2004 Es330 Or 2004 Cadillac Cts

redeldo

Hi, I am new here and drove an ES330 today. It drove and handled very, very good. We currently have an 01 Deville and while it drives and rides just fine, the durability of the car is driving me up a wall (first: water pump; second: cam sensor; third: torque converter sensors; now they tell me the tranny needs to be replaced!) Previous car was an 97 Eldorado that while beautiful was also a repair problem.

While I was out today, I looked at the 04 CTS and the 04 ES330. The 330 drives and feels solid with a good ride and good get up and go (like the Deville). The CTS seems to be firmer (more harsh) in drive and ride and less comfortable than the 330 with a little less HP.

Could anyone share their thoughts on the 04 ES330 (good things and problems to look for BEFORE purchase). The one thing I have found is the 330 has a (surprise) timing belt. To me that is not on the plus side. I am looking to avoid the same problems I have had with the Caddys.

Thanks for any advice you all can give me. Any other rides that fall in the same area as the ES330?

Wayne

2001 Cadillac Deville

Well, all I can tell you is I have an 03 ES300, basically the same car as the 04 ES330 with 120,000 miles on it (had it since new). I've had a couple warranty issues taken care of, but common ES things (intermediate steering shaft, rattles in rear doors, I had a light behind the climate control burn out) but other than that its been a perfect car. Still rides, drives, and looks like new. Lexus vehicles age MUCH more gracefully than GM vehicles.

Lexus vehicles are great cars. My dad had a Cadillac and moved to Lexus in 1998 and says he can't even imagine driving a Cadillac again. He's had two, a 98 LS400 he put 160k miles on, and an 04 LS430 he has 80k on. Extremely minor to no problems on both.

To me the ES is better looking, bigger, has a much nicer interior than the CTS of that era. I would choose the ES in a heartbeat.

That brings me to another point, you should go drive an LS430. Even if you have to buy one a year or so older, I bet you can get a great deal on one since the current carbuying climate is anti-V8. The LS430 gets about the same mileage as the ES, and the driving experience is better (although the ES is great).

Food for thought...

Lexus uses timing belts because they're quieter. Not a big deal, Ive never heard of one failing, and its a maintenance replacement at 90k miles.

Lexus uses timing belts because they're quieter. Not a big deal, Ive never heard of one failing, and its a maintenance replacement at 90k miles.

Not anymore.....they switched to timing chains. ;)

common ES things (intermediate steering shaft, rattles in rear doors, I had a light behind the climate control burn out) but other than that its been a perfect car. Still rides, drives, and looks like new. Lexus vehicles age MUCH more gracefully than GM vehicles.

SW03ES: I read something about the steering knuckles (?) but didn't expect to hear that a Lexus has rattles :o . I am a little hard of hearing so if it had some I probably wouldn't hear it at all :) . I avoided buying an Infiniti one time because of the timing belt and the expense of having to replace it before damaging the engine.

QUOTE(SW03ES @ Sep 8 2008, 11:25 PM)

Not anymore.....they switched to timing chains.

Good to hear that they changed. Any idea what year the changed occured?

Wayne

Hi, I am new here and drove an ES330 today. It drove and handled very, very good. We currently have an 01 Deville and while it drives and rides just fine, the durability of the car is driving me up a wall (first: water pump; second: cam sensor; third: torque converter sensors; now they tell me the tranny needs to be replaced!) Previous car was an 97 Eldorado that while beautiful was also a repair problem.

Wayne

2001 Cadillac Deville

I think you have answered you own question. Personally, GM and Cadillac's repair history are why I would never even consider it when I buy a car.

I had a 2002 ES300 and put 108,000 incident free miles on it in 6 years. The only maintenance that was done was routine or scheduled. That speaks for itself.

steviej

Not anymore.....they switched to timing chains. ;)

Perhaps I should have said "used" ;)

The steering shaft and "knuckles" are the same issue. It causes a looseness in the steering feel. Nothing dangerous just annoying.

As for the rattles, the 02 and 03 had two peices of trim on the rear door that rattled, the dealer simply removed them. I believe it was fixed on the '04.

My '03 is 120k miles and not a rattle anywhere. Our 04 Toyota Prius by example has 39k miles and it rattles so badly its a pain to drive...

In terms of cost to replace the timing belt, its $700 or so at an independent shop, sounds like you've done way more in repairs to your Cadillac ;)

hello, I would go with the es, I was a gm fan for years, I have a 04 es 330, 53000 miles and no problems, best car I ever had. I feel the es will last longer, if you take care of it. Check the car out real good before you buy. Have fun, take care.

Tim

I have always had a soft spot for Caddy's personally as my Dad owned two of them & I came close to a couple myself....an Eldo TC & STS over the years (I love the styling of the new CTS personally & the fact it is available with AWD is a bonus). As others have mentioned however long term reliability has been a big issue with Caddy's & the cost of some parts get's pretty pricy.

A few mechanics have told me this: "If you own a Caddy, make sure there is pleanty of warranty remaining or buy as long of an extended warranty as possible". That was enough to steer me to the Lexus brand & have owned two ES models (2001 & my current 2005 330) and have been a very satisfied owner. :) A few minor warranty items on my 2005 (no rattles however.....yet. :whistles: ) and I am approching 50k miles.

Don't be turned off by the fact that up to the 2006 model....they require a timing belt over a chain...they do last for 90k miles and are not really that expsnsive to replace (I would suggest however when it does need replacement that you go with an OE belt & stay clear of anything aftermarket.....you get what you pay for).

Find a well maintained example with the service history is my best advice & over the long term, the Lexus is the better choice (as also mentioned above) they hold their value much better than any domestic Luxury mark. As SW suggests.....it wouldn't hurt for you to take an LS out for a test drive too......just in case. Good luck with your search & I have an excellent write up of the 2002 - 2006 ES below...

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/cc/02-06es300-330.htm

:cheers:

• 4 weeks later...
I think if you ask this question on a Lexus forum you will probably get most of the same responses the Lexus heehh.

Thanks for all the replies and the good links. Learned quite a bit about this car. I am still looking for the right car but with this financial mess we are in :angry: , me thinks it best to stay on the side line for a little while longer :cries: . Saw some questions about the cupholder, did they ever change it to a better one?

I like the looks of the 07 but afraid its beyond me right now.

Wayne

I disagree. Now is the time to buy one of these cars if you can. The market is REALLY soft, people aren't buying anything so if you've made the decision to buy, and you comfortably can, you shoud do it now.

If my business weren't so tied up with all this mess I would pull the trigger on a nice 06 LS430 right now. They're a steal.

As for the cupholders, they're okay.