Over Heat With New Water Pump?

Studcris103

I NEED HELP....I WAS RECENTLY DRIVING ON THE FREEWAY A COUPLE DAYS AGO AND MY CAR STARTED SMOKING AND THE TRANSMISSION WAS STUCK?? WHAT DOES THAT MEAN? I TOOK IT TO GET THE WATER PUMP CHANGED LIKE TWO DAYS BEFORE, SO WHY DID IT OVER HEAT AND START SMOKING? THEN WHEN IT SAT FOR LIKE 5 MIN. IT WAS OK??? BUT NOW I FEEL HEAT COMMING FROM THE DRIVER SIDE VENTS....HELP!! :censored:

hard to say, do you have check engine light on?

define "transmission was stuck"

did you feel loss of power?

how is the temperature gauge?

Yes the check engine light is on, it goes on and off...sometimes it doesnt turn on. <_<

By transmission stuck I mean that the car would not accelerate....

The power was not lost.

The temperture gauge was only half way....but for some reason there was smoke??

Any ideas??

Yes the check engine light is on, it goes on and off...sometimes it doesnt turn on. <_<

The power was not lost.

Any ideas??

The new water pump and the current problem may not be related, just coincidental. Was it smoke (like something was on fire from a fuel leak), oil on something hot (like a transmission cooling tube putting transmission fluid on the hot bits), or was it steam (like hot coolant leaking)? What did it smell like? I broke a fan belt (in the old says when there was a fan belt) once and the broken part whipped around and snatched the transmission cooling tubes out of the radiator--it looked like a NASCAR racer with a solid sheet of smoke out the back. Needless to say, the transmission lost the ability to transmiss. Don't know what your problem is, but I'm thinking it isn't that water pump install. Good luck!

The power was not lost.

Any ideas??

The new water pump and the current problem may not be related, just coincidental. Was it smoke (like something was on fire from a fuel leak), oil on something hot (like a transmission cooling tube putting transmission fluid on the hot bits), or was it steam (like hot coolant leaking)? What did it smell like? I broke a fan belt (in the old says when there was a fan belt) once and the broken part whipped around and snatched the transmission cooling tubes out of the radiator--it looked like a NASCAR racer with a solid sheet of smoke out the back. Needless to say, the transmission lost the ability to transmiss. Don't know what your problem is, but I'm thinking it isn't that water pump install. Good luck!

It was like steam but it smelled like something burnt.

I guess the logical step would be to pull engine codes. You can take it to most big box auto stores and they'll do it free. Or, if you must, take it to lexus.

But I'd start with the guy who did your pump.

Which auto store would you suggest?

Yeah definitely get the codes before you try to do anything!

Maybe clear them and see if they come back..maybe

Is the car still driveable?

The car is drivable but theres hot air coming from the driver side vent. It worries me that the car will over heat.

I see you have a 90.

You can check codes here:

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/intro/codereading.html

Very simple, and you don't have to drive anywhere.

You can take it to autozone or advance auto parts as well, if their obd reader will work on an obd1 system.

Call them 1st to see if they'll do it. Not all will.

It was like steam but it smelled like something burnt.

That's what I call a clue. The only thing puzzling me tho, is that your temp gauge was normal.

Why did you take it in for the water pump? Was the timing belt changed at the same time?

If we take temp gauge out of the equation, I'd say your coolant is leaking onto an exhaust pipe/ cat.

Go out and look at the level. You could also warm it up, and let it idle in the drive w/ hood open, and eyeball where the 'steam' is coming from.

My two cents.

Seems to me you blew a A/C hose or the electric fans aren't working with the A/C and the high preasure opened a relief valve.

Is your A/C blowing cold air?

No. the a/c doesn't blow cold air. I think that may be it...but to be sure Im going to check the engine codes. Thanks! :cheers:

I see you have a 90.

You can take it to autozone or advance auto parts as well, if their obd reader will work on an obd1 system.

Thanks! :)

I see you have a 90.

THEY DONT DO IT ANYMORE! :chairshot: THAT SUCKS. NOW I HAVE TO PAY AN EXTRA 60 BUCKS TO GO TO A MECH.

yes they do, but since ur lex is older then 95, you cant really connect obdII scanner to your car. you have to read the code manually.

look at the tutorial in the link from the lexls site and to it yourself. its gonna save you 60$ u were about to spend on the trip to mechanic.:)

yes they do, but since ur lex is older then 95, you cant really connect obdII scanner to your car. you have to read the code manually.

look at the tutorial in the link from the lexls site and to it yourself. its gonna save you 60$ u were about to spend on the trip to mechanic.:)

I'm actually gonna have to spend $60 bucks to buy the obd1. I called all the auto zones around my house and they all said the same thing. We don't perform that anymore, and I asked who does they said call a mechanic. <_<