How I Made Mp3 Playback Work In My Ls430

JadeMonkey

I just bought a 2005 LS430 and was disappointed that I couldn't play MP3's or WMA's. No FM transmitter for me and hooking up an iPod in the glove box to a cable is an option that I would do as a last resort. Ideally I would like to replace the build-in CD changer either with one that can handle MP3's or with a DIN unit that has a build in 3" screen, USB and SD slot and just use the MP3 feature of the unit.

I started this topic to encourage readers to share the way they have overcome this shortcoming. Please include pics and links of hardware and cable harnesses you used to accomplish the task.

• 1 month later...

Vaistech makes an adapter plug that fits the oem harness and allows you to connect an i pod.

I'm in the same boat - in terms of wanting to know a good (clean audio) way to connect my ipod into my 04 LS430. Someone please post a tip.

Jay

Some of the Vaistech adaptors also have a line input you can use to connect other devices; such as a MP3 compatible CD changer or a DVD player.

Vaistech makes an adapter plug that fits the oem harness and allows you to connect an i pod.
I'm in the same boat - in terms of wanting to know a good (clean audio) way to connect my ipod into my 04 LS430. Someone please post a tip.

Jay

tried the FM transmitter and got decent sound (mainly podcasts) but as if would drive the device needed to have the transmitting station changed when Iwent out of my normal driving area (at least in So Cal). I recently installed the VAIS adapter and am very happy with it with the exception of a smal glitch which was corrected with a re-set. The iPOD is in the glove compartment and only needs to be removed to sync with the computer. It can be controlled with the NAV screen (which provides song titles, etc) the radio controls or the steering wheel controls. Installation is a bit scary but is really easy.

I used a method that was suggested by another club member.

It involved adding a line in to the cd changer inputs at the back of the deck. (I used a wiring diagram to find the correct lines).

Then I had to create an 80 min CD of...silence. This ensures that the CD source input is active but with no sound (the car is technically playing a silent cd).

That's about it!

Works great., perfect sound, and only costed me a 3.5mm extension that I picked up at a dollar store somewhere, a blank CD and about an hour of my time.

ORIGINAL POST

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I just bought a 2005 LS430 and was disappointed that I couldn't play MP3's or WMA's. No FM transmitter for me and hooking up an iPod in the glove box to a cable is an option that I would do as a last resort. Ideally I would like to replace the build-in CD changer either with one that can handle MP3's or with a DIN unit that has a build in 3" screen, USB and SD slot and just use the MP3 feature of the unit.

I started this topic to encourage readers to share the way they have overcome this shortcoming. Please include pics and links of hardware and cable harnesses you used to accomplish the task.

If MP3 is all you want (not iPod) here is a clever product:

Ebay 350125236951

It's a cassette adapter with a slot for a memory card (SD) with your music on it. I haven't tried it but a friend of mine uses it for his older Jaguar and loves it.

There are more expensive ones if you are interested in comparing