Hesitation Fixer Upper...hmmm

MistaG

Ok, Check this out,

I have been experiencing a stuttering effect in my 1990 ls whenever I moderately accelerate. In other words, everytime I am cruising at about 1600 to 1700 rpms and I press down on the pedal to upshift, I get this stuttering effect that will remain stuttering for about five seconds before it kicks into gear and drives normally again. The problem is that although my rpms go up my speed basically remains the same. Now if I open up full throttle it goes away but I am sure that constantly opening up full throttle is not good for my pearl. I waited for my tank to nearly empty and bought two octane boosters and a few bottles of fuel system cleaner. then I put in about 10 dollars worth of premium fuel. Which I always use. And vuallla... THe problem is gone but I know it is a short term fix. So could someone please tell me what issue it is that my Pearl is experiencing and what service do I need to have done to keep her purring like she is now.

Thanks So Much in advance for any input you can provide..

Well, Its been about three month that I had a tune up in which I had the spark plugs and wires changed, I am always on top of the air filter and I always put premium fuel into her. Now I will admit that for a while there about two years ago I had spent a good time putting in special unleaded as oppossed to premium, but that was before I knew any better. But if you think it may be the plugs or wires, then why did the problem go away so fast ever since I put in the octane booster and fuel additives? She purrs like a kitten now and now stuttering whatsoever. She would also slightly misfire every now and then when I would be stopped at a stoplight for example. That too is now gone. I just have this strong feeling that a twenty dollar fix will not last that long. So what else could it be?

MistaG

Also worth a try - older Lexuses can have injectors and injector wires go bad. My '91 just had the wires changes. The plugs - like yours - were new. 1 hour labor cost will decide if this is the problem. You can get an OEM injector wire harness for under a $100 depending on performance attributes or a for $156 from Lexus. If you need an injector, they're about $170 each at Lexus. Make sure they tell you if an injector is bad. If it's just the wiring harness, you'll be out for under $250.00.

G

there was another guy here who had this problem but in his case it was a wrong timing and after he redid it it was ok. but in your case i think it might be elecitrical then. do you remember if car had this behaviour b4 tuneup or got it right after haviung tuneup?