Overdrive Problem

rmsellers

I have a 99 RX 300, 110000 mile on it, having problem with transmission not shifting into overdrive after it warms up. We have taken it to be checked they put it on the computer, it showed no problems , they changed fluid anyway but its still doing it, wondering if anyone else has had this problem .

I wonder if they did pending codes, those would not show up as a check engine light....Either that or they really didnt do a check at all. If the engine is running rough the knock sensors could be bad causing lost of overdrive.

transmission not shifting into overdrive after it warms up.

I just need to confirm that the above quote is correct. It is a common problem with the RX not shifting into overdrive before it warms up. This is the first time I have heard of one not shifting into overdrive after it warms up. Also I don't think pending codes will prevent the engine from shifting into overdrive. It has to be a regular check engine light code. If you don't have a check engine light on something else is going on here. If you do have a check engine light on, fix the problem, even though it may appear unrelated, and the overdrive situation will be gone.

transmission not shifting into overdrive after it warms up.

I just need to confirm that the above quote is correct. It is a common problem with the RX not shifting into overdrive before it warms up. This is the first time I have heard of one not shifting into overdrive after it warms up. Also I don't think pending codes will prevent the engine from shifting into overdrive. It has to be a regular check engine light code. If you don't have a check engine light on something else is going on here. If you do have a check engine light on, fix the problem, even though it may appear unrelated, and the overdrive situation will be gone.

It;s not shifting after it gets warm, works fine when cold, I have a check engine light, I had to have the O2 sensor changed because they said it was running lean,but lite came back on 500miles later, beginning to think there just guessing. Thanks for your help

Check engine light on or any codes in the computer?

check engine is on, but they said it had no code for transmission problem

Like one of the guys said earlier, a check engine light will lock out overdrive until the problem is fixed (even if has nothing to do with the transmission). You just need to figure out what is causing the light to come on, fix it, clear the codes and the transmission will work correctly again.