Timing Belt B-r-o-k-e-n

motoroil

I got my muffler fixed, on the way home, crap.

Car died. Looks most likely like timing belt broke.

Being towed to my mechanic tomorrow.

ES300 motor is an interference engine, correct? Meaning the motor is probably dead now (bent valves)?

Any advice?:cries:

115k miles on it!!! Arrrrggghhhhh!!!!!!

no....you ve got a non interference motor......lucky.....new belt only!

This is possibly the BEST news ever.... can someone corroborate this? I just don't wanna get my hopes too high unless I'm sure.......

93 ES300 3VZ-FE motor.

AND to make sure it doesn't break again--do I need to go dealer for water pump, belt, and both the idler/tensioner? Prolly cost me an arm and a leg. I went ebay cheap the first time won't do that again. Can I use Autozone/Advance auto parts stuff? Or dealer?

The main cause of the belt breaking is that coolant or contamination from a leaking water pump has caused it to dry,crack and deteriorate,or maybe it was just plain worn . My last belt and water pump cost 700cdn(incl labor)......but i have peace of mind and miles to go. The pump isn t that expensive and while they re at the belt you may as well replace it(pump) unless its been done recently and it don t sound like it has. You ve gotta find a shop you trust,(ahead of time) dealer or not, cause when you have problems you don t want to have to shop for one.

The main cause of the belt breaking is that coolant or contamination from a leaking water pump has caused it to dry,crack and deteriorate,or maybe it was just plain worn . My last belt and water pump cost 700cdn(incl labor)......but i have peace of mind and miles to go. The pump isn t that expensive and while they re at the belt you may as well replace it(pump) unless its been done recently and it don t sound like it has. You ve gotta find a shop you trust,(ahead of time) dealer or not, cause when you have problems you don t want to have to shop for one.

could also be that the timing belt is 16 years old (if it is the original one). Just heat alone will be enough to crack and dry out a rubber timing belt.

Rubber accessory belts and timing belts have a life expectancy of 5-7 years, anything after that is borrowed time. I would also suggest you change out the water pump at the same time. Figure while the mechanic is in there, saves on doing the same work twice.

steviej

Nah, the timing belt was only a day old. I just replaced the timing belt, water pump, idler, tensioner, thermostat, fan belts, coolant.

I bought the tbelt and water pump off ebay, and the quality must just be crap. The other parts are all name brand, and some of them genuine Toyota.

Assuming my diagnosis is right and the tbelt is snapped, then I'll replace it, and probably the water pump too since it was the same brand.

That said, HALLELUJAH! HALLELUJAH!! WOOOOHOOOOOO!!! :D

Thank you Toyota for a non-interference motor!!!!!!! :D

:D

Nah, the timing belt was only a day old. I just replaced the timing belt, water pump, idler, tensioner, thermostat, fan belts, coolant.

I bought the tbelt and water pump off ebay, and the quality must just be crap. The other parts are all name brand, and some of them genuine Toyota.

Assuming my diagnosis is right and the tbelt is snapped, then I'll replace it, and probably the water pump too since it was the same brand.

Do you remember from who you bought your timing belt on ebay??

Cause I just bought it from performance parts on ebay.

Do you remember from who you bought your timing belt on ebay??

Cause I just bought it from performance parts on ebay.

It wasn't performance parts--you're in good shape :)