Do I Need A Tune Up?

hey everyone here is a quick history of my SC400.

i bought it 2 months ago and drive it everyday delivering pizza since then. no problems until recently during the HARSH cold of new england, sometimes in the morning the car will take a good 5 seconds of cranking to turn over...and when it does it does so VERY SLOWLY and its obviously stressing...next, as of today when i drive it from 0-20 mph the engine has a hard time revving up and it cuts out..every couple seconds the motor will seem to hit a bump and thud and not rev up.

The History before me.

the car sat for 3 years straight in a patch of dirt and grass in someones backyard (such a waste!)

i bought it and threw in a tank of premium gas and here i am today. my boss at work suggests that after riding with me and feeling the cut out, that it is a spark plug wire that is dead or dieing and not delivering a full spark..he says a simple plug and wire tune up should do the trick...he also suggests replacing the fuel filter and have the fuel injectors pressure washed to stop the ticking. please give me some input thanks ;)

How many miles on the engine? A tune up wouldn't hurt and I'd recommend you do one... you know basic fluid changes, plugs, wires, pcv valves, air filter, clean your MAF with CRC MAF cleaner, clean your throttle body, ect... but your symptoms could be anything... any check engine lights? Is it misfiring? Get your battery and alternator checked... I'd also recommend running a few seafoam treatments...

How many miles on the engine? A tune up wouldn't hurt and I'd recommend you do one... you know basic fluid changes, plugs, wires, pcv valves, air filter, clean your MAF with CRC MAF cleaner, clean your throttle body, ect... but your symptoms could be anything... any check engine lights? Is it misfiring? Get your battery and alternator checked... I'd also recommend running a few seafoam treatments...

well the engine has 154,000 miles on it...and the air filter i just bought a new K&N filter so thats all set...the battery and altenator or both relativally new...there are no check engine lights on however...so i have it sitting at the shop right now and a mechanic said after he drove it that he suggests basic wires and plugs. so im fine with that since im sure it needed them after a LONG time of not having any maintenace done what so ever. ill let you know when i get it back if the motor is still cutting out or not which i certainly hope its not.

Pay particular attention to the grade of fuel you use.......I tried cheaping out when I got my 4.0 and try'd using mid-grade fuel 89 octane, well it wasnt pretty it started stumblin on take off .... then progressively got worse. Needless to say I went thru the whole list of possiblities, changing spark plugs, plug wires, distrib caps, and nothing helped..while sitting in the drivers seat pondering this situation ....then finally a DUHHHHH moment, I dumped a bottle of Lucas octane boost into the suspect fuel and within a couple miles it cleaned out and began running like a 4.0 should.....guess the moral of the story is....Don't over look the obvious

Pay particular attention to the grade of fuel you use.......I tried cheaping out when I got my 4.0 and try'd using mid-grade fuel 89 octane, well it wasnt pretty it started stumblin on take off .... then progressively got worse. Needless to say I went thru the whole list of possiblities, changing spark plugs, plug wires, distrib caps, and nothing helped..while sitting in the drivers seat pondering this situation ....then finally a DUHHHHH moment, I dumped a bottle of Lucas octane boost into the suspect fuel and within a couple miles it cleaned out and began running like a 4.0 should.....guess the moral of the story is....Don't over look the obvious

haha yeah that would be one of the obvious solutions...however i have used 93 octane since i got it...but now to give you an update i got new plugs and wires and the engine is stumbling and cutting out VERY BADLY now...and so now they suggest to me that it is the EGR valve..and i cant wait to see how much thats gonna be on top of a tune up :( :( :(

my boss at work suggests that after riding with me and feeling the cut out, that it is a spark plug wire that is dead or dieing and not delivering a full spark..he says a simple plug and wire tune up should do the trick...he also suggests replacing the fuel filter and have the fuel injectors pressure washed to stop the ticking. please give me some input thanks ;)

A fresh fuelfilter may help, but pressure washing fuel injectors is not going to help.

They tick. Accept it. They should tick quietly. You shouldn't hear them once you shut the hood.

If you want to help the injectors, get some injector cleaner and add it to your gas for a couple of tanks.

Keep premimum in the tank.

Other than that, you could remove them and get them professionally flow tested and cleaned, but that costs money and time that you most likely don't have.

If you can still hear a tick after you shut the hood, there is another problem.

Address this stumbling problem and then you can takcle any leftover issues.