Panel Lights

duffyboy

Hi all! I have a '97 ES300 that has an annoying problem and am wondering if it can even be fixed. It has to do with the lights for the stereo controls. Some of them have burnt out and I'm wondering if they can be replaced. Specifically, on the lower half of the center console, the lights for the balance, bass, treble, etc. no longer work. I've called several Lexus dealerships in search of an answer and have received conflicting answers including, they can't be fixed because these lights are fiber optic and are embedded (Wow! I used the 2003 Word of the Year in a sentence!) in a way that they can't be reached to, they can be fixed but the cost is prohibitively expensive (note that the dealership did not disclose the cost so I have no basis for coming to a conclusion on my own. I think they just wanted to get rid of me.).

Anyways, I'd appreciate hearing form anyone that has the same problem or might know how to deal with it, even if it's possible. And if it's not possible to fix, it leaves me wondering just what Lexus would do if a car still under warranty had the same problem.

Thanks all!

:blink: UUUUGH i had my experience with these damn ac panel lights and such. Lexus says the displays are liquid cystal-cant replace-however you can change the bulbs-but after taking my radio and ac out a couple of times in failed attemps to find a 100% light up panel via ebay I say i can live with the burnt out lights! Even to replace these bulbs seems like a headache to say the least :angry:

Of the three ES300's I've owned, I've only ever had a problem with this once, and it was on the one I own now (93). One night, the far right end of the A/C display went out; so, I did as any diy expert would do and I just simply punched the *BLEEP* outta the dash, and whallah! Never had that problem again ;) Give it a try; it's worth a shot. Same went for the guages; one of the backlights on the speedo started to flash and dim and such, and I hit the dash and it never did it again. Just stupid little old light bulbs is all; you just gotta let em know who's boss :lol: B)