+Alignment if you do it.

Josh

If i were you I would just jack up the car and get under there and check it out. Maybe just the boot is torn. Rebuilt rack and tie rod ends are not too expensive and you can install yourself. Bleed the system and get allignment done.

If i were you I would just jack up the car and get under there and check it out. Maybe just the boot is torn. Rebuilt rack and tie rod ends are not too expensive and you can install yourself. Bleed the system and get allignment done.

depending on the consistency of the fluid and the severity of the impact it may very well be leaking hydraulic fluid from the shock absorber.

if it's rather thick, likely the rack got internally raped, if it's lighter its likely shock oil, feels heavier (think more like astroglide vs. ky jelly) it's likely PS fluid.

the fluid is nearly Identicel to my PS fluid. I will check the shocks and boot for leaks today. How would I check the rack? and how in the world would I go about taking it out and replaceing it? I was planning on replacing the tie rod ends, should I do "inner", "outer" or both? Also is there a DIY on that? I let you know what I find as soon as I can. THX

the fluid is nearly Identicel to my PS fluid. I will check the shocks and boot for leaks today. How would I check the rack? and how in the world would I go about taking it out and replaceing it? I was planning on replacing the tie rod ends, should I do "inner", "outer" or both? Also is there a DIY on that? I let you know what I find as soon as I can. THX

if its the rack just replace the whole damn thing from a salvaged car, tie rods and all.

if its the rack just replace the whole damn thing from a salvaged car, tie rods and all.

Dude, call autozone/oriellys, or one of those chains, and tell them what you are looking for. I priced a remaned R&P for a friends LS from Autozone for $389. Toyota wanted $1100 for the same remaned part.

Dude, call autozone/oriellys, or one of those chains, and tell them what you are looking for. I priced a remaned R&P for a friends LS from Autozone for $389. Toyota wanted $1100 for the same remaned part.

What am I looking at labor wise? Can I DIY or is it a mechanic job? If so how much for labor? I know a guy with a good parts car, but Is it worth it to take out a used one or just buy one? THX