94' Ls 400 Old Problem

Preachdave

It's been a while since I checked in, but my LS400 has continued the fall apart. As those who tried to help in the past know, this all began when the heater only blew cold air. Not that uncommon a problem in an older car, so I replaced the thermostat (which has been done twice), all hoses, have cleaned the valve, flushed, burped, and refilled. cleaned out the ENTIRE system. replaced sensors, NO BLOWN fuses or relays, and still nothing. But, as time went on, I began loosing other things. The tilt steering stuck in the up position, the temperature gauge quit, then the speedometer and cruise quit, then both lighters. It seems like every couple of days, another system fails. Believe it or not, the car runs like a top, just nothing works. Again, there are NO BURNED fuses, and all relays have checked out. I replace both temperature sensors in the manifold (sender unit and fan switch) just to be on the safe side. Presently, the dashboard looks skeletonized. I hope I can remember how and where everything goes. I finally threw up my hands and took it to the mechanic I have do some of my work. He refused to work on it after I told him the story. He said, with an older Lexus, he could spend a LONG time and a lot of my money and still not find the exact problem. Of course the dealer wants my whats left of my retirement fund just to look at it. I am running out of ideas. I am up for any suggestions, PLEASE!

Thanks for all the suggestions. Of course I've checked all fuses and relays. Gone through the wiring (except in the truck) which I'm going to try next thanks to amcdonal86. Keep the ideas coming. I appreciate anything. Oh by the way, this moring the Overdrive light started flashing on and off. Everything I've done so far, except for the thermostat, hoses, flushing and filling, has come from mechanics.

It doesn't do any good to start replacing stuff and doing things without first diagnosing the problems. Does your mechanic down there in Wi-cheat-a normally work on Lexus cars? If he does not, is there an indie shop there that specializes in Lexus?

I'd recommend either punting your car or getting it to somebody who knows Lexus cars. An older LS400 can get a little expensive to maintain as it ages but the cost of repairs is usually substantially less than buying a different car. I spent an average of about $1,000/year on repairs and maintenance during the final four years I owned the 90 LS400 I sold in 2003 at 183,000 miles.

If you don't depend on your car as a daily driver, PM me and I'll provide info about the indie Lexus repair shop in Mission KS that I've used for over 10 years. It's a healthy drive from Wichita to Mission but it might be worth your time.

I handed him a $10.00 bill and said "Thank you, lunch is on me"!!

:lol: I bet that's the best $10 you've spent!

It's been a while since I checked in, but my LS400 has continued the fall apart. As those who tried to help in the past know, this all began when the heater only blew cold air. Not that uncommon a problem in an older car, so I replaced the thermostat (which has been done twice), all hoses, have cleaned the valve, flushed, burped, and refilled. cleaned out the ENTIRE system. replaced sensors, NO BLOWN fuses or relays, and still nothing. But, as time went on, I began loosing other things. The tilt steering stuck in the up position, the temperature gauge quit, then the speedometer and cruise quit, then both lighters. It seems like every couple of days, another system fails. Believe it or not, the car runs like a top, just nothing works. Again, there are NO BURNED fuses, and all relays have checked out. I replace both temperature sensors in the manifold (sender unit and fan switch) just to be on the safe side. Presently, the dashboard looks skeletonized. I hope I can remember how and where everything goes. I finally threw up my hands and took it to the mechanic I have do some of my work. He refused to work on it after I told him the story. He said, with an older Lexus, he could spend a LONG time and a lot of my money and still not find the exact problem. Of course the dealer wants my whats left of my retirement fund just to look at it. I am running out of ideas. I am up for any suggestions, PLEASE!

Your probs aren't necessarily all related. Gauges can die on their own. With the temp gauge, I would verfiy that the sensors you replaced are to spec and working. If so, then check contunuity of the wiring to the gauge. Next check the gauge itself. With the speedo, likely the speed sensor needs to be replaced. With the cig lighters, replace the fuse. Sounds like you're torn apart the dash. Hope you took some pics to help you put it back together. Lexls has some pics that might help you:

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/electrical/...entcluster.html

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I have no suggestions but I will share this little story with you. I had a 2001 BMW 328ci coupe with 90 k miles on it. It was running fine and then one day, the a/c quit, the power windows quit, the cruise quit, the wipers quit, the radio quit. I was beside myself. I took it to the dealer ( I was visiting in Baltimore in July ) and didnt have any other place to take it. The "guy" that worked on electrical stuff spent 5 days, yes 5 days on it and couldnt figure it out. The car had never been wrecked, flooded etc.. so that wasnt it. He FINALLY told me I needed a new complete wiring harness. About 3 grand for the harness and major labor. I told him that couldnt be it because the other stuff was still working. He replaced something ? and called and said it was fixed. I paid the 900 dollars for it and before I left the lot, it did the EXACT same thing. I was livid. I couldnt believe it. I went back in and they refused to work on it and said they didnt know how to fix it. IT WAS AT BMW SERVICE, I said, where do I take it if YOU guys cant fix it ? They didnt know. :huh:

I left Baltimore 900 light in the wallet and went to Dallas. I have a friend that has a 7 series and knows the service manager at the Dallas/Ft.Worth store. Remember I had no Ac, no cruise etc.. this whole time. I was sweating like a pig, 100 plus temp. I took it in and they had it ONE HOUR and it was fixed. I was astounded. I had to speak to the tech and he said he checked the power voltage going to the harness from something and it was getting a reading but low. He took out the center console and apparantly the previous owner had spilled a coke (think sticky) or something in there and the car was prewired for a cell phone and the coke had gummed up the harness at that point. He cleaned it and retaped it and it was done. No kidding. Everything was perfect.

The store in Dallas went to bat for me and got me in touch with the main guy I needed to get with and they refunded me 750 of the 900 because of the trouble.

It CAN be something that small. It was amazing to me, still is . I wish you the best of luck with you troubles. :(

It's been a while since I checked in, but my LS400 has continued the fall apart.

Dont feel alone... I know how you feel. Everytime I fix something on my LS, something else breaks.

Finally got the power steering leak stopped, now the "fan bracket bearing" went out, the car is totally undriveable and the mechanic I was going to use does not even show it listed in his book for the labor price for this part only. He said its probably an hour job, but he kept insisting that this is probably the same setup as the 3.0L V6. :rolleyes:

Now I am down to needing:

motor mounts

transmission mount

HVAC board

coolant level sensor

(and maybe a PS pump if it starts leaking again)

Good luck with your car.