140--to Many New Miles?

Waldokind

The rains and flooding in the East have literally derailed the local delivery of my new 08 ES350. The dealer found a local substitute he wants to sell me. Same configuration and color, but this car has 140 miles on it. The one stuck on the train would be factory fresh, so 10-20 miles only. Should I worry about getting a "new" car with over a hundred miles on it (about half from the dealer swap drive)? Maybe it's actually a good thing (no infant mortality)?

Thanks!

The rains and flooding in the East have literally derailed the local delivery of my new 08 ES350. The dealer found a local substitute he wants to sell me. Same configuration and color, but this car has 140 miles on it. The one stuck on the train would be factory fresh, so 10-20 miles only. Should I worry about getting a "new" car with over a hundred miles on it (about half from the dealer swap drive)? Maybe it's actually a good thing (no infant mortality)?

Thanks!

Unless they give you a better deal, I would wait. It is still 120 miles more than a new car. Plus infant mortality could come into play even later. I would ask why it has 140 miles....did the car dealership manager use it as his/her car? If so, you should get a better deal! Ask for a few thousand or so (other's may have a better idea what is reasonable)....but if I didn't get a better deal, I would wait. Just my opinion.

Unless they give you a better deal, I would wait. It is still 120 miles more than a new car. I would ask why it has 140 miles....did the car dealership manager use it as his/her car? If so, you should get a better deal! Ask for a few thousand or so (other's may have a better idea what is reasonable)....but if I didn't get a better deal, I would wait.

Went to the dealer today and I will be waiting, but not for the reason I expected. This substitute car was driven in from a major city which accounts for 117 of the 145 miles. I crawled my fingers over the entire front end...absolutely flawless. Not a speck of chipped paint anywhere. The car doesn't have a front tag frame and I was surprised to see there are nonetheless two small indentations where it would be. Anyway, what broke the deal was it was the wrong interior color. Oops! I wonder what these trades cost the dealership? I felt bad for them. They'd waxed it, Armor-all'ed the tires, and everything...to see me walk away.

So I was faced with waiting indefinitely for my real car to make it here (while I drive the dealer's '04 ES330 loaner--thanks guys!). Before I left, the salesman spent 20+ minutes on the phone then dropped a big surprise--there's another car with the really-right colors only 60 miles away. They'll have it for me Saturday morning. Fascinating to me they didn't find that one first, but there must be interesting negotiations going on. I can hardly wait! For my troubles, they've already given me a free logo baseball cap and a voucher for no-charge 10K maintenance, and I'm paying a rock-bottom price too. I haven't even given them a dollar yet. "A service company that sells great cars" they say. "Amen" says I.

You sound a bit like me with the "Not a speck of chipped paint anywhere." I cannot stress the importance of getting a clear front bra on the front bumper, partial hood, etc. The paint on this car (IMHO) chips extremely easily. I was sick after the first couple of weeks with my car... then I had the paint touched up and front bra installed and have been happy since.

Congrats on the new car.

I cannot stress the importance of getting a clear front bra on the front bumper, partial hood, etc. The paint on this car (IMHO) chips extremely easily.

That's a suggestion I'll take seriously. Do you live in an area where the road is particularly rough? I saw a car in the dealer showroom that had a clear-plastic hood covering. It was invisible from a few feet away, but certainly took the sharpness of the reflections away when viewed nearby. Little bit of an "orange rind" finish.

I found the guys at http://www.invisiblemask.com and $160 seems reasonable to cover my bumper. They make it sound easy. Did you do this yourself?

My guess is the car you viewed with the clear bra was not Starfire Pearl? :) The Starfire hides the bra quite well – probably the best color for a clear bra.

I personally had my hood covered about 12"-20" back, side view mirrors, front bumper and a small section of the fenders (and an area by the trunk – where a suitcase might drag across). In my opinion the most crucial area that needs covered is the front bumper. The hood does not seem to chip as easily; I am not sure if that is due to the hood being manufactured using different materials?

I had all of my work completed at Ziebart. They offered a lifetime peal, fade, chip, etc. warranty which was worth the extra cost to me (my total cost was around $500 if I remember correctly). I have had work completed at Ziebart in the past and have been very pleased (Lexus would not cover the bumper, only the hood).

Make sure whoever installs the bra, covers the entire bumper, including the intricate areas nearest the ground. Also - check their pervious work, the front bra's are much more difficult to install than one would think. If the car is not completely clean you will be able to see the debris under the bra. If the installer cuts the edges by hand, the imperfect cut will collect dirt and not look ‘professional,’ whereas Ziebart and some others have a pattern in their computer system for the 350; they do a machine cut which in theory should be perfectly cut to meet all edges. I would personally not have a bra installed if it were cut by hand - but I have OCD and am a bit of a freak. ;)

If you check out their previous work and have any reservations at all - go elsewhere; do not let cost be the determining factor when dealing with the front of your new $40k car.

Good luck!

P.S. I live in Indiana; similar climate to Ohio - worse roads. :)

My guess is the car you viewed with the clear bra was not Starfire Pearl? :) The Starfire hides the bra quite well – probably the best color for a clear bra.

I personally had my hood covered about 12"-20" back, side view mirrors, front bumper and a small section of the fenders (and an area by the trunk – where a suitcase might drag across). In my opinion the most crucial area that needs covered is the front bumper. The hood does not seem to chip as easily; I am not sure if that is due to the hood being manufactured using different materials?

I had all of my work completed at Ziebart. They offered a lifetime peal, fade, chip, etc. warranty which was worth the extra cost to me (my total cost was around $500 if I reme mber correctly). I have had work completed at Ziebart in the past and have been very pleased (Lexus would not cover the bumper, only the hood).

Make sure whoever installs the bra, covers the entire bumper, including the intricate areas nearest the ground. Also - check their pervious work, the front bra's are much more difficult to install than one would think. If the car is not completely clean you will be able to see the debris under the bra. If the installer cuts the edges by hand, the imperfect cut will collect dirt and not look ‘professional,’ whereas Ziebart and some others have a pattern in their computer system for the 350; they do a machine cut which in theory should be perfectly cut to meet all edges. I would personally not have a bra installed if it were cut by hand - but I have OCD and am a bit of a freak. ;)

If you check out their previous work and have any reservations at all - go elsewhere; do not let cost be the determining factor when dealing with the front of your new $40k car.

Good luck!

P.S. I live in Indiana; similar climate to Ohio - worse roads. :)

The roads in Indiana can't be worse than some in Ohio! We have some potholes big enough to swallow an ES.

• 2 months later...

Waldokind

So I was faced with waiting indefinitely for my real car to make it here (while I drive the dealer's '04 ES330 loaner--thanks guys!). Before I left, the salesman spent 20+ minutes on the phone then dropped a big surprise--there's another car with the really-right colors only 60 miles away. They'll have it for me Saturday morning. Fascinating to me they didn't find that one first, but there must be interesting negotiations going on. I can hardly wait! For my troubles, they've already given me a free logo baseball cap and a voucher for no-charge 10K maintenance, and I'm paying a rock-bottom price too. I haven't even given them a dollar yet. "A service company that sells great cars" they say. "Amen" says I.

Can I ask which dealer in Ohio this was? I am debating what car to get next and considering the ES. Haven't driven one yet; sat in a loaner a co-worker got when she brought her SC430 in for something. I liked the ES.

I'm in northeast Ohio. I'd like to find a service oriented dealer.

Can I ask which dealer in Ohio this was?

I am debating what car to get next and considering the ES. Haven't driven one yet; sat in a loaner a co-worker got when she brought her SC430 in for something. I liked the ES.

I'm in northeast Ohio. I'd like to find a service oriented dealer.

Lexus of Dayton, http://www.lexusofdayton.com/. My salesman was Jim Harper, on the job for 20 years.