1999 Lexus - Vibration When Cold And ~30-35 Mph

TheeSlowPoke

Newbie with question on vibration in a 1999 LS 400.

Recently the weather has chilled a bit and when I start out in the morning I feel a vibration in the seat and floor. No, it's not me shivering! It seems to get worse up until 30 to 35 mph. After driving a couple miles, the vibration goes away completely. I didn't notice the vibration until it got cold outside.

I have only had this vehicle for <2000 miles.

This is the first rear drive car in quite a long while for me and I suspect the vibration is coming from the drive shaft. Has anybody else had this problem and if so, what was it caused by?

TheeSlowPoke

It may seem like a vibration, but what I think you may be expereincing is more of a light wobble. Do you have aftermarket rims on the car? How many miles do you have on the tires themselves approximately?

I don't think it's driveshaft related as it would happen all the time then and be more pronounced as the speed increased.

Thanks for the replies!

I have Bridgestone Turanza LSV tires on stock rims. I don't believe I have a bent rim as that would cause vibration whether cold or not. I have never had Turanza tires before, so I guess they could be taking a set from sitting. That would explain how cold comes into play and how after a short while the vibration goes away. Can I be so lucky?

How would the engine or transmission mount cause this vibration?

OK, here is another thing that may come into play. I back out onto the street and start out down the road. After 10 yards, or so, I hear a "tink" sound. Kind of sounds like exhaust when it is real hot and contracting during cooldown, only more substantial because I hear it with the windows rolled up. I just bought this car a month ago. It looks like it hit the ditch backwards once as the driverside muffler has a heavy dent in it from the rear and there is a scrape under the car up to about the front seat.

TheeSlowPoke

Your tires are flat-spotting overnight, and the cold weather makes it worse, and a few miles of driving makes them round. In the good old days with bias plies (I am old enough to remember them....) it was something almost every car did.

Thanks for the replies!

I have Bridgestone Turanza LSV tires on stock rims. I don't believe I have a bent rim as that would cause vibration whether cold or not. I have never had Turanza tires before, so I guess they could be taking a set from sitting. That would explain how cold comes into play and how after a short while the vibration goes away. Can I be so lucky?

How would the engine or transmission mount cause this vibration?

OK, here is another thing that may come into play. I back out onto the street and start out down the road. After 10 yards, or so, I hear a "tink" sound. Kind of sounds like exhaust when it is real hot and contracting during cooldown, only more substantial because I hear it with the windows rolled up. I just bought this car a month ago. It looks like it hit the ditch backwards once as the driverside muffler has a heavy dent in it from the rear and there is a scrape under the car up to about the front seat.

TheeSlowPoke

I only asked about the aftermarket rims because most aftermarket rims are not hubcentric and need to use centering rings. That can explain the slight wobble sometimes.

So that leaves the tires themselves. There could be some other factors, but they aren't very common, such as if the place you had inflate your tires had alot of moisture in thier air lines, and you have an excessive amount of water in your tire, that could cause the wobble more when it's cold than when it heats up. I would take the car to the tire place that installed your tires and have them roadforce balance your tires. Just to make sure and eliminate those as the possible culprit.