Pink Floyd's Richard Wright

eatingupblacktop

wright.jpg

The composer of a lot of music I grew up with and the glue that held Floyd together for all those years has left the scene. Saw them live many times, and each time the they blew me away.

The first time was in Buffalo back in '70 I think. The venue was the hockey arena at the time. This is what I remember - The house lights grew dim and the crowd grew quiet anticipating the start of the concert. Nothing happened, the lights came back up and the crowd got back to talking. The lights went dim again, the crowd got quiet, this time there was the sound of a door opening and closing at the left side of the stage and the sound of someone walking across the stage towards the right, then the sound of a door once again opening then closing. Everyone strained to see who it was, but the stage was dark. Then nothing. The lights came up and the crowd started buzzing again. This happened again, but this time it was from right to left. I thought something wasn't right because the sound was much louder than someone normally walking across the stage. It sounded amplified. Next, the door opened and shut and the footsteps went from the stage towards the back of the arena along one side. Now I knew something was up, because it was a little louder and there was no way someone could do that, besides no one was seen. The door opened at the rear of the arena and the footsteps walked back to the stage, where the door opened and closed. They were definitely playing with the crowd. This happened down the other side of the arena as well.

This whole process took about 20 minutes. After this sequence, the house lights came on again and the crowd got buzzing once more. After about ten minutes, the lights dimmed slowly, then went out entirely. This time the footsteps went from the stage directly over my head diagonally towards the back! This was the first time I had ever heard Quad sound at a concert! When the door closed at the rear, all at the same time the stage lights came on full, smoke bombs exploded and they started their first song with the sound cranked full blast! It was spectacular! They blew everyone away, literally!

Rick, thanks for the mind trips and all the beautifull colours and sounds. You'll be missed. Hope you can find that other Floydian, Syd Barret and get him back into music once again.:cheers:

PS: There's a good writeup at Rolling Stone

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/inde...ght-dead-at-65/