Teflon Coating Vs. Waxing

PilotguyPA28

I Pay a guy about $300 to Teflon my airplane once a year or so. It really looks great and holds up. The local Toyota/Lexus Dealer said it would be ok. The guy only want $125 for the car and said it would last a year easily.

Has anyone done this instead of waxing? If so, what was your experience?

Hello fellow Bamian!

that sounds very interesting! i heard of Dupont making some sort of Teflon wax product for vehicles years ago, but never knew what came of it. Is teflon sprayed on just like a topcoat of clear, and will he have to tape off the glass and trim? if you do such a trick, please take some before and after picks. I know that a plane takes much more abuse in the sky over a course of time than a car on the ground would, so maybe the Teflon would last longer on your car? or is one year when the protective coating loses its quality??

I've never seen him apply it but he told me it was a dry powder I believe. He would not have to tape off anything. Another pilot friend said he had his car done but it's an older car. He said it protected like a new wax job for a year. If that is the case $125 would not be bad.

The word "Teflon" is a gimmick a lot of detailer's use to sell. The product "Teflon" was created by Dupont and there was a lawsuit a while ago where Dupont sued companies that claimed THEY had "Teflon" products.

All it is, is a paint sealant.

I'd recommend buying your own paint sealant and doing it yourself. It applies just as easy as wax. Even the best sealant, I would reapply after 6 months. There is no way it would last 1 year. The most I stretched sealant on my last car was almost 9 months and that was with VERY religious maintenance.

I could buy a gallon of awesome sealant for ~$25. So save yourself $100 ;) heheh

• 1 month later...

Collinite 845 is what I use. I don't think it's intended specifically for cars--on the bottle it indicates it also has marine and RV uses. It has a deep shine and is VERY durable. The water will bead off the car for at least 6 months. And the bottle is only $15 or so and will last you for several waxings!

Why would you pay someone $125 to put "teflon" on your car?

Collinite 845 is what I use. I don't think it's intended specifically for cars--on the bottle it indicates it also has marine and RV uses. It has a deep shine and is VERY durable. The water will bead off the car for at least 6 months. And the bottle is only $15 or so and will last you for several waxings!

Why would you pay someone $125 to put "teflon" on your car?

A good wax job with a quality product will do the same if not better. Doesn't make any difference if you use a "sealer" or wax product, over time the surface gets grimy with stuff that washing won't remove and the finish begins to dull. So....time to reclean and "seal" the surface.

Just because the word "Teflon" is attahced to a product doesn't mean that it works any better. This is just advertising hype to make gullible folks think the product is going to keep stuff from sticking to it like a Teflon coated skillet. Not so, grassshopper!!

1) The "teflon" is generally a gimmick especially used to increase the dealere "prep" charges on new cars.

2) Most "waxes do not last more than a few weeks, especially in hot and dry areas of the country.

3) True sealants when applied properly will last a lot longer.

Suggest you research the different sealants. One of the better sites here on care care and also autopia.org. Here is the autopia product review site:

http://www.autopia.org/reviews/censura.php...p;category_id=2

Autopia also is a very good forum to ask your question. Their members include professional detailers, enthusiasts, and newbies.

Good luck

HRP

If this guy says he's applying a "powder based" teflon to your car...or your plane...he's taking you for a ride. What he's saying he's doing is not possible, he's just applying a wax and taking your money...

I found this doing a "powder based teflon wax" google search:

The Problems with PTFE and Silicon Based Paint Finish Products

According to G.R. Ansul of DuPont's Car Care Products, Specialty Products Division, "The addition of a Teflon¨ flouropolymer resin does nothing to enhance the properties of a car wax. We have no data that indicates the use of Teflon¨ fluoropolymer resins is beneficial in car waxes, and we have not seen data from other people that supports this position."

Ansul also notes that, "Unless Teflon¨ is applied at 700 degrees F, it is not a viable ingredient, and is 100 percent useless in protecting the paint's finish." (Source: Grisanti, Stephen, "The Truth About Teflon¨", Professional Carwashing & Detailing, January, 1989.)

And this:

How to Protect Your Paint With The Best Car Wax

There are also highly advertised Teflon based products on the market. It is my understanding that it requires a 600 plus degree environment to bond Teflon to your paint. So, unless you are applying it with a flamethrower, you may not be getting all you paid for. ... The polymer-based products will also tend to build up with several applications and this buildup may turn off color over time. The solution to this problem is to strip everything off and start again.

He has been in business doing this for 20 years. He does $20M jets down to autos. Same process. He's not applying wax.

I have no doubt he's ben doing this for 20 years...people don't realize what he's selling is not what he makes it out to be. Nothing wrong with that, how could they know that? But it is absolutely 100% not possible to bond teflon to a car, or a plane, or anything like that. it takes bare metal and temperatures of over 600 deg to apply a teflon coating, and even then teflon is not clear. Your car or plane would look like a nonstick pan.

Dealers sell $1200 paint protection systems that are nothing but an application of a $4 bulk sealant all the time.

Plenty of people do business unscrupulously and are very successful, and remain successful for many years.

I've been detailing cars for over 10 years, there just simply is no such product that can be applied to a painted surface such as that of a car or plane.

You can continue to believe him, or just do a little research on the subject for yourself. You will come to the conclusion we are correct.

Any recommendations on sealant brands? 3-6 months w/o waxing would be nice. Also, do you just apply it like wax? Links would help. Thanks.

Suggest you go here as one source for sealant reviews:

http://www.autopia.org/reviews/censura.php...p;category_id=2

I'm a Zaino Zealot and many would concur with me that Zaino's sealants (www.Zainostore.com) are probably the most durable of the lot, but differences of opinion are what makes horse races. That's why there is a large selection of sealants available. Zaino's or anyone else's AIO (All In One) is a good start for a quick and easy introduction to sealant application and use. Unfortunately, you can't run over to the nearest Wal-mart and buy Zaino or several other brands, you have to order them, pay shipping, and wait. Knowledge from research will allow you to by a good product locally; Mequiar's products for example.

Probably the most important point in applying any well recommended sealant and getting the best durability is the preparation of the finish. And we're talking really clean; no residue from any previous products. The surface should feel smooth to your fingertips inside a plastic sandwich bag. That's the hardest part of any sealant application: preparation!

If you've already got swirl marks, consider a sealant that at least says it will hide them. Almost all sealant applications are incredibly quick and very easy, but read the directions before you buy one. The biggest problem is applying far too much, especially on a light colored car. On a dark car it is easier since all you want is a haze. Most wipe off even easier. For best results and a deeper and more lasting shine, apply 2 or 3 coats. And one suggestion is to apply the sealant in a straight line: fore and aft on hood, top, and trunk and vertically on the sides which avoids creating swirls which you can get by applying it in a rotating fashion. You can apply it easily with a "random orbital buffer", but it takes me longer to get the buffer out and set it up than it does to apply a coat of sealant to an LS430. And remember, you can top a sealant with wax, but not vice versa. Hope this helps.

Don't forget the use of a QD (quick detailing) spray occasionally to keep it looking nick

Good luck.