Transmission Life

York

I thought mine was going (went) out, but it was a dirty filter. 2000 miles later (6 months), it did the same thing. Another filter and all is well. I've read too many bad things about doing a flush on one with an unknown service history to try that. ( I bought mine w/ 134,000 on it.) 93 sc400. It really seems to take very little crap to plug these filters up. Filters are $24 and you'll need 5 quarts of Type 4 Toyota ATF. I hope I'm not doing this every 2000 miles though.......Anyone else going thru this?

I thought mine was going (went) out, but it was a dirty filter. 2000 miles later (6 months), it did the same thing. Another filter and all is well. I've read too many bad things about doing a flush on one with an unknown service history to try that. ( I bought mine w/ 134,000 on it.) 93 sc400. It really seems to take very little crap to plug these filters up. Filters are $24 and you'll need 5 quarts of Type 4 Toyota ATF. I hope I'm not doing this every 2000 miles though.......Anyone else going thru this?

Try dropping the pan to clean it out. Make sure you take out the mags and clean them well. Also use a new gasket. I would also do a complete flush (not a power flush), to replace all of the fluid. Here's the safe way to flush the tranny:

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/transmission/transflush.html

Thanks for the info. Yes, I dropped the pan and even took it to the local car wash to pressure wash the outside and inside. I took out the magnets and cleaned them real well. They did have quite a bit of black sludge around them.

Wow, 247,000, that is impressive!

I was under my car yesterday and noticed that the last person (a trans shop) to drop the transmission pan did not use a gasket, but globbed sealant all over the place instead. I have a new filter and gasket kit so I guess I will go ahead and clean off the sealant and install the new stuff myself. It will be interesting to see if the magnets have much stuff on them.

• 1 month later...
Roughly how many miles might I reasonably expect to get on my '93 SC400 transmission? It is regularly serviced and used as a daily driver. I am at 135,000 miles now.

I thought I had transmission problems with my 92 SC400 with 165,000. My mechanic (who is very good) who only works on top of the line foreign cars told me that he had never seen any problems with this transmission. Turned out to be a brake locking problem.

My transmission, until someone spilled a soda in it, was performing very well at 164,000. Im sure it wouldve lasted longer too had a soda not been spilled... Well, and it's not even necessarily the transmission, its just the fact that its stuck in park. When i manage to get it out of park it still runs VERY well.

Jason