Possible Sc400 Purchase.. Help With Opinion Please

Airtraffic

Hi there.. Considering a possible 1995 SC400 purchase from a local dealer. The car has only 78,000 miles.. It is in great shape except for the Nakamichi stereo. The back speakers are muffled/muted. I have read the threads about water intrusion and it sounds like this may be the case. I have to see if I can lift the back seat cushion or check in the area around the gas cap.

Would this be a deal killer? I have read that finding a new amp if required can be a challenge. The car runs great, but not having half a stereo system would be a drag.

Thanks

its absolutely not something to not buy the car over....i dont know if you realize what kind of a machine is sitting there waiting to be bought... and only 78k thats NOTHING you will have that car for 200k more miles...its a stereo...stereos can be worked on and swapped out, an SC400 in that condition is not something to just change, or overlook. buy the car if you can afford it i guarentee you will be very happy.

I'm not neccesarily worried about the cost of swapping out components, but the scarcity of the Nak amps as well as folks saying that after they swapped out the amps, they had toher issues.. I there are folks who have successfully brought their NAK systems back to life, I'd love advice about the feasability of doing so.

Thanks for the input so far.

Oh, and yes, after driving it, I do realize it is quite a machine. I am considering this car after driving a BMW 330xi with a stiff seat and a stiff ride that is really fun through the turns, but killing my back on my 70 mile highway daily commute. But I gotta have good tunes! My BMW has the Harman Kardon system and it sounds great!

I have a 92 400 and I would suggest them to everyone. im sure your bmw was fun in the corners but a powerful rear wheel drive car is a whole other beast and with the traction control turned off it is a blast in the corners. and when just driving around its mind blowingly comfortable.

Have you talked to the dealer? This may be something that could drive down their asking price, or maybe somthing they can fix/look in to. I had a 1992 SC400 and the whole system was mute, and it killed me! I think someone on the forums has a kicker amp, with a kicker CVR Sub, and the results are great. He purchased this off Ebay for about $200. I believe the decision is all on you. As mentioned before, these cars last forever.

Yep, I asked the dealer to make the repairs, hoping to avoid the cost. As of this afternoon, the car is at a mobile electronics shop getting looked at. If it's an expensive repair the dealer will probably balk. Then I'll have to decide if I want to take a chance on a great car with a sick sound system. I'd like to keep the NAK in place.. It's just that as I understand it the equipment is harder to come by these days. I'd hate to say track down another amp and habe it fry itself as well.. Does anyone now what the success rate is for recusitating these systems?

Hi there.. Considering a possible 1995 SC400 purchase from a local dealer. The car has only 78,000 miles.. It is in great shape except for the Nakamichi stereo. The back speakers are muffled/muted. I have read the threads about water intrusion and it sounds like this may be the case. I have to see if I can lift the back seat cushion or check in the area around the gas cap.

Would this be a deal killer? I have read that finding a new amp if required can be a challenge. The car runs great, but not having half a stereo system would be a drag.

Thanks

to be honest, i bought my 92 sc400 with 79,000 miles and although it ran great it gave me a lot of electrical problems. overall, i had to spend about $3000 to fix just that. i've still audio, ABS and TRAC problems that i dont think i will ever fix because of price. to this day, although i love my sc400, i do kinda feel some regret. there are just too many problems that come with this car. the electrical problems were so bad they nearly cost me my life. i was driving to work one morning on the always busy freeway when i flicked my turn signals and everything inside of my car died. its not fun having no power steering trying to get on the emergency lane while hitting the brakes knowing that your brake lights arent working and there are cars behind you wondering what the heck you're doing and they may hit you at any time. in conclusion, although its a very nice looking car and well advanced for its times go with something different and less headache and much more reliability. i just don't think its worth it.

whoops, just went back and looked around and saw you bought it so had to re-edit this post. all i can say is good luck to you.

A 95 with only 78K, sounds like the car I'll be looking for next year! Dealbreaker? Depends more on whether there's a documented history with this car than a faulty stereo. If not, then are you a diy able to assess the mechanical and electrical condition of the car? And look for telltale body repairs. As for the Nak, there are many posts listing repair shops that members have used to repair their head units/amps and/or replace speakers. You can even find them regularly on Ebay. As I mentioned, audio equip is not on my list of dealbreakers. Overall condition of the car is much more important. Don't pass up what sounds like a great set of wheels because the audio needs servicing - you'll regret it!

As an update on this car.. Turned out to be the rear speakers.. Dealer fixed 'em. Car runs beautifully. I have been driving it about a week. I'll be wanting to see about having some back light bulbs replaced on the head unit eventually, but other than that it's a fantastic car! I drive 70 highway miles each way to work and the car's gas milage is almost as good as my 6 cylinder BMW! I'm getting about 25 mpg. Much better than I expected. Smoooth as silk engine. Nice civilized ride. I fear I've been converted to Lexus from BMW! Oh no!

Oh Yes! Congrats on making the right decision. :cheers: Bimmers are fine automobiles and if you're in your early twenties, with a fat wallet, they're a great release for all that testosterone. But if cruising in one of the best built cars with comfort, confidence and a relaxed wallet is your priority, then Lexus is your brand. You have been converted. :cheers: Goodonya!

I have a '92 SC400 I bought used in 2002, without a doubt, it is the best car I have ever owned. The previous owner had changed out the sound system and replaced it with an Alpine system plus he replaced all the speakers with Boston Acoustics. There is no guarantee you not not experience any problems with the car you are considering but I can assure you the likelihood is low. The SC is a sneaky fast car and the faster you go, the faster it wants to go. Handling is superb.

Reference the speed.. Yep.. That's for sure. I was on the NJ Turnpike today and it seemed to be free of cops so I took it up to 90. Solid as a rock. I wasn't sure about the speed rating of the tires the dealer put on or I would have gone faster. I'd like to see some pix of aftermarket radio stuff folks have put in.. I love the stock look of the NAK unit. I can't imagine putting in a single din unit. Although I bet the Bostons sound great.