Ride Quality Improved With Facelift

Hi all

I've seen a facelifted IS in the showroom but haven't yet been able to arrange a test drive. Has anyone had a chance to compare the ride quality of the pre and post facelifted IS on 17inch wheels? Apparently various suspension changes have been made to "enhance drivability". If this means it's been made a firmer more sports orientated ride then I'll opt for a pre-facelift IS250 but if the changes are aimed at improved comfort on our deteriorating road surfaces then I'll opt for a new IS250.

Also details of the changes state that telephone "dialing functionality" is now available while driving. This makes me wonder how much the telephone system has been changed?

Many thanks

Roger

I have an 09 IS350 and the navigation system and bluetooth phone system seems to be the same. You can dial while driving if the number is already programmed in your "speed dial" or "phone book". If it is a new number; you must "dial by number" which means you speak the number and it will dial for you. It actually works very well. I can speak a 10 digit number quickly and it has yet to get it wrong. Same thing goes for the navigation. You can enter an address or point of interest by speaking. That way you do not have to be involved in the screen. As for the driving and handleing features. It feels exactally the same to me! But I was not in the loaner for that long so I don't really have the knowledge. :D

I just got an 08 IS350 w/Nav&ML ... I cant tell the difference with the "facelifted" 09's at all really.. just the mirrors and tail lights but form the front I cant tell. Anyway, The Nav and Bluetooth works the same for me... can dial by voice via number or phonebook, Nav directions with voice. None of that is Different for 09. 09 just had a few cosmetic changes.

Many thanks for the feedback, it's always good to get the real story from owners. The details on the facelift state that the IS is now fitted with Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) on all derivatives and that the stabilizer bar, suspension and EPS (Electrical Power Steering) have all been revised to "enhance drivability". It seems this must just be marketing hype or that the improvements are just too minor to be noticeable in normal driving.

Many thanks for the feedback, it's always good to get the real story from owners. The details on the facelift state that the IS is now fitted with Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) on all derivatives and that the stabilizer bar, suspension and EPS (Electrical Power Steering) have all been revised to "enhance drivability". It seems this must just be marketing hype or that the improvements are just too minor to be noticeable in normal driving.

i dont know how the 09 drives... i never drove one. but im happy with the 350 and 18" wheels.

i wouldnt call it a "facelift" since the face didnt change... but it is a little updated. if you are looking at a 250 then the VDIM may be worth it, but with the 350 you are getting that in the 08 anyways.

I just got done with an 6pd RX8 4 year lease, and the IS350, while not as nimble, feels just as confident in the turns even without the sports package, at speed. i havent taken it to its limits yet and i might notice a difference there, but for 95% of my driving its great. If you can get a great deal on the 08, id go with it.

but hey you are looking at a 250 with 17's so might be a whole different story

I have an 09 IS350 and the navigation system and bluetooth phone system has drastically been improved. You can dial while driving if the number is already programmed in your "speed dial" or "phone book". If it is a new number; you must "dial by number" which means you speak the number and it will dial for you. It actually works very well. I can speak a 10 digit number quickly and it has yet to get it wrong. Same thing goes for the navigation. You can enter an address or point of interest by speaking. That way you do not have to be involved in the screen. Also some screen functions work that previously were inoperable. I have not really gotten that involved with it yet but I was given an 06 IS350 for a loaner while my LX470 was in the shop and the nav and bluetooth phone functions work alot better while driving in my 2009 IS. As for the driving and handleing features. It feels exactally the same to me! But I was not in the loaner for that long so I don't really have the knowledge. :D

Everything you describe about the nav system is exactly the same as prior years.

I'm still waiting to hear the differences between the 7.1 and 8.1 update for the nav. tex is right. everything nicLX470 wrote sounds the same except the "also some screen functions work that were previously inoperable" part, but no one seems to know what they are or if they are. And are the first batch of 09's coming with the 7.1 version?

I just got an 09 IS250 AWD and from the 06, its wayyyy different ride quality. They changed the steering geometry, it seems to have more Castor and steers very straight and narrow, unlike the 06 which had a tendency to wander. The bumps are better handled and I think there is more sound deadening material in the 09's. You can't even feel the tranny switch gears on the 09, its much smoother than the 06.

Its a very refined car at this point, they made many improvements other than cosmetic. I would say this is the finest lexus I have even driven.

I just got an 09 IS250 AWD and from the 06, its wayyyy different ride quality. They changed the steering geometry, it seems to have more Castor and steers very straight and narrow, unlike the 06 which had a tendency to wander. The bumps are better handled and I think there is more sound deadening material in the 09's. You can't even feel the tranny switch gears on the 09, its much smoother than the 06.

Its a very refined car at this point, they made many improvements other than cosmetic. I would say this is the finest lexus I have even driven.

was all of that changed for 09.... or have they been added for 07 and 08 as well?

I did read something about the transmission programming being different for 09 but never actually found out what was done, if anything

I did read something about the transmission programming being different for 09 but never actually found out what was done, if anything

I think it is possible to change gears manually using the paddels without changing the shift lever from D...

I think it is possible to change gears manually using the paddels without changing the shift lever from D...

Again--this is no different from any other 2Gen IS.

In '08 and '09, steering feel was supposedly improved, but I've never read anything about any change in the ride feel. Perhaps ptmis250 compared one with a Sport Pkg to a standard model?