Ode To My 1991 Honda Accord Ex

Lexus GS430 Guzzler

So my 1991 Honda Accord received minor front-end damage 3 months ago by some douchebag in a BMW SUV. It was in a parking lot, and I guess he saw a parking space he liked. He didn't even glance behind him when he backed out. He didn't stop as I slammed on the horn.

Anyways, a few weeks later my car finally dies. It looked ugly and leaked all sorts of fluids, door handle was busted, and the backlights wouldn't shut off.

So I went and bought a Lexus GS430, and left the Honda for my friend to work on and keep if he wanted it.

With 300 dollars, my mechanic friend pretty much restored the car. Hammered out the front end damage, found all the leaks, and found the main cause for most of my car woes these past few years - the O2 sensor. Apparently, my previous mechanic just kept crimping on a cheap universal O2 sensor. My car's engine light was always on and never drove right, but I didn't think it was the O2 sensor. Just the mysteries of a car with 300k miles. Mechanic friend told me that for Japanese cars, ONLY use the manufacturer's O2 sensor to be problem free.

He changed out all the broken parts, and cleaned the car up. With 300 dollars he's done a better job than any of my previous mechanics had done with 2000 dollars.

Just goes to show:

1.) Honda is hard to kill

2.) ALWAYS nice to have a trusted/good mechanic.

In the end, he didn't want the car as he missed driving his rice rocket. I covered him for his parts and paid him a little for his labor, and did some bartering with him.

I've been driving this thing around for the past 3 days, and it drives pretty damn good.

I just wanted to praise Honda, before I go park this thing and grab my Lexus.

Hondas AND Toyotas are pretty much indestructable! My dad regrets trading in his 1992 Honda Accord after putting only 86k miles on it in 4 years.

Currently the Odyssey has 155k miles and still runs great (even though I hate driving it because it's a top heavy car with an Accord engine! :o ). With proper maintenance and servicing, these things can easily run that 300k miles and beyond (after being so many sets of tires, so many brake pads, etc lol) :D