Getting A Second Key W. Remote For The 2008 Rx350

Folks,

Just got the 1.5 yr old 2008 RX350. Got a good deal but it only came with one master and one valet key. My wife is a primary driver but I'd like to have a second key - easier on the weekends. I don't mind getting an "aftermarket" one, provided the procedure is straight forward, and would greatly appreciate a reference to a way to get it done. I could not find a post here on getting a second master key for 2008 RX.

BTW, does the new car come with two keys or also with one?

Thanks,

MT

Hi M.T.,

I believe that you will have to go to a dealer to get a new key made. I don't believe Lexus makes the key blanks available to a regular key maker/hardware store. And yes, the RX normally comes with (2) master keys and (1) valet key.

Congrats on your new Lex!

The keys can actually be cut by the dealer if you provide the VIN number and proof of ownership.

Sewell Lexus seems to have decent pricing on them (as far as dealers go). The key will then need the electronics programmed to work with your new sled. Programming is pretty straight-forward and if I remember correctly, Sewell has instructions on their web site. You can do it!

Don't cheap-out on the key. If you got a great deal on the car, go ahead and get the OEM key.

Folks,

Just got the 1.5 yr old 2008 RX350. Got a good deal but it only came with one master and one valet key.

MT

Curious. How did you come to acquire this machine? Dealer? Or private sale? If the latter, could your vehicle be "re-acquired" by the original owner or one of his acquaintances without your approval? (That's always been a concern of mine whenever I purchased a used vehicle, especially in the days when you could have dupes made at any Ace Hardware or Lowe's.)

Hi M.T.,

I believe that you will have to go to a dealer to get a new key made. I don't believe Lexus makes the key blanks available to a regular key maker/hardware store. And yes, the RX normally comes with (2) master keys and (1) valet key.

Actually, the 2009 RX350 comes with 4 keys, two masters, a valet and a credit card key.

Hi M.T.,

Actually, the 2009 RX350 comes with 4 keys, two masters, a valet and a credit card key.

I was sitting in the service area of my local Lexus dealer and heard a customer getting a second key programmed. With the cost of the key and the programming charge, it was well over $300! I nearly fell out of my chair! :o

You should have 2 master keys because if you only have one & you lose it, then you will have to have your ignition electronic reprogrammed & that will be very expensive like $800.

I bought another spare key off eBay & had it cut for $10 at my Lexus dealer & they reprogrammed it for free. Total cost was $35 for the OEM transponder, $15 for the uncut key & $10 cutting. Good price compared to dealer's $250 & the key works great. Also, second generation RX are not self programmable like the first generation RX, it needs a special programmer.

MT check out eBay seller : callexus. He has an uncut Lexus RX350 OEM transponder remote key for sale at $55.