Power Steering Issues

Hey its been a while since I've posted I just got my SC400 back from the shop today after replacing my power steering pump and it seems to have done nothing. The car has the typical whine when the power steering is acting up and when I slow down a lot for a turn the car loses rpm's and stalls now and then. If it isnt the power steering pump what's the problem? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I couldn't tell you. It could be anything. If your power steering is still whinning, unscrew the power steering fluid cap. Turn your car on, and turn your steering wheel to the extreme, both directions. The Steering fluid should bubble a lot, until the it stops whinning and stops foaming.

The stalling could be anything. Have the guys who did your power steering, and tell them, you did something to my car--the car's stalling for cry'n out loud. Do something :)

You idle up cuicit is not working. It basically works from the pump to raise the idle when turning to run the pump. If the engine is hot and running you should see the fluid pushing to the top of the reseviuor unless tehre is a blocakge.

As sk has already mentioned the manual says ...

"All models are equipped with an air control valve which increases idle speed when heavy load exists on power steering pump."

The ps pump is under the greatest load during low speed manouvers so it might explain why your engine is stalling. The following schematic shows the ps pump and the air control valve. Let us know if changing the ACV fixes the problem.

pspump.jpg

:)

P.S. UCF3....I live in NJ and mechanics here are A**holes. My assumption is that they will tell me it's my problem but thanx i appreciate the response.

I really think you should talk to those mechanics and have them fix it. I used to live in NY, and some of them were :censored: too, but since they repaired your Steering pump, they're responsible--as the diagram above states. They didn't know what they were doing, which is bad on their behalf.

If they still don't, file with the BBB. A scar on their record can be damaging, and the BBB pushes the issue until it's resolved.

I already cheanged the entire pump assembly. Is it possible that the problem could lie in the rack?also the fluid shoots out of the resivoir like a geyser when the wheels are turning. I dont know I appreciate everyone's fast responses these cars are very frustrating to troubleshoot. Thanks everyone.