2005 Ls 430 Is Giving Me Only 16 Mpg

mcodude

I have been getting only 16 mpg in city. How much you are all getting inside the city traffic. I live in suburbs of Orlando. I do not drive much in the freeway. I only use 93 Octane. Does this sound right? I bought this car as an used car like 9 months ago. Any word of wisdom? I have changed the oil, air filter, put new Toyo tires. Please pitch in some ideas. Thanks Gurus.

If you drive moderately aggressively, meaning strong starts from lights, thats normal MPG for that driving scenario.

Its a big heavy V8 car, thats the worst driving environment for economy with that car.

That sounds about right. When I drive only inside the city (5-10 minute trips, not going more than 45mph, lots of red lights, etc.), my LS400 gets 14mpg. On the hwy, I get 27.5-28.5mpg at 80mph with the ac running.

I try to drive easy and slow but always find myself with with my foot in it a bit. My other car is a 07 Vette so it takes some adjustment to get into the Lexus 430 but it is nice.

I find myself at about 15.3 to 16.6 on the computer after resetting and driving in town. I have seen 18 but I was driving miss daisy when I was able to get that good. I too get about 27 on the interstate as I set it on cruise about 78 or so. :)

I have been getting only 16 mpg in city. How much you are all getting inside the city traffic. I live in suburbs of Orlando. I do not drive much in the freeway. I only use 93 Octane. Does this sound right? I bought this car as an used car like 9 months ago. Any word of wisdom? I have changed the oil, air filter, put new Toyo tires. Please pitch in some ideas. Thanks Gurus.

I have a 2001 LS430 with 102K and I too average around 16.5 MPG in city and at best 27 highway with a tail wind. Since the crunch, I been using 89 Octane petro and have not experienced any pings or other tell tale signs of poor engine performance. I do not drive at high performance level for this car to make a difference with the octane. I believe Lexus specifies 91 Octane. This kitty kat purrs.

If you get stuck in any kind of traffic or are mostly stop and go this is typical. If I fill up and then head east (into LA) at rush hour I can see 14.7 mpg. Yuck.

When I was commuting against traffic in an almost even mix of freeway and city streets I usually saw 18-19.

I have the same experience as Blake. I've done Reno to LA, all on freeway at 80-85 (just going with traffic flow in CA) and seen a measured 28.5 mpg. In fact, the LS 430 seems to be at its best at the high end as I've not seen much over 27 mpg when running closer to 70. Reacting to some comments in another thread, I did check the tank average calculation the LS makes with actual measured fuel replacement over a couple of 300+ mile freeway segments and the LS was accurate to 0.1 mpg. All that said and with my extreme pleasure while driving the LS at all times, my local (all non-freeway driving) does yield much reduced mpg values. My normal short commutes (yes, LA acutally has some) yields around 14 mpg during the rush hour in traffic that is actually not bad for LA. I occasionally have to go into the infamous traffic in Santa Monica / West LA, for those commutes I'm lucky to see 12 mpg. The problem is obvous and only helped by some form of hybrid, while sitting at 0 mph, you're getting 0 mpg that has to be integrated into the final result. :)

Best mileage I've seen is 8.84 L/100 km @ 100-110 km/hr / 33psi / flat-cruise / in the winter, no snow, w heat on.

Worst was 14.82 L/100 km all city / rush hr / no idling outside of crawling traffic / in the winter , no snow, w heat on.

About 0 mph. Not sure what rate (L/min) the LS consumes while idling, but it would give less than 0/mpg. Probably something like -?mph/min idling.

PS - When filling up, after the first auto stop, at full pump rate, I reduce to half rate and quit after the next auto stop.