Acceration Issues

2002 GS300

When stopping then accelerating kinda fast, like at an intersection or stop sign, I get absolutely no power. Kind of dangerous if I'm trying to get out before traffic comes.

Was told it was the YAW sensor and had it replaced, but it still does it.

Seems like it will not down-shift correctly.

I played with it in a parking lot last night and sometimes it would do fine, squeel the tires . . . . and other times not.

I've also noticed that when moving in slow traffic there is a hesitation between 1st and 2nd. Also, if coasting downhill from a stop (no throttle) I get a hard shift from 1 to 2.

Any ideas as to what I need to look for? I've been told that Toyota transmissions are extremely dependable, but right now it I'm leaning toward something there.

• 1 month later...
My throttle position sensor went up the same way. Then it was ok. I replaced it. No problems after that.

just like most people saying,check and either clean or replace the tps sensor! that should fix u up! if that doesnt fix it...u might wanna make sure the tranny isnt slipping as you say your having problems with it, but try the tps sensor first

brian

AHHH HAH!

Hesitation and acceleration problems seem to be a popular topic on this forum. I went with the more complicated diagnostics first and found it was an easier problem to fix than was first expected.

I had some hesitation problems, felt like a slipping tranny, mainly from a dead stop or a slow roll. At one point the throttle even stuck wide open on me causing a good old fashioned adrenaline rush. I posted previously about the tps and aps having problems in our beloved cars. So knowing this I attacked the problem. I used a multimeter and the Lexus repair schematics and got the resistance values (ohms) and ranges for each sensor. The accelerator pedal sensor and the throttle position sensor checked out fine, so did the throttle body motor.

After further investigation I noticed the exposed part of the throttle cable had some lag in it. So I proceeded to gently tighten it up with the adjustment nuts that are on the throttle cable cradle. I am thrilled to say NO MORE HESITATION problems! Hopefully this helps someone else.

i am having that problems as well, is that something that needs to be replaced by the dealership or able to do that ourselves?

i wouldn't go to the stearlership but if u mechanically inclined this is a easy check! if not you might wanna go to a mechanic or a friend and have them help you (friend will be more inclined to help than a mechanic unless u have a shop like i do, all my friends are the mechanics and help me through most things) or u can buy a haynes manual and try it that way!

brian