Steering Vibration @ 65+mph

Okay, I purchased a 1999 lexus sc300. the seller told me the vehicle had a steering wooble at 70 or so mph. He and myself agreed that it was an alignment problem. I had an alignment and a tire balancing done, but even after that it still wobbles at 70mph. What gives!?

Check all the bushings, ball joints. Like the steering rack, upper and lower control arms, Wheel bearings. The easiest way to check the bearings is to lift the car up with the tires still on push and pull on the top and bottom of the tire. If it wobbles at all then the bearings are bad.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
My SC400 also have the same problem, I finally notice one of my rear wheel has excessive brake dust. The cause is one of my caliber is bad and it lock up the rotor. So cjeck all your brakes caliber and make sure they are all ok.

motor mounts and transmission mounts

In addition to checking mounts, etc., make sure that the dude spinning your wheels is using a high speed spin balance. Most shops run them up to about 40-45 mph and send you out onto the road. That's OK for most cars, but I have noticed that Toyota (Lexus) products have limited tolerances for these things. Up to and including front end alignment - make sure they know how to work on this brand...it's a different animal. Insist they speed up on the machine for your balance. Run if they tell you they can bubble balance them!