Bodywork On Passenger Quarter Panel

Cwallbball10

My step father wants to take a shot at repairing the passenger quarter panel on my 1992 SC400. Are there any tips we/he should be looking for? Has anyone performed this sort of work before? He has little experience with body work, but is a world class welder, handles the torch very well, and has high class tools to cut metal. I already have the parts car with a good quarter panel.

post-79264-1221353071_thumb.jpg

that looks like a big job. all i can tell you is take your time and good luck...

Things are actually going quite well, I'm very surprised! All the cuts were very straight and precise..something I wasn't expecting at all. Now we have to lightly grind down the cuts made, and smooth everything out. I will update with some pictures soon. I'm also looking for a front passenger fender. Do you know where I should be looking?

that looks like a big job. all i can tell you is take your time and good luck...

Things are actually going quite well, I'm very surprised! All the cuts were very straight and precise..something I wasn't expecting at all. Now we have to lightly grind down the cuts made, and smooth everything out. I will update with some pictures soon. I'm also looking for a front passenger fender. Do you know where I should be looking?

*coughtwidebodycough*lol

*coughtwidebodycough*lol

Would you be referring to this... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/298b-Full-8...2QQcmdZViewItem

It looks a little extreme, and for $699 + the shipping $429.99 + $Pearl PAINT$ = <_<

Here is a new picture of the panel cut out. Everything is prepped, and the other piece is cut out...Now it's time to match everything up and weld on

Wow thats what it looks like in there, lmao. Why didnt he just cut the quarter panel at the bottom of the A-Pillar and remove the entire quarter. Thats how body shops do it, its gonna be a pain in the neck to smooth out that patch. Good luck to you though!

Here is a new picture of the panel cut out. Everything is prepped, and the other piece is cut out...Now it's time to match everything up and weld on

Wow thats what it looks like in there, lmao. Why didnt he just cut the quarter panel at the bottom of the A-Pillar and remove the entire quarter. Thats how body shops do it, its gonna be a pain in the neck to smooth out that patch. Good luck to you though!

My step father decided to go this route because the panel we have on the other car has some damage down on the bottom. That would just make for more repair/bodywork. My step father and his friend work at ACW Customs in San Antonio,tx. Their Diesel truck WON the Great American Buildoff in Kentucky last year. They have a lot of knowledge and experience with bodywork.

My step father wants to take a shot at repairing the passenger quarter panel on my 1992 SC400. Are there any tips we/he should be looking for? Has anyone performed this sort of work before? He has little experience with body work, but is a world class welder, handles the torch very well, and has high class tools to cut metal. I already have the parts car with a good quarter panel.

wait so after saying this, now your father has lots of experience? im confused :huh:

wait so after saying this, now your father has lots of experience? im confused :huh:

He built himself up to sound like he wasn't too familiar with this type of work. Come to find out, he actually does have some experience. He's very modest, and probably didn't want to feel pressured to do a good job. I might have opened my mouth a little too early on that 1st posting :( . I should be out his way in the next couple of days, and hopefully have some finished pictures.

pics are a bit small but it looks good!

The application of paint and polishing will be the final tester as to whether its gonna come out smooth, but the work looks wonderful, the pics arent very high resolution, but it looks like the lines came out right. At least your car is red and not black, even if there are some waves, they wont show as much. Show us some pics when its painted!!! :)

pics are a bit small but it looks good!

The application of paint and polishing will be the final tester as to whether its gonna come out smooth, but the work looks wonderful, the pics arent very high resolution, but it looks like the lines came out right. At least your car is red and not black, even if there are some waves, they wont show as much. Show us some pics when its painted!!! :)

Thank You jzz30 and Lethal_Threat! Sorry about the pictures they came from a camera phone, I forgot my digital camera. But the lines look GREAT! almost 100% perfect, I was very surprised. Not to brag, but this only cost me $61, which was the cost of supplies- filler, primer, tape, etc.

it does look good from the small pics you've added. Look for imperfections on the outershell, and then try to poke it from trunk. see if the metal needs to be stronger. a very good job should be very strong in an attempt to use less Bondo.

I personally don't like to use that much Bondo so the smaller amount used the better it is.

it does look good from the small pics you've added. Look for imperfections on the outershell, and then try to poke it from trunk. see if the metal needs to be stronger. a very good job should be very strong in an attempt to use less Bondo.

I personally don't like to use that much Bondo so the smaller amount used the better it is.

Unfortunatly, the panel that we used from the parts car already had bondo work! We had no idea until we already cut it out. We decided to go with it anyways, but more work/labor was involved. I took your advice and "Poked", but this new piece is much stronger than the original body.