Abs 1999 Rx300

wheely

My ABS comes on even with normal breaking. I think the garage is ripping me off. He says its the ABS central modual. But my ABS indicator light is not on, and when I hook up the scanner, no codes are picked up.....Somebody else told be to clean the speed sensors, and someone else told me that my rear rotars could be warped (because I don't feel any steering wheel shakes upon braking). Any thoughts?

Pull the connector at the harness for the ABS (with the car off and key out) to disable it and then see if it still does it. I'm guessing it's the speed sensors not rotors. Could also be the toothed rings on the axles that the ABS sensors use to get info.

Pull the connector at the harness for the ABS (with the car off and key out) to disable it and then see if it still does it. I'm guessing it's the speed sensors not rotors. Could also be the toothed rings on the axles that the ABS sensors use to get info.

I remember others reporting this problem in the past. It was always the toothed rings on the axle that caused the problem. this requires axle shaft replacement which is expensive. You should troubleshoot and hope your cause is something less expensive but I think the odds are with the toothed ring. One way to verify it is the ABS is to remove the large ABS fuse in the fuse box. Don't just pull on it. There is a trick to getting it out, a screw from the bottom. Once it is out your car should operate normally as a car without ABS. Only problem is the ABS light will be on.

I think it is definately the ABS - that classic pop pop pop feel under your foot is unmistakable. (the rational for the rotars was that if they are warped, they will cause the breaks to lock up....possible?)

If it is the teeth, could the problem be seen by visual inspection, like damaged or broken tooth, and / or do they get dirty, in which I could clean them with a cleaner that is sensor safe ?

Thx a lot

I think it is definately the ABS - that classic pop pop pop feel under your foot is unmistakable. (the rational for the rotars was that if they are warped, they will cause the breaks to lock up....possible?)

If it is the teeth, could the problem be seen by visual inspection, like damaged or broken tooth, and / or do they get dirty, in which I could clean them with a cleaner that is sensor safe ?

Thx a lot

Look here:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread...p;highlight=ABS

and here:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...p;hl=axle+shaft

My ABS comes on even with normal breaking. I think the garage is ripping me off. He says its the ABS central modual. But my ABS indicator light is not on, and when I hook up the scanner, no codes are picked up.....Somebody else told be to clean the speed sensors, and someone else told me that my rear rotars could be warped (because I don't feel any steering wheel shakes upon braking). Any thoughts?

ABS codes don't come up on an ODBII scanner. You have to use an ABS code scanner.

So what exactly is the problem? Do you feel anything when you hit the brakes? Do any of the cels come up? Does your cruise control still work ok?

• 3 weeks later...

ABS codes don't come up on an ODBII scanner. You have to use an ABS code scanner.

So what exactly is the problem? Do you feel anything when you hit the brakes? Do any of the cels come up? Does your cruise control still work ok?

The problem is pretty much as described above and in the links that were also provided to me earlier above. ABS comes on under normal weather and breaking conditions at low speeds. Upon initial application the break feels smooth, but near stopping, ABS starts popping under my foot. Cruise control works fine. (I just came back from Atlantic City drive - about 2000km - 1200 miles).

I think I'll pull the sensors, one by one, and clean any metal fillings first, because I cannot tell from which tire the ABS is being triggered. If I can see the teeth through the mounting, after removing the sensor, I'll check for corosion. Will the ABS code scanner, you referred to, indicate which tire / sensor is being triggered? Remember that my ABS light is not on.

• 14 years later...

When I went in for a replacement ABS fusible link, a most helpful Lexus mechanic volunteered the opinion that "a reluctor ring had come loose and was rotating freely" causing the computer to make bad ABS decisions based on bad information.

He also confirmed the solution would be an axle replacement and it would be "pricey."

(Currently looking for "How to Disable ABS (and return to the Uncomplicated 1950s)")