1999 Ls400

lexl

just outfitted my1999 ls400 with new rims and continental contipro contact tires-235/50r18.well very dissapointing. rims lo0ks good but i feel a lot of shimmee at 80MPH>balanced with hunter road force 9700 -still shimmee. when i install oem wheels -NO SIMMEE!!!!!!!PLEASE GIVE ME SOME FEED BACK.is the tires or the rims?or both?

This is an easy one since the problem disappears when you put on the stock set.

Here are some possibilities:

Manufacturing defect on either rims or tires

Tire tread off center

Tires out of round

Rims not true (even slightly off will affect your ride)

Rims over torqued

Tires not mounted properly on rims

Wheels not balanced

You may have to replace one or more items to get it smooth. Another possibility is that you hit a bad bump in the road sometime. Many rims are fragile and can sustain damage on bumps/holes/cracks that would not affect oem wheels. That's the risk you take in going aftermarket.

This is an easy one since the problem disappears when you put on the stock set.

Tire tread off center

Tires out of round

Rims over torqued

Wheels not balanced

You may have to replace one or more items to get it smooth. Another possibility is that you hit a bad bump in the road sometime. Many rims are fragile and can sustain damage on bumps/holes/cracks that would not affect oem wheels. That's the risk you take in going aftermarket.

thanks for the info.will update you.e name='eatingupblacktop' post='324369' date='Aug 9 2008, 10:39 AM']This is an easy one since the problem disappears when you put on the stock set.

Tire tread off center

Tires out of round

Rims over torqued

Wheels not balanced

just outfitted my1999 ls400 with new rims and continental contipro contact tires-235/50r18.well very dissapointing. rims lo0ks good but i feel a lot of shimmee at 80MPH>balanced with hunter road force 9700 -still shimmee. when i install oem wheels -NO SIMMEE!!!!!!!PLEASE GIVE ME SOME FEED BACK.is the tires or the rims?or both?

Larger diameter, heavier wheels and tires like you have sometimes amplify the effect of worn suspension components. How many miles do you have on your car?

At about 80,000 mies, my 2000 LS400 developed a shimmy at highway speeds which was substantially more pronounced when using the heavier OEM wheels and summer tires than when using my lighter weight aftermarket wheels and snow tires. Both sets of wheels and tires were balanced and technicians confirmed that all the wheels in both sets were "true". It turned out that the strut bar bushings were shot -- they lasted even fewer miles than on my 90 LS. Replacing the strut bars and bushings completely eliminated the shimmy.

I'd suggest taking your car in for alignment -- worn suspension components are often obvious to an alignment tech.

And where the heck are you driving over 130 km in the Toronto area? I was in the Toronto area during Canada Day week and I'd like to avoid being near where you drive the next time we come up there! :) Although there was an exceptional amount of police radar in use during Canada Day week, I was still impressed at how Ontario well drivers behaved and how closely speed limits were followed -- much better than here in the U.S. midwest.

Your car has HUGE brakes. The rear centerbore is big. I had problems with the rear wheels not seating properly even though the wheels were hubcentric. I can't recell, but there might have been a ridge near the center? It took the techs several tries to find the issue. Good thing I work there! If the shake is in the seat, it's coming from the rear wheels. If the shake is in the steering wheels, it's in the front. Let go of the wheel and decide where you feel it. Sometimes it seems to come from the floor or through the pedals. I've had at least 5 sets of wheels on my car now and if the rear centerbore is right, the wheels have balanced just fine.