Firs Time Purchaser - Looking To Buy 1999 Rx 300

lodec

Hi guys,

I am a recent college grad - I have around 10k to purchase a reliable car to get me to work. I live in Philadelphia with occasionally snow storm. I was hoping to get an SUV like RX 300. Do you think I can get a decent RX for around 10k? What are some of the things that I should pay attention to when I purchase a car? Is it possible to get a Lexus mechanic to have a complete check up on the car? If so how much will it cost? Thank you so much for the advice :) I'm also open to other suggestion, anything within my 10k budget. Thank you!

Lorraine.

Hi guys,

I am a recent college grad - I have around 10k to purchase a reliable car to get me to work. I live in Philadelphia with occasionally snow storm. I was hoping to get an SUV like RX 300. Do you think I can get a decent RX for around 10k? What are some of the things that I should pay attention to when I purchase a car? Is it possible to get a Lexus mechanic to have a complete check up on the car? If so how much will it cost? Thank you so much for the advice :) I'm also open to other suggestion, anything within my 10k budget. Thank you!

Lorraine.

If you search this board I'd say you'd be a little crazy to buy a 99 and maybe even a 00 RX due to the sludge and transmission woes. I'd look at 01-03's and search for the best price you can get for an 01 or later RX.

Avoid the 99-01 rx's. People say 02-03 rx300's had the trannies fixed, but i think that's a bunch of crap...

The tranny failure would be a $4000 repair and you'd still probably have it fail...

To get the maximum reliability for around 10K in an area that really does not get much snow, I would not be looking at older luxury SUVs. A slightly used Toyota Corolla would most likely best fit your needs. Moving up the chain a little you have used Toyota matrix, Rav4, Pontiac Vibe. Somewhere between your needs and wants you will find a compromise.

A used 99 RX has 3 major issues. Potential engine sludge, potential trans failure, plus very expensive parts and service for Lexus specific items. If you were lucky enough to hit just 2 of these it could easily double your purchase price.

To get the maximum reliability for around 10K in an area that really does not get much snow, I would not be looking at older luxury SUVs. A slightly used Toyota Corolla would most likely best fit your needs. Moving up the chain a little you have used Toyota matrix, Rav4, Pontiac Vibe. Somewhere between your needs and wants you will find a compromise.

A used 99 RX has 3 major issues. Potential engine sludge, potential trans failure, plus very expensive parts and service for Lexus specific items. If you were lucky enough to hit just 2 of these it could easily double your purchase price.

Plus the 'rear engine seal' problem. Plus the cracked exhaust manifold risk.

Don't get a Lexus. Even if it didn't have the trans issues, which it does, it's still a luxury car and when little things fail, they're expensive. Look in the April (cars) issue of Consumer Reports. It lists best bets/cars to avoid. Also lists good choices at various price points. If you really want an SUV, look at CRV, RAV4, Forester. Also Subaru Legacy/Outback (but some years had head gasket failure issues which would need to be priced in) and Mazda wagon. Also Edmunds has a "what it costs to drive" comparison for whatever car you plug in.

Hi guys,

Lorraine.

Avoid the 99-01 rx's. People say 02-03 rx300's had the trannies fixed, but i think that's a bunch of crap...

Another opinion based on cold, hard facts I see :D

The transmission changes made between the 00 and 01 model year are WELL documented here in this forum and those who've been here for a while know this. Anyone who cares to mine the site for this info won't have to work very hard to find it. You're entitled to your opinion but it'd be more useful if you'd cite some evidence when going against the established facts.

Plus the 'rear engine seal' problem. Plus the cracked exhaust manifold risk.

I don't doubt that these maladies have struck RX owners but I really don't see them in statistically significant numbers to call them true issues inherent in the the RX specifically , Just MHO.

I have emails from over 80 RX owners with failed trannies, the years go all the way thru to 2002....So whether it be severe driving or poor maintenance it does happen and these trannies are very weak considering the weight and aerodynamics of the RX300 with basically a Camry transmission.

I have emails from over 80 RX owners with failed trannies, the years go all the way thru to 2002....So whether it be severe driving or poor maintenance it does happen and these trannies are very weak considering the weight and aerodynamics of the RX300 with basically a Camry transmission.

Just for my own curiosity, how many failures from 01-02's?? Just looking for statistical info, as I remember clearly that there were changes made to the trans in 01. Thx.

The RX300 is a good truck. Do a carfax and have your mechanic look at it and you should be fine. Good luck.

Lexuslady is entitled to her opinion, but notice she doesn't drive an RX. The tranny is way too weak for the size/weight of the car. The trans problems are extremely well documented and not something which necessarily would be discovered by a mechanic. Neither would a myriad of other issues on the horizon. And carfax really is next to worthless. Do yourself a favor and avoid an older RX.

I agree. Stay away from the 1999 and 2000 RX300. Inherent flaws include:

1. The much-discussed and debated engine sludge potential problem.

2. The "can no longer be disputed" transmission failure risk.

3. The common cracked exhaust manifold defect problem.

4. The common rear main oil seal defect problem.

5. The common front strut mounts bushings defect problem.

If items 3, 4, and 5 above have been addressed and replaced by a Lexus or Toyota service department since early 2004 on the particular vehicle you are interested in, then you probably have the redesigned parts that typically fix those particular issues much better than the original poorly-designed and/or manufactured parts did. But you're still on your own for items 1 and 2. In a nutshell, don't buy the 1999 or 2000 RX300 model years, particularly in all-wheel-drive configuration....

I agree. Stay away from the 1999 and 2000 RX300. Inherent flaws include:

1. The much-discussed and debated engine sludge potential problem.

2. The "can no longer be disputed" transmission failure risk.

3. The common cracked exhaust manifold defect problem.

4. The common rear main oil seal defect problem.

5. The common front strut mounts bushings defect problem.

If items 3, 4, and 5 above have been addressed and replaced by a Lexus or Toyota service department since early 2004 on the particular vehicle you are interested in, then you probably have the redesigned parts that typically fix those particular issues much better than the original poorly-designed and/or manufactured parts did. But you're still on your own for items 1 and 2. In a nutshell, don't buy the 1999 or 2000 RX300 model years, particularly in all-wheel-drive configuration....

I could not agree more. On our '99RX300, we have had the front strut mounts replaced, the rear engine seal replaced, and are currently beginning to experience some 'exhaust' noise when starting cold, which I cross my fingers and hope is only an exhaust manifold gasket giving up. The early RX gaskets 'dry out' .

The transmission changes made between the 00 and 01 model year are WELL documented here in this forum and those who've been here for a while know this. Anyone who cares to mine the site for this info won't have to work very hard to find it. You're entitled to your opinion but it'd be more useful if you'd cite some evidence when going against the established facts.

I've been a active member of the forum for over 4 years now and this is the first I am hearing about 'WELL documented" transmission changes between 00 and 01. I also tried mining the site as you suggest and found nothing. I have both model years and believe the trans is exactly the same.

Lexus didn't change the transmissions between the 00 and 01 model years. I don't know this for a "fact" but i'd be willing to put some money on it...

The only reason you don't have many reports of transmission issues coming from the 01 02 and 03 model years is because those models haven't gotten old enough yet. Lexus probably wasn't even aware of the inordinate amt of failures until the rx300 was out of production in Jan of 03!

Just my two cents.

I've been a active member of the forum for over 4 years now and this is the first I am hearing about 'WELL documented" transmission changes between 00 and 01.

Well you should have been paying more attention to the transmission problems posts back in 05 and 06. WWest had a number of posts detailing the changes. OK, so maybe that doesn't jibe with your definition of "well documented" but the trans problem threads are among the most viewed and the most posted to threads on this and the CL forums.

I also tried mining the site as you suggest and found nothing.

Not trying to be a wise-guy but here are some snippets I found in less than 10 min.

"The Engine/transaxle ECU control firmware in the 2001 models, use an ASL, Aggressive Shift Logic, technique wherein the transaxle is always kept in the highest gear ratio possible." wwest

also "as of about the year 2000 Toyota began adopting these techniques, for the 2001 Model year"

I don't have any vested interest in this being true, its just what I remember from dozens of posts and thousands of replies regarding transmission problems and from being on this forum for 5 + years.

I have both model years and believe the trans is exactly the same.

I have a theory that some (maybe many) of the 01's got the 00 version trannys until stocks were used up then the modified versions went into the rest of the 01-03's. Thats purely my theory , and I don't have much to back it up. There is this however

NHTSA complaint numbers for transmissions in the relevant years of RX's.

1999: 60 complaints

2000: 54 complaints

2001: 35 complaints

2002: 01 complaint

2003: 0 complaints

Maybe the change was made in 02 and not 01 as reported?

Either way an 03 model is plenty old enough to have the miles on the clock that would reveal transmission woes, the majority of failures seem to happen in the 60-120k mile window.

The only reason you don't have many reports of transmission issues coming from the 01 02 and 03 model years is because those models haven't gotten old enough yet.

So you're telling me that a 8 year old vehicle probably isn't old enough or doesn't have enough miles on it for a transmission issue to show up but a 9 year old one does??? :wacko:

In case you didnt read the previous post

Lexus didn't change the transmissions between the 00 and 01 model years. I don't know this for a "fact" but i'd be willing to put some money on it...

PM me and I'll tell you where to send the check :D

I've been a active member of the forum for over 4 years now and this is the first I am hearing about 'WELL documented" transmission changes between 00 and 01.

Well you should have been paying more attention to the transmission problems posts back in 05 and 06. WWest had a number of posts detailing the changes. OK, so maybe that doesn't jibe with your definition of "well documented" but the trans problem threads are among the most viewed and the most posted to threads on this and the CL forums.

I also tried mining the site as you suggest and found nothing.

Not trying to be a wise-guy but here are some snippets I found in less than 10 min.

"The Engine/transaxle ECU control firmware in the 2001 models, use an ASL, Aggressive Shift Logic, technique wherein the transaxle is always kept in the highest gear ratio possible." wwest

also "as of about the year 2000 Toyota began adopting these techniques, for the 2001 Model year"

I don't have any vested interest in this being true, its just what I remember from dozens of posts and thousands of replies regarding transmission problems and from being on this forum for 5 + years.

I have both model years and believe the trans is exactly the same.

I have a theory that some (maybe many) of the 01's got the 00 version trannys until stocks were used up then the modified versions went into the rest of the 01-03's. Thats purely my theory , and I don't have much to back it up. There is this however

Maybe the change was made in 02 and not 01 as reported?

Either way an 03 model is plenty old enough to have the miles on the clock that would reveal transmission woes, the majority of failures seem to happen in the 60-120k mile window.

So I guess it's safe to assume your "Well documented" changes are just some speculation from wwest without any facts.

You also may want to re-check your NHTSA numbers. Last time I checked 2001 was up to 45 trans failures.

If cduluk sends you a PM, I think it will be with his address so you know where to send the check.

So I guess it's safe to assume your "Well documented" changes are just some speculation from wwest without any facts.

You also may want to re-check your NHTSA numbers. Last time I checked 2001 was up to 45 trans failures.

Hey Mikey? Whats up with this? There was a lot of discussion regarding the changes back then on both forums, if you (and others) don't believe its true that's fine, I don't get anything out of trying to convince you. Folks can look it up for themselves if they're inclined.

As for the NHTSA numbers, I checked them before I posted (although it was actually 36) See attached.

Rhetoric aside, don't you think its at all odd that the numbers of complaints effectively cease in 02-03?post-1567-1231006588_thumb.jpg

Based on the numbers posted, I would certainly assume that issues were resolved by 02...or else Lexus has started killing people so they can't report the failures...one or the other. :)

I personally wouldn't rule out the purchase of an 02 or 03 based on tranny fears alone. The numbers just don't support the fear and loathing posited by some people. Even late production 01 RX's show a statistically significant chance of having the improved tranny.

As far as discounting the "opinions" of one poster over another, I think people have to remember that not all opinions are equal. For example: a gut feel from me isn't as worthy as an educated perspective from someone in a position to actually know.

The numbers are the facts. Impressions and feelings do not refute the facts in this case.

Here is what you missed. You have to add this to what you didn't miss for each respective year.

Mikey,

You're absolutely right! I hadn't noticed that some folks listed their vehicle type as "RX" as opposed to "RX 300", and that the two were considered separate categories. Of course, as expected, adding this extra category for each year adds to the totals of each year.

Here are the revised numbers of the relative years including both RX and RX 300 listings.

1999: 82 complaints

2000: 74 complaints

2001: 44 complaints

2002: 04 complaint

Rhetoric aside, don't you think its at all odd that the numbers of complaints effectively cease in 02-03?

I don't find this odd at all. As cduluk already pointed out, it's just because these years are not old enough yet. I prefer to use the Consumer Reports surveys, which are based on over 1.4 million surveys, compared to less than 200 RX trans failure complaints of NHTSA data. But since you started with NHTSA data lets stick with that. The complaint numbers you posted for 02 and 03 are through the end of 2008. So to do an accurate "point in time" comparison for 99 and 00 we need to look at all complaints filed through 2005. But NHTSA data doesn't list the filed date, only the date the filer claimed the failure occurred. So we have to use the failure date, which will skew the data in your favor somewhat, but not enough to keep me from making my point. The number of complaints for 1999RX trans failure through 2004 is "13". The number of complaints for 2000RX trans failure through 2004 is "0". I wonder if anyone back in January 2005 tried to make the case the RX trans problem was fixed in 2000 using this data?

Don't forget, it's not just about mileage, it's about time.

The number of complaints for the 02 & 03 transmission failures are lower than that of 99 and 00's because the 03's haven't gone through as much stress as the older models have. Time alone can aid in the aging process, not just mileage. Temperature changes also can cause this effect. Winter stress as well.

According to your theory, the reason 02's and 03's have less reports is because their transmissions were changed.

Why don't you look up the complaint numbers for another car all together, who's issues weren't changed in later model years. Try looking up issues reported for... i don't know, maybe the 02 to 06 Ford Explorers. The 02 and 06 Explorer share the same engine, same transmission. I'd be willing to bet you that the 02's have more complaints than the 06's!

This is my theory.

1. The 99's actually came out in early1998, i think April?. So when you say 99, it really means it's been on the road since early 98.

2. More 99's were sold than 00's 01's and 02's and 03's due to more time on market.

3. There weren't many 03's sold. Production for the 03's was between August of 02 till Jan of 03. While the other model years got full 12 months.

4. The tranny problem was mostly caused by poorly maintained fluids etc. When probs with the 99's arose, owners knew to start taking better care of their 02's and 03's.

5. Every year that passes brings on new stresses the 02's and 03's have had less of. Every winter a car is on the road, temperature changes can degrade the fluids. For southern owners, every hot summer can be even worse for tranny fluid. Time is a huge killer.

Someone look up the complaints for another car series. I bet you the results will be similar. Time = stress. It's the only common denominator.

Unless someone takes apart a 99 tranny and an 03 tranny and shows me the difference, i won't believe it. Just doesn't make sense to me that Lexus would change it.