08 Gs350 - 3 Major Issues

I have an 08 GS350 w/15,000 miles that has had 3 major issues; one is common to many who post here and the other two are unique, I think:

1) I too have experienced the infamous dash creaking noises. Dealer has had it a couple of times for a number of days and sometimes it has improved when the vehicle is returned but it always comes back. The latest was yesterday when the creaking returned with a vengence. I would love to know the service bulletin numbers from Lexus for this problem. Does anyone have them or better still copies of the bulletins?

2) Driver's side seatbelt will not release to allow it to be put on. It seems to occur when the car is parked on a slight incline although even this is inconsistent. You can jiggle it, attempt to manually retract it, open the car door and play with it, all to no avail. You literally must drive the car a few hundred yards and then stop and attempt to release the belt again. It can take 3 or 4 short drives and stops to get it to finally release. After complaining 3-times the dealer was still refusing to do anything to remedy the problem because their position was, "if we cannot replicate the problem at the dealership we cannot replace the part". What? After I got a bit testy they did replace it. We'll see how it goes. Has this occured to others?

3) Here is the biggy! Started my car a couple of weeks ago on a cold morning and all of a sudden it began running roughly, every dash warning light came on and the engine would only run in limp mode. To make a long story short, after a 2 1/2 hour tow to the nearest dealership and a 2 1/2 hour drive back with my loaner (I was away on vacation), they found a broken valve spring. When is the last time you heard of a broken valve spring on any car, new or old?

Would I buy another GS - the answer is unequivocally NO. Will I buy another Lexus (this is my third)..... I won't judge yet but, it is very, very questionable.

MXRacer, I had the dash rattle as well, the dealer tried 3 times to fix it without success. I heard there is a redesign dash clip that just came out that is suppose to fix the problem. If I were you, I would ask your dealer about it.

I too were very much like you, had quite a few Lexus before my 08 GS. The GS has been by far the most disapointing Lexus I have ever own. It had reliability issue, rattles everywhere, starting issues and squeaky brakes. My last 4 Lexus were close to being perfect, although each newer Lexus I had were not as good as the older one. I personally will not buy another Lexus until they turn things around.

MXRacer, I had the dash rattle as well, the dealer tried 3 times to fix it without success. I heard there is a redesign dash clip that just came out that is suppose to fix the problem. If I were you, I would ask your dealer about it.

I too were very much like you, had quite a few Lexus before my 08 GS. The GS has been by far the most disapointing Lexus I have ever own. It had reliability issue, rattles everywhere, starting issues and squeaky brakes. My last 4 Lexus were close to being perfect, although each newer Lexus I had were not as good as the older one. I personally will not buy another Lexus until they turn things around.

Just had mine in for 5,000 mile service, asked them to fix the windshield creaking, dealer stuffed some foam between dash and windshield. Will see how it works. I have Starfire Pearl paint and am noticing small rust spots, dealer says rail dust, am taking it back to have them buffed out. Anyone else have this problem?

Many people have tried that do it yourself solution for the dash creak. The foam between the dash and windshield sometimes work for a while or sometimes not at all. All they are doing is stretching out the dash board clips, the creaking noise will come out once the clips are stretch out. The real fix is to change to th new clips and apply a foam tape kit for the rest of the dash, its a expensive job.

Rail dust is a common problem but its easily remove by any pro. detailer or some clay bar.

Just had mine in for 5,000 mile service, asked them to fix the windshield creaking, dealer stuffed some foam between dash and windshield. Will see how it works. I have Starfire Pearl paint and am noticing small rust spots, dealer says rail dust, am taking it back to have them buffed out. Anyone else have this problem?

I did it myself for my 07GS350. The foam won't work. It has to be something made of eslatic material.

I think what happens the entire dash board is shaking when the car runs over a bump. They have a loose dashboard. When the dashboard shakes, it rubs agaisnt the windshield and causes the

creaking noise. I used the vibration dampener made of eslatic material. And it works. The foam still makes creaking noise when the dashboard rubs against it.

Don't do the TSB for this problem. It won't resolve the noise.

Got 9LA 9LB, squealing brake noise (Lexus uses different shim for the pads), and TSB for too much brake dust services in one day.

The dealer filled the gas tank for 9LA service.

I did it myself for my 07GS350. The foam won't work. It has to be something made of eslatic material.

I think what happens the entire dash board is shaking when the car runs over a bump. They have a loose dashboard. When the dashboard shakes, it rubs agaisnt the windshield and causes the

creaking noise. I used the vibration dampener made of eslatic material. And it works. The foam still makes creaking noise when the dashboard rubs against it.

Got 9LA 9LB, squealing brake noise (Lexus uses different shim for the pads), and TSB for too much brake dust services in one day.

Sticking anything in between the dashboard and the windshield to stop the creaking noise is just a temporary fix. All you are doing is stretching out those plastic clips, the noise will come back sooner or later. Thats fix is fine if you dont plan to keep your car for long.

Sticking anything in between the dashboard and the windshield to stop the creaking noise is just a temporary fix. All you are doing is stretching out those plastic clips, the noise will come back sooner or later. Thats fix is fine if you dont plan to keep your car for long.

It has been 3 months since I placed the eslactic vibration damper between the dashboard & windshield. So far no more creaking noise.

• 2 weeks later...

Charlie, I have the same problem, dealer tried 5 times already - no fix so far. Where do you get this vibration dampener made of eslatic material? Does the dealer have it? Thanks

Charlie, I have the same problem, dealer tried 5 times already - no fix so far. Where do you get this vibration dampener made of eslatic material? Does the dealer have it? Thanks

I got the vibration dampener from where I work. I think the rubber pads people use to put on the closet shelves might work too. But the closet pad's thickness is only half what I used. So you may have to fold

it. My wife bought the closet pads from the Target or Walmart.

I got the vibration dampener from where I work. I think the rubber pads people use to put on the closet shelves might work too. But the closet pad's thickness is only half what I used. So you may have to fold

it. My wife bought the closet pads from the Target or Walmart.

:) Thank you so much, I am taking mine back for one more try this week Thursday, will let u know

Also there is a recall for gas pipes that they are doing already. I wonder about the brake pads - do u feel a difference in the braking performance?

:) Thank you so much, I am taking mine back for one more try this week Thursday, will let u know

Also there is a recall for gas pipes that they are doing already. I wonder about the brake pads - do u feel a difference in the braking performance?

Don't bother to bring the car back. The only way to fix the creaking noise is to remove the dashboard & make a repair.

The pad I mentioned before is called shelves liner. The creaking noise hasn't come back since I stuffed the dampener in the gap between the windshield & dashboard.

The location is between the vent hole & a small speaker on each side.

For the brake pads, I don't see any difference in braking performance.

The squealing noise is gone. So is the excessive brake dust. The new shims are used to fix the squealing noise. I asked them to replace the brake pads due to excessive brake dust while

they were going to put on the new shims.

I would highly recommend them use detailing clay, as to not buff through your clear coat.