Non-dealer Service

Bigla

I am from the Charleston SC area. Just got a 09 RX 350. Looking for a goodmechanic/shop to service the vehicle. Dealership prices are outrageous. I am not much of a DIY'er.

Thanks

Larry

You might want to check because with that new of a vehicle any work done by a non dealer may void any factory warranty on your vehicle.

Good Luck

I am from the Charleston SC area. Just got a 09 RX 350. Looking for a goodmechanic/shop to service the vehicle. Dealership prices are outrageous. I am not much of a DIY'er.

Thanks

Larry

You might want to check because with that new of a vehicle any work done by a non dealer may void any factory warranty on your vehicle.

Good Luck

Thanks, I guess I should have been clearer. any significant repair/service I would have done by the dealer, but the 5k services are rather routine and could be done by others w/o voiding warranty and w/o paying the extravagant prices that Lexus charges.

Larry

Hey Larry,

There has been some legislation (sorry, I forget the name of it :( ) that specifically allows a car owner to have maintenance done by a non-dealer.

I would suggest that you keep detailed receipts to prove the maintenance was actually done so that your warranty could not be voided just in case you have some issue down the road. Even if you do oil changes yourself it is ok, as long as you can show you purchased oil and filters for the maintenance.

Hopefully someone will weigh in on a trustworthy SC shop for you.

Good Luck

Absolutely untrue, it is illegal for a manufacturer to require the dealer to do scheduled maintenance.

i remember my dealer telling me i could have service done outside of the dealership, but he told me to make sure they have my car model's specific oil filter. i guess some lexus models have specific oil filter, anyway it shouldn't be a problem if u go to big places like jiffy lube and stuff.

Absolutely stay away from quicky lubes. Billy, I don't think manufacturers' warranty will allow you to diy drains. I believe it has to be a commercial shop/indie, someone with a business licence that is qualified to do that kind of service and can issue a receipt.

Absolutely stay away from quicky lubes. Billy, I don't think manufacturers' warranty will allow you to diy drains. I believe it has to be a commercial shop/indie, someone with a business licence that is qualified to do that kind of service and can issue a receipt.

Actually the law specifically says they must honor the warranty even if you do DIY maintenance. You just have to keep your reciepts for when you purchased the parts, and keep a log of exactly what you did and when.

It may be different down here in the States...

post-84496-1234828295_thumb.jpg

It may be different down here in the States...

post-84496-1234828295_thumb.jpg

Could be. Haven't had manufacturers' warranty in some time, so I can't comment on that coverage in Canada. That excerpt you attached is interesting. It states, "Maintenance and repair services may be performed by you or any automotive service provider you choose", and later "Lexus will not deny a warranty claim solely because you used a service provider other than a Lexus dealership for maintenance and repairs." I don't quite understand. In these two sentences, Lexus is equating the owner to an automotive provider without knowing anything about the owner. You notice they do not say "by you or anyone you choose", but "by you or any auto service provider you choose". Very curious wording.

Although I'm not familiar with current Lexus warranty stipulations, I have had aftermarket warranty, and it specifically stated diy does not qualifiy as requisite vehicle maintenance to ensure warranty coverage, receipts or no. It would surprise me if Lexus' warranty was less restrictive than a third party's. Bigla, I guess if you don't want to take SW's word for it, you will just have to do your own research to make sure.

Here is the Law that specifically excludes an auto manufacturer from voiding a warranty because the owner did DIY maintenance.

Anyhow, if you're in the US, look into the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Essentially, if a manufacturer is to require you to use only them for regular maintenance in order to keep the warranty, then they must also provide that maintenance for free. (No sales tie-in provisions to upkeep the warranty.) Since Toyota is not providing the free service, they cannot require you to use their dealers for oil changes to upkeep your warranty. So, as long as you can provide proof that the required maintenance work is performed (date/mileage on a receipt), you can have the work done at any dealer, independent shop, quickie-lube place, backyard mechanic, or DIY, and the warranty will be fine.

Just remember one thing you will no be considered a preferred customer if you have service performed outside of the Lexus dealership so if there are any non warranty issues after the mileage or time expires, believe me they will write you off and you will pay. That is a hard, cold fact. Just because you bought the car from them, in their eyes you are not loyal unless they soak you for all the service...

Just remember one thing you will no be considered a preferred customer if you have service performed outside of the Lexus dealership so if there are any non warranty issues after the mileage or time expires, believe me they will write you off and you will pay. That is a hard, cold fact. Just because you bought the car from them, in their eyes you are not loyal unless they soak you for all the service...

:cries:

The only reference in the 91 Canadian LS manual contains is as follows, "Please be aware that do-it-yourself maintenance can affect your warranty coverage". Can't find anything else in the manuals that come with the car. As in the US, provincial regulations would limit/define warrranty terms.

The only reference in the 91 Canadian LS manual contains is as follows, "Please be aware that do-it-yourself maintenance can affect your warranty coverage". Can't find anything else in the manuals that come with the car. As in the US, provincial regulations would limit/define warrranty terms.

eww...with wording like that I would be unlikely to diy until I was out of warranty, too. :huh:

I've done 95% of my own routine maintenance, both in-warranty and post-warranty, since the late 1970s and have never been denied a warranty claim by any manufacturer. If memory serves me correctly over that 30-plus years span of time, those manufacturers include Datsun, Fiat, Jeep, Chevrolet, Alfa Romeo, Ferrari, Acura, Honda, Dodge, Lexus, Chrysler, and now Jaguar. I can't remember ever being asked to produce my D-I-Y receipts for a warranty claim (but I always keep them because you never know when you will be required to so so)....

:cries:

However Billyshaft, Who cares, they dont deserve our money after the purchase. Warranty work until the mileage is done, and than adios.....