1997 Ls400 Or 2003 C240?

I just had my 97 LS400 with 125,000 miles resprayed last week in it's original color, Moonstone Pearl Metallic, monotone and chrome grille inserts applied. I've had this car for 5 trouble-free years and this is the best that it's looked.

A dealer friend of mine then offers me a one owner 2003 Mercedes C240 sedan with 40,000 miles for $13,500. He says he'll take my Lexus on trade for $5,500, costing me about $8,800 out of pocket. The benz is in excellent condition, brilliant silver, black leather, xenon lights, etc. I got to take the benz home for a couple of days to think about it. It drives more like my miata than my lexus. More fun, in other words. I took my lexus back after a couple of days and have been thinking about what I should do. LS400 or C240?

On one hand, the benz is 6 years newer and has 80,000 less miles. On the other hand the Lexus is a much more reliable vehicle and drives really smooth. The price of the benz is very reasonable. I think I'm just dismayed at the trade-in value of my lexus.

What do you think? 1997 LS400 or 2003 C240 (-$8,800)?

$5,500 sounds very low for a clean 1997 LS...similar cars in Kansas City are selling for $8000 and up. LS400s, and Lexus cars in general, are extremely popular here so there are lots to choose from.

If you decided to buy the Mercedes, ideally you would be able to keep your old car to sell yourself for a fair price. But, I doubt the price of the Mercedes will be as low without your trade-in. Without it, the dealer likely will not be able to make enough money on the deal to make it worth his time. After all, he will probably just turn around and sell your LS for $8-9000.

Which car you choose will be a personal decision. It probably depends more than anything on your driving style and attitude. Going from an LS400 to a C240 would be a big smack in the face for me, since their driving characteristics and comfort levels are completely different. They are two different kinds of cars, a flagship luxury sedan and an entry level executive/sport sedan.

I prefer to be comfortable and safe in a larger car, and do not drive agressively. How well the car handles is not as important to me as it is to others. I am more than happy to give up German car-like handling for the softer and quieter ride of my LS400.

Then of course, there is the issue of Mercedes reliability. If you don't mind spending the extra money and time to maintain one, whether you perform the maintenance yourself or at a dealership, how reliable the car is probably does not matter to you. Based on the experiences of my relatives, friends, and other members of this board, I think it is safe to say that the overall cost of ownership of a Mercedes or BMW is much higher than that of a Lexus automobile.

I completely agree. I would sell the LS before I traded it in for $5500.

Also, going from a LS (even if it is a 1997) to a small MB would be a change for sure and like Thomas said, its all a matter of personal preference.

I bought a 1984 Mercedes 190D diesel sedan (smallest Mercedes for 1984) and it was a big change from my LS400, especially since some had installed "sport" struts on it giving it a stiff ride, but it was not all that bad because the way the seats were. It was a nice and neat little car, but I wanted a bigger car. I sold it, despite 40 mpg! :D

I now have a 1988 Mercedes 300SEL (long wheelbase S-Class) and its like another world. Smooth as silk - smooth inline 6-cylinder, soft suspension... you never even know when there was a bump in the road. :) However, I have to remember that the 190D was a $23500 car when new in 1984 and the 300SEL was a $65000 car when new in 1988.

$5,500 sounds very low for a clean 1997 LS...similar cars in Kansas City are selling for $8000 and up. LS400s, and Lexus cars in general, are extremely popular here so there are lots to choose from.

If you decided to buy the Mercedes, ideally you would be able to keep your old car to sell yourself for a fair price. But, I doubt the price of the Mercedes will be as low without your trade-in. Without it, the dealer likely will not be able to make enough money on the deal to make it worth his time. After all, he will probably just turn around and sell your LS for $8-9000.

Which car you choose will be a personal decision. It probably depends more than anything on your driving style and attitude. Going from an LS400 to a C240 would be a big smack in the face for me, since their driving characteristics and comfort levels are completely different. They are two different kinds of cars, a flagship luxury sedan and an entry level executive/sport sedan.

I prefer to be comfortable and safe in a larger car, and do not drive agressively. How well the car handles is not as important to me as it is to others. I am more than happy to give up German car-like handling for the softer and quieter ride of my LS400.

Then of course, there is the issue of Mercedes reliability. If you don't mind spending the extra money and time to maintain one, whether you perform the maintenance yourself or at a dealership, how reliable the car is probably does not matter to you. Based on the experiences of my relatives, friends, and other members of this board, I think it is safe to say that the overall cost of ownership of a Mercedes or BMW is much higher than that of a Lexus automobile.

You'd be selling the best car in the world, best Toyota Motor Corporation has ever made, for an entry level Mercedes, known to have issues, and extreme repair costs. Makes zero sense to me. Your "friend" is on a mission to take your money......

He's low-balling you on the trade, the Benz is not near the level of the LS. He's just trying to "WOW" you with a brand new car for "so cheap"

You have a perfect car right now, plus, NO CAR PAYMENT! :D

You're comparing an apple and an orange. A C-class is a pretty good car, but it was never marketed as a luxury car or as a roomy, comfortable autobahn cruiser. It's the entry level MRZ, and shouldn't be made more than that. The C and the ES are comparable cars, though for my money the ES is the preferred vehicle in that class. You'll get more gas mileage and have a simpler vehicle to repair, but you're trading the comfort and reliability of the LS to get it. If you want to move into a MRZ from your LS, see what's out there in an S-class or a loaded up E-class. The E still isn't an LS, but the S may be more car than your budget will stand.

I've got an LS430 and an S430 MRZ, so I can look at them in the garage and compare them. They are very good cars, each in its own right. They are also very different. and it's a matter of taste which one is better. I think you'll be let down moving out of an LS into a C-class unless you consciously decide a smaller, lighter, less roomy vehicle is what you need.

Thanks for your thoughts and replies, folks. I believe I will be keeping my LS.

I've never owned a benz and the C240 just looked enticing. My friend who got this benz on trade-in, is selling it for $13,500 regardless if I trade my LS in or not. The car will be a 4th vehicle to me and I just don't need another one.

I posted this same this same question in the miata.net forum and pretty much got the same sentiments. (Miata.net thread.)

my wife and i looked at one of these when replacing her honda civic "ended up with a 07' mazda 3gt". It drove nice during the initial test drive, but couldn't stand the salesman, wanted to strangle him, different story though. After having a few friends and clients with the 240 series, I can honestly say that I don't want anything to do with that 2.4 engine. Although most were in the coupes "hatchbacks", it seemed as though they were always dealing with some sort of check engine light, or belts, electronic modules, and almost all of them had bad O2' censors at some point within a 30k mileage window "the dreaded 420 code". Plus, that engine for some reason, seems to get louder and rougher as it ages, and pretty quickly too. A 2.4 with 50k miles sounds and feels nothing like the same engine with 15k-20k miles. I think they're neat looking little cars, and certainly fun to drive. But the upkeep seems to be far more then the car's enjoyment factor warrants. An older Porsche "boxter, old 911, etc", sure, I can see spending time on maintenance and such, but an entry level MB, no thanks. It was that factor alone why we went with the Mazda. The MB was an 03', white, with about 35k on the clock. They were asking around $17.9.

But I would of never considered a 240 series "and didn't" when it came time for me to replace my 95' LS400. As you know, the LS really spoils you, and spoils just about all other cars for you. They're a double edged sword, that's for sure. They're so good, it's damn near impossible to scratch that itch for something different, unless you leave the sedan segment all together, which is what i had to do, and replaced the LS with a 05' 4runner. It's nothing like the LS, not even close. But, I did keep the V8 factor, even if it does cost twice as much in operational funds. Gotta' have a V8 man. Once you've had one, it's nearly impossible to go back.

• 1 month later...

I would put my 96' LEXUS LS400 against any benz don't care if you had a S500 Benz. Benz and BMW are crap. And break down to often. If you want to trade the Lex .Trade for a newer year or model. I also have and 01 ES300 both rides great no problems.