Someone Please Help Me, I Love This Car

sherlockshah

I have a 1990 Lexus LS400, I am the second owner for about 3 years. I bought from the original owner. The car is mint condition. THIS is the problem I am having, I was on the highway going to a friends house to show him the car because I was hearing some type of noise in the rear. ON the way there the car speedodometer went to like 120 and the car slowed down and stopped. THe motor is still running but the car stays in neutral. It does not go forward or backward, it stays neutral. My friend is saying my pumpkin the rear end is broken. I just wanted some opinions here on what it could be. THe car is not driveable so I wanted to do some research before i get ripped off. Anyone know where I can get a rear end for this car?

Have you verified that the drive shaft is turning where it meets the differential? It isn't just a broken U-joint, is it?

Oooo....doesnt sound good. either a transmission or diff, unless its a computer problem. how many miles?

Have you verified that the drive shaft is turning where it meets the differential? It isn't just a broken U-joint, is it?

Oooo....doesnt sound good. either a transmission or diff, unless its a computer problem. how many miles?

The car has 105k miles, what is a U JOINT?, I did look under the car, the big shaft does spin, the speedodometer goes up when you shift into drive or reverse, but the car does not move? IF the U joint is broken is that what connects the big spinning shaft into the pumpkin?

The car has 105k miles, what is a U JOINT?, I did look under the car, the big shaft does spin, the speedodometer goes up when you shift into drive or reverse, but the car does not move? IF the U joint is broken is that what connects the big spinning shaft into the pumpkin?

Yes, but that isnt broken, its your diff(pumpkin) if your "big shaft" is spinning :lol: Thats not a common part failure though. Check your trans fluid.

If it looks good, drain the pumpkin and take a pic of the fluid. check the drain plug for metal shavings. If you can, stick a magnet on a stick in the hole and poke around. This will give a good indication as to whether or not its bad.

Yes, but that isnt broken, its your diff(pumpkin) if your "big shaft" is spinning :lol: Thats not a common part failure though. Check your trans fluid.

If it looks good, drain the pumpkin and take a pic of the fluid. check the drain plug for metal shavings. If you can, stick a magnet on a stick in the hole and poke around. This will give a good indication as to whether or not its bad.

BY the way guys, I own two of these great cars, One is a 1992 which I have had for 4 years with no problems, the steering line seems to be broken, which I will fix this spring, ive had such good luck with that one that i bought this 1990 from the original owner. HERE is what I think happen. I was stuck in the snow here in chicago and had few days where I kinda abused the car trying to get it out, going back and forth spinning the wheels and all :(, I have to tow the car to a mechanic to really find out I guess, I just want to try to get an idea here first before I get ripped off. THANKS For all your help, if there is a step by step way I can check at home I would love that.

ONce again the drive shaft spins but the car does not go into gear, forward or reverse, it just stays in neutral.

HERE is what I think happen. I was stuck in the snow here in chicago and had few days where I kinda abused the car trying to get it out, going back and forth spinning the wheels and all :(, I have to tow the car to a mechanic to really find out I guess, I just want to try to get an idea here first before I get ripped off. THANKS For all your help, if there is a step by step way I can check at home I would love that.

ONce again the drive shaft spins but the car does not go into gear, forward or reverse, it just stays in neutral.

Bingo, the truth comes out. You probably broke a half-shaft as ArmyofOne mentioned. There is one for each side of the differential that drives each wheel.

You gave it a bunch of gas trying to get unstuck and when a tire finally grabbed dry pavement, the shaft was severely stressed.

With the car in gear, the drive shaft spinning, do you see one of the smaller half-shafts hanging limp or seemingly unconnected, or maybe spinning w/o turning the wheel?

If you jack up the back of the car w/o the engine running and tranny in neutral, can you spin one of the wheels freely by hand? Try each wheel this way and see if the drive shaft turns at all.

Or if turning one of the wheels causes the other to turn.

I've got to nominate this thread as the most entertaining one I've seen in a long time.

"What is a U JOINT?"

" ... connects the big spinning shaft into the pumpkin?"

I feel your pain but I just have to laugh.

I've got to nominate this thread as the most entertaining one I've seen in a long time.

"What is a U JOINT?"

ROFLMAO. It's like Abbot and Costello's "Who's on First."

"What is a U JOINT?"

Yeah, I think I got the "big spinning shaft into the pumpkin" from the large multinational corporation I used to work for. :rolleyes:

"What is a U JOINT?"

Yeah, I think I got the "big spinning shaft into the pumpkin" from the large multinational corporation I used to work for. :rolleyes:

:lol::pirate: :P :whistles: :wacko: :chairshot: :blink::lol:

HERE is what I think happen. I was stuck in the snow here in chicago and had few days where I kinda abused the car trying to get it out, going back and forth spinning the wheels and all :(, I have to tow the car to a mechanic to really find out I guess, I just want to try to get an idea here first before I get ripped off. THANKS For all your help, if there is a step by step way I can check at home I would love that.

Bingo, the truth comes out. You probably broke a half-shaft as ArmyofOne mentioned. There is one for each side of the differential that drives each wheel.

You gave it a bunch of gas trying to get unstuck and when a tire finally grabbed dry pavement, the shaft was severely stressed.

With the car in gear, the drive shaft spinning, do you see one of the smaller half-shafts hanging limp or seemingly unconnected, or maybe spinning w/o turning the wheel?

If you jack up the back of the car w/o the engine running and tranny in neutral, can you spin one of the wheels freely by hand? Try each wheel this way and see if the drive shaft turns at all.

In the case of an LS400, If you have a broken halfshaft on one side, neither will spin. Its likely theres a busted one. It may not even look broken. If you have the car on the jack and you can spin one wheel without the other spinning, that isolates the problem. I will take a picture of a halfshaft and what it looks like for you if you need me to. They look about the same for all cars.

In the case of an LS400, If you have a broken halfshaft on one side, neither will spin. Its likely theres a busted one. It may not even look broken. If you have the car on the jack and you can spin one wheel without the other spinning, that isolates the problem. I will take a picture of a halfshaft and what it looks like for you if you need me to. They look about the same for all cars.

YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME! sorry for not knowing stuff! let me tell you my next bad luck thing :( my 1992 lexus has 120k miles, when i shift from P to D it makes like a violent tug forward :(, THE car drives fine but sometimes when the motor is not warm all the way it does this. My friend says its the clutch plates in the tranny, what do you guys think it is?

HERE is what I think happen. I was stuck in the snow here in chicago and had few days where I kinda abused the car trying to get it out, going back and forth spinning the wheels and all :( , I have to tow the car to a mechanic to really find out I guess, I just want to try to get an idea here first before I get ripped off. THANKS For all your help, if there is a step by step way I can check at home I would love that.

YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME! sorry for not knowing stuff! let me tell you my next bad luck thing :( my 1992 lexus has 120k miles, when i shift from P to D it makes like a violent tug forward :( , THE car drives fine but sometimes when the motor is not warm all the way it does this. My friend says its the clutch plates in the tranny, what do you guys think it is?

Hey Sherl, first of all welcome to the club! :cheers:

Don't worry about the harsh shift when the engine is cold. It happens because of the high idle. If you want to minimize the jerk, don't shift directly into D. Go into N first, release the service brake, then shift into D or R whichever is applicable. Of course make sure the coast is clear because you'll start to move as soon as you shift. Otherwise wait until the idle drops once the engine warms up. If your car is mint, read up on this site. Plenty of info to help you keep it that way.

HERE is what I think happen. I was stuck in the snow here in chicago and had few days where I kinda abused the car trying to get it out, going back and forth spinning the wheels and all :( , I have to tow the car to a mechanic to really find out I guess, I just want to try to get an idea here first before I get ripped off. THANKS For all your help, if there is a step by step way I can check at home I would love that.

YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME! sorry for not knowing stuff! let me tell you my next bad luck thing :( my 1992 lexus has 120k miles, when i shift from P to D it makes like a violent tug forward :( , THE car drives fine but sometimes when the motor is not warm all the way it does this. My friend says its the clutch plates in the tranny, what do you guys think it is?

Don't worry about the harsh shift when the engine is cold. It happens because of the high idle. If you want to minimize the jerk, don't shift directly into D. Go into N first, release the service brake, then shift into D or R whichever is applicable. Of course make sure the coast is clear because you'll start to move as soon as you shift. Otherwise wait until the idle drops once the engine warms up. If your car is mint, read up on this site. Plenty of info to help you keep it that way.

IT did not do that before though, it just started too, i checked the transfluid its full, IM going to take pictures and post them so you guys can see my cars, NO dents, dings, Original paint on both cars, both 1 owner cars. I even have the window sticker :) These were expensive back then! DO you have instant message on aim??? my screen name is shirish789 please IM me.

IT did not do that before though, it just started too, i checked the transfluid its full, IM going to take pictures and post them so you guys can see my cars, NO dents, dings, Original paint on both cars, both 1 owner cars. I even have the window sticker :) These were expensive back then! DO you have instant message on aim??? my screen name is shirish789 please IM me.

Any update on the LS? The ES's behavior is normal. Mine used to do that when i had it. It had close to 200K and was a flawless ride too. 2 weeks after i finished restoring it ($6500 worth of parts and labor), I totalled it :angry: :( :o

Any update on the LS? The ES's behavior is normal. Mine used to do that when i had it. It had close to 200K and was a flawless ride too. 2 weeks after i finished restoring it ($6500 worth of parts and labor), I totalled it :angry: :( :o

its snowing here, and have not had the car up to see what you were talking about. I have to wait for the weather to clear up and get warmer. IF you can put a picture of the part you think is broken for the 1990 ls400 the one that wont go into gear please put the picture up or email me suprashirish@hotmail.com. THanks in advance, also what do you think the cost for the part will be to fix the car? ALSO do you know anyone that would just buy the car as is. 105k miles blue on blue fully loaded, 1990 2owner car, what do you think i can get for it as is.

its snowing here, and have not had the car up to see what you were talking about. I have to wait for the weather to clear up and get warmer. IF you can put a picture of the part you think is broken for the 1990 ls400 the one that wont go into gear please put the picture up or email me suprashirish@hotmail.com. THanks in advance, also what do you think the cost for the part will be to fix the car? ALSO do you know anyone that would just buy the car as is. 105k miles blue on blue fully loaded, 1990 2owner car, what do you think i can get for it as is.

DOnt give up on it yet. Even if it isnt the halfshaft, Its VERY rare that an LS with ANY mileage has a problem like this that will cost any more than $500 to fix. The trannies are bullet proof. Ill take a pic when my wife gets home with the car. :)