Need New Battery

PilotguyPA28

In the past I've always bought Sam's batteries. Great price, good warranty, and plenty of service centers around. Is there some reason this would not work now with a Lexus? I would think Sam's is ok.

It should work on the Lexus as long it has the correct amount of cranking amps. Just check the old battery and make sure that the new one has either the same cranking amps or more.

Not sure about the climate in Alabama, but it's the cold cranking amps (CCA) that is the most important feature in the battery, along with the size.

Get the correct sized battery with the same or more CCA's as your original battery, and you will be set.

There are really only a handful of battery manufacturers, and so many are the same battery, just re-branded with a different company name.

I have owned Lexus vehicles since 1994. All replacement batteries have been purchased at Sam's Club.

I am not sure what size battery your 2003 LS uses. My 93 LS came factory equipped with a 27F (or 27R) battery. Sam's does not stock this size. They do, however, stock the 24F size. This is just slightly smaller than the 27 size and fits in the battery compartment okay.

Make sure you get the correct type. The positive terminal should be on the left, looking at the battery from the front. This will be the 24F. The regular 24 size will have the positive terminal on the right side.

The several autos, trucks, boats (deep cycle batteries), and farm equipment at my place have used both Sam's batteries and Costco batteries. From my experience Costco batteries are much better and last longer.

That said, Sam's batteries haven't been used by me for about five years so they may have updated their brand. As another poster said - they probably all come from the same factory anyway.

Costco has an excellent no-questions-asked warranty for free three year replacements. Plus they give a 2% discount for Executive Members and another 1% for using their American Express card. Using their warranty every 35 months will give you free new batteries for the life of the car.

• 3 months later...
In the past I've always bought Sam's batteries. Great price, good warranty, and plenty of service centers around. Is there some reason this would not work now with a Lexus? I would think Sam's is ok.

I just replaced the original Lexus battery with the MAXX from Walmart, 24FS (for South--they don't sell maintenance-free batteries for hot climates). Goes right in, terminals fit. Of course you have to reset the clock and the automatic seat settings. But nothing else. 20min job. The battery was $72 plus the usual. More powerful than OE.

John Bonds

99 LS400, 90k

• 1 month later...

I just replaced the original Lexus battery with the MAXX from Walmart, 24FS (for South--they don't sell maintenance-free batteries for hot climates). Goes right in, terminals fit. Of course you have to reset the clock and the automatic seat settings. But nothing else. 20min job. The battery was $72 plus the usual. More powerful than OE.

John Bonds

99 LS400, 90k

Be sure to put the original receipt for the battery in your glovebox.

Wal-mart will not honor the warranty without the original receipt.

All good advice. As CUMan mentions, it's imperative that you get the proper terminal orientation! Otherwise your cables won't reach. Also, I would check with a Lexus dealer on their batt prices. They are surprisingly competitive. Finally, I will differ with LEX. Size is important for longevity of the batt. The smaller the batt, the closer the plates are to each other. This causes a quicker discharge, speeds up the cycle rate and shortens the batt's lifespan. Get the largest quality batt that will fit.

Spent $90 at an Autozone 1/2 mile from my house for a new one. Paid for it with discount points 7 yr warranty; full replacement if it fails within 2 yrs....and they installed it!!

The size of the Batt. Is not that important as long as it fits safely in you car. What is important is the cold cranking amps. The cold cranking amps should be the same as the OE Batt. or more.

size is important the larger oem battery has a bigger reserve for all for all the acc's and for emergencies. the bigger the father apart the cells are and the battery will last longer too. I would go with oem that you can buy at any toyota dealer for about 90 dollars

The size of the Batt. Is not that important as long as it fits safely in you car. What is important is the cold cranking amps. The cold cranking amps should be the same as the OE Batt. or more.

size is important the larger oem battery has a bigger reserve for all for all the acc's and for emergencies. the bigger the father apart the cells are and the battery will last longer too. I would go with oem that you can buy at any toyota dealer for about 90 dollars

Just returned a Group 35 battery to the store. The 1-month old battery died once a week on my '99 LS400. Costco doesn't carry Group 24 (a bigger) battery that I used to have. Battery test showed that alternator was good (14.35V at idle). Battery was OK too but needed some charging. The suggestion from the auto shop was to replace with a better battery. I have just put in a Group 24 (675 CCA) battery. I hope it will take care of the problem.

The problem can still be something other than the weak battery. I ran some tests myself. One question that I have and don't know if anyone on this Forum have any better idea. I took the battery off the car and hooked a power supply (set at 12.6V as the battery) to the cables. The Amp meter read 50mA when things were all off. The current then jumped up to 9.4A when the ignition is on (panel on, low-beam headlights on, A/C off, stereo off, engine not started yet). Is this the right amount of current for this car model?