Odometer With Used Instrument Cluster

Myce

I recently purchased a used 1992 Instrument Cluster for my 1990 LS400, and I'd like to know if it is possible for me to remove my original odometer from my 1990 Instrument Cluster and install it on the 1992. The odometer is externally attached near the bottom right corner on both clusters, and it appears to be removable, with several wires plugging into the large circuit board (there are two boards). But, I'd like to know for sure if this will work before attempting it. Does anyone know?

Here is a photo of my 1990 odometer after it was removed from my Instrument Cluster:

1990-odometer-1.jpg

Obviously, the odometer can be easily removed from the cluster, but I'm wondering if it needs to be setup with the 1992 cluster in any way that doesn't meet the eye? My guess is that it can be just plugged in, and it will continue to advance with new mileage. But, since I'm not a mechanic or electrical engineer, I'm looking for a Lexus guru to confirm this. Thanks!

Since I got no replies to this thread, I decided to go for broke and install my original, 1990 odometer in my replacement, 1992 Instrument Cluster, and it worked like a charm! Then, I drove the car to the grocery store, and it started adding miles to both the digital trip meter and the analog odometer, exactly like it's supposed to do. :cheers:

Myce, sorry your question fell through the cracks. I'm surprised your odometer is still working at 207698 miles since they commonly fail many miles earlier. The odometer on the 90 LS I had failed at about 125,000 miles -- at least they are cheap to replace.

Congrats!

That is good info for the next guy with that issue!

:cheers:

Yeah, that's what I figured! I saw a couple of older posts that asked the question, but I never found the answer. At least now we know that it will work! ;)

Myce, sorry your question fell through the cracks. I'm surprised your odometer is still working at 207698 miles since they commonly fail many miles earlier. The odometer on the 90 LS I had failed at about 125,000 miles -- at least they are cheap to replace.

Yeah, the original odometer is still working, Jim! But, now that I have it safely working in the '92 Instrument Cluster, I have a NEW problem with the Temperature Guage - as soon as I turn the key in a cold engine, the needle immediately bounces up to the highest meter reading possible and stays there. Do you have any idea what I might have done to cause this? Now, I'm starting to wonder if the '90 Temp Gauge will work with the '92 Cluster! :blush:

Yeah, the original odometer is still working, Jim! But, now that I have it safely working in the '92 Instrument Cluster, I have a NEW problem with the Temperature Guage - as soon as I turn the key in a cold engine, the needle immediately bounces up to the highest meter reading possible and stays there. Do you have any idea what I might have done to cause this? Now, I'm starting to wonder if the '90 Temp Gauge will work with the '92 Cluster! :blush:

Nope, no idea on the temp gauge problem. Maybe the temp gauge in the 92 cluster is defective. I think the cluster is the same on the 90 through 92 LS ... not much changed in those three model years ... a summary is at: http://www.lexls.com/info/lsgenerations.html

• 6 years later...

1992 LS 400: my odometer quit at 372000. Impossible to get parts/ repair and the replacements have been discontinued. All we could do was to put in a used one with the lowest mileage possible. Thank-you all for your advice, it helped us a lot.