Mobil One 0-40w

brucelee

hi, i have about 110k miles on my sc...which viscosity is best if i want to use mobil 1??

That is the question we started out with and have various opinions.

I thought 0-40 was the tix--plenty of flow when cold, plenty of viscosity at high temps.

We dont have any definitive word yet.

hi, i have about 110k miles on my sc...which viscosity is best if i want to use mobil 1??

IMO for now...if your engine is in good running condition then use the weight the manufacturer recommends.

feel free to run syn oils if you're comfortable with the added cost and considering no leaks around the engine.

if you're serious in finding out if the oil is right for you then spend a few bucks and send the oil sample to a lab to see whats going on in the motor.

Mobil1 comes in 0W-20, 0W-30, 0W-40, 5W-30, 10W-30 and 15W-50. Here in Hawaii the temperatures range from high 60's to high 80's so 10W-30 is a good choice. The viscosity range is less than 0W-40 so there are fewer polymers in the oil which is a good thing.

Where do you live? What temperature variations do you see where you are? The mileage on your car is less of a consideration than the climate that you live in since 100K doesn't qualify as a high mileage engine unless you have to add a quart of oil every 1000 miles and you're blowing blue smoke!!

For mainland driving Bruelee's 0W-40 oil seems to be a good all weather choice.

:)

I drive in So. Cal. Temp can be as low as say 35 or as high as 118 in the Palms Springs area.

What I had been noticing is more valve noise upon start up than I would prefer. The 0-40 cured that immediately.

http://www.mindspring.com/~bill99gxe/Oil%2...s%20Results.zip

download the xls file from the link above.  it's from a friend of mine who's a maxima owner and taken oil samples and recorded their facts.  yes i also own a maxima so my test is up there too.

Mktbully:

Question for you. What are the credentials for these people, providing information?

Just kind of curious. There are websites out-there that don't provide the best of the best info.

blackstone provides a result of the oil sample in a email format. the emails are forwarded to one person who's collecting the data. of course there will be slight bit of margin of error...but we're looking at a population sample.

the people who are taking samples are the DIYers just like u and me (i'm assuming you're a DIY).

basically you let the oil drain for 5-10 secs and then a bottle is stuck in the stream to collect the sample.

there are no manufacturers paying for it. each sample is paid for by each owner of the car. no bias is put on to anything. the comments are coming from blackstone themselves.

Interesting.

BlackSC4:

A couple of my mechanic friends and a Mobil Lab guy says, any early, high mileage 6 or 8 cylinder Japanese car in MidAtlantic weather( Wet, cold, and hot Climate) can use 5W30 and 10w30. That's the best performance oil. The Mobil Lab guy says 5w40 and 0w40 can be used on 02-04 cars.

i get the main picture here. i also tlaked to a toyota guy and he said once you go synthetic you gota stick with it or else its gunna start leaking oil if you switch back. true or false?? the climate around here fluctuates very often, but never extreme colds or extreme hots. so i will try out 0-40 then check out 5-30 next and compare. thanks for the help(s).

i get the main picture here. i also tlaked to a toyota guy and he said once you go synthetic you gota stick with it or else its gunna start leaking oil if you switch back. true or false?? the climate around here fluctuates very often, but never extreme colds or extreme hots. so i will try out 0-40 then check out 5-30 next and compare. thanks for the help(s).

if you're leaking w/ dino oil then you'll be leaking w/ syn.

if it's a small leak w/ dino oil then it'll be a bigger leak w/ syn.

syn oils tends to have more detergent than dino oils...so if you have a clump of sludge/foreign material blocking the leak then the syn oil will wash it out hence leaking more w/ syn oil. so basically you can switch...but it's better to stay with one kind.

It is not really an issue of detergents but the synthetic filtering process ( hence the name synthetic) It basically removes more waxes to make a better flowing oil which makes it superior to conventional filtering duno. This makes is more noticcable for leaks . It doesn't cause them it just lets you know you already have them and it passes through the smaller holes in gaskets.

If you got to dyno and to syn there is no problem to do either or. It is up to you there is no kind of damage bettween them, It is the difference bettween filtered water and tap water.

You can drink both ,but why?

Since you're switching from Synthetic(0W40) to Synthetic(5W30) it shouldn't create any leaks, but it is bad if you continuously change the weight of the oil, it will create problems down the road.

If I were you, I would use 0W40 for a couple of days, and then switch to 5 or 10 W 30.

Switching from non-synthetic to synthetic is good for the block, but continuously switching, will reduce your engines performance significantly.

Synthetic prevents buildup. Some of the "detergents" are chemicals that reduces/breaks down the size of metal fragments and carbons in your engine.

MKt:

What's "dino oil"?

i get the main picture here.  i also tlaked to a toyota guy and he said once you go synthetic you gota stick with it or else its gunna start leaking oil if you switch back.  true or false??  the climate around here fluctuates very often, but never extreme colds or extreme hots. so i will try out 0-40 then check out 5-30 next and compare. thanks for the help(s).

Since you're switching from Synthetic(0W40) to Synthetic(5W30) it shouldn't create any leaks, but it is bad if you continuously change the weight of the oil, it will create problems down the road.

If I were you, I would use 0W40 for a couple of days, and then switch to 5 or 10 W 30.

Switching from non-synthetic to synthetic is good for the block, but continuously switching, will reduce your engines performance significantly.

Synthetic prevents buildup. Some of the "detergents" are chemicals that reduces/breaks down the size of metal fragments and carbons in your engine.

MKt:

What's "dino oil"?

dino oil = non syn oils. ya know the black stuff from the ground that used to be dinosaurs. :D