Can Weak Battery Cause Starting Problems?

Question for every SC400 lover/expert out there. Can a weak battery cause my SC400 to have a hard time starting? Has anyone else had the same problems as me? I don't drive my car much. If I don't start my car everyday and drive it for a while, I sometimes have a difficult time starting the engine. As soon as I get the car started, I don't have any more problems starting the car. Once the car starts, everything runs nice and smooth. The battery hasnt been replaced for about six years, but the car has been driven less than 15K miles since the battery was replaced. For a while my car wouldn't start at all. After I replaced my fuel ECU, I was able to start the car again. But if I don't drive it everyday, I have intermittent starting issues.

Question for every SC400 lover/expert out there. Can a weak battery cause my SC400 to have a hard time starting? Has anyone else had the same problems as me? I don't drive my car much. If I don't start my car everyday and drive it for a while, I sometimes have a difficult time starting the engine. As soon as I get the car started, I don't have any more problems starting the car. Once the car starts, everything runs nice and smooth. The battery hasnt been replaced for about six years, but the car has been driven less than 15K miles since the battery was replaced. For a while my car wouldn't start at all. After I replaced my fuel ECU, I was able to start the car again. But if I don't drive it everyday, I have intermittent starting issues.

A weak batt can cause it. However, make sure you have the right size battery; refering to CCA. There are a couple of other things that might also. You didn't mention if the engine turned over or if it tried to turn when you have problems. Anyway you can take your batt in to your local auto-ware shop to get it tested on a load.

sometimes a good quality battery (ie. DieHard, Panasonic(Lexus/Toyota) and a few others help prevent this problem. A weak Alternator or bad terminal connections can cause this.

If you don't drive the car regularly, then a number of things can conspire against you.

Firstly there is a slight but constant drain on your battery from various systems. When you do start the car but don't drive it long enough, your battery will not get fully charged. With each subsequent start and short drive, you diminish the battery's charge. You can compensate for this by putting on a trickle charge with an auto shutoff to prevent overcharging. You will also get condensation if you don't get the engine up to normal operating temps. You will get carbon buildup in the cats if they don't warm up to proper temps. Every once in a while, after getting to normal temp, I would do several 0-70 WOT runs to clean them out. If you're not driving it regularly, you should keep the fuel tank full. I would also run the a/c every time you drive to keep the seals from drying out.

If you don't drive the car regularly, then a number of things conspire against you.

Firstly there is a slight but constant drain on your battery from various systems. When you do start the car but don't drive it long enough, your battery will not get fully charged. With each subsequent start and short drive, you diminish the battery's charge. You can compensate for this by putting on a trickle charge with an auto shutoff to prevent overcharging. You will also get condensation if you don't get the engine up to normal operating temps. You will get carbon buildup in the cats if they don't warm up to proper temps. Every once in a while, after getting to normal temp, I would do several 0-70 WOT runs to clean them out. If you're not driving it regularly, you should keep the fuel tank full. I would also run the a/c every time you drive to keep the seals from drying out.

But in my case, the engine cranks strong, but I get no ignition. Would a weak battery cause that issue? Or do I have some other intermittent problem? Speaking of WOT, do you recommend any fuel injection cleaner in particular? Why would keeping the fuel tank full help? My AC also isnt cool anymore, but R-12 aint cheap.

But in my case, the engine cranks strong, but I get no ignition.
Cold start injector could be your problem. I would also check that your plugs aren't fouled by stale fuel.

Speaking of WOT
WOT = wide open throttle. 0 - 70 mph.

Why would keeping the fuel tank full help?
The less fuel you have the more condensation you'll get in your tank.

My AC also isnt cool anymore
If you want it cool you'll have to top it up. Google the r12 substitute called Freeze 12. Haven't used it but here's a link to a forum:

http://forums.turbobricks.com/archive/index.php/t-73973.html

you also might want to check if there is a lot of resistant in your start system. but definitely week battery could cause starting problem.

I'd start by changing the battery. A 6 year old battery is pushing the life it, not using the car much is bad for the battery, like it was stated previously. Car batterys have an average life of about 5 normal years of use, +/- a year or two depending on use and state of the cars charging sysem.

Take the battery to a autozone, napa etc. and have them check to see what shape it's in.

I'd start by changing the battery. A 6 year old battery is pushing the life it, not using the car much is bad for the battery, like it was stated previously. Car batterys have an average life of about 5 normal years of use, +/- a year or two depending on use and state of the cars charging sysem.

Take the battery to a autozone, napa etc. and have them check to see what shape it's in.

I replaced the battery with a new one with 850CCA at 32 deg F. It started up without issues the past two days. Waiting and seeing......

I replaced the battery with a new one with 850CCA at 32 deg F. It started up without issues the past two days. Waiting and seeing......

PROBLEM CAME BACK. RESET THE RELAYS UNDER THE HOOD AND AGAIN I COULD START IT. ANYONE KNOW WHAT'S WRONG WITH MY CAR?

sometimes a good quality battery (ie. DieHard, Panasonic(Lexus/Toyota) and a few others help prevent this problem. A weak Alternator or bad terminal connections can cause this.

COULD A WEAK ALTERNATOR CAUSE THIS EVEN IF I JUST REPLACED THE BATTERY? THEORETICALLY COULDNT THE ALTERNATOR BE BAD, AND A NEW BATTERY COULD COMPENSATE FOR IT UNTIL IT RAN OUT OF JUICE?

COULD A WEAK ALTERNATOR CAUSE THIS EVEN IF I JUST REPLACED THE BATTERY? THEORETICALLY COULDNT THE ALTERNATOR BE BAD, AND A NEW BATTERY COULD COMPENSATE FOR IT UNTIL IT RAN OUT OF JUICE?

Do you get any "Check Eng" or "BATT" lights. And how are you "reseting the relays"? If you're getting Check Eng; do you know how to retrieve the codes. As I said before;There are a couple of other things that might also cause you problems. Just don't panic and Keep It Simple S_____. Take everything into account that the car is doing and not doing. ie., you should have "Check Eng" or "BATT" lights on before you crank it and they go out after the engine is running. This is all helpful info.

Also, do you have a multimeter? If so;

with eng off, place Pos(+) lead on Pos post of Batt. Neg(-) lead on eng block. Read and record Voltage DC.

Start eng; Voltage should rise a few volts over 12VDC.

this tells you that your Alt/&voltage regulator are good.

Do you get any "Check Eng" or "BATT" lights. And how are you "reseting the relays"? If you're getting Check Eng; do you know how to retrieve the codes. As I said before;There are a couple of other things that might also cause you problems. Just don't panic and Keep It Simple S_____. Take everything into account that the car is doing and not doing. ie., you should have "Check Eng" or "BATT" lights on before you crank it and they go out after the engine is running. This is all helpful info.

with eng off, place Pos(+) lead on Pos post of Batt. Neg(-) lead on eng block. Read and record Voltage DC.

When I reset my relays, I mean I physically pull them out in the fuse box, and put the relay right back in. I reset the EFI relay, and most times it lets me start the car right up. I don't get any lights in my dash, and all lights turn out after the car starts. The car runs fine once it starts, I'm now thinking cold start injector switch or injector problem. What do you think? Haven't chkd the alt voltage yet.

When I reset my relays, I mean I physically pull them out in the fuse box, and put the relay right back in. I reset the EFI relay, and most times it lets me start the car right up. I don't get any lights in my dash, and all lights turn out after the car starts. The car runs fine once it starts, I'm now thinking cold start injector switch or injector problem. What do you think? Haven't chkd the alt voltage yet.

OK. Now take out the EFI relay and check it's contacts. Make sure that they are clean. Use a small nail file or sand paper,anything. If you have that multimeter check ; for ground on pin 3. And finally, since your there; swap the relay with the DEFROST relay. As it is summer and I don't think your using it.

OK. Now take out the EFI relay and check it's contacts. Make sure that they are clean. Use a small nail file or sand paper,anything. If you have that multimeter check ; for ground on pin 3. And finally, since your there; swap the relay with the DEFROST relay. As it is summer and I don't think your using it.

I haven't done the multimeter chk yet. I already swapped all the same relays around while troubleshooting. I peeked around where I think the cold start injector switch is. I found what appears to be like a ground "prong" connector that might have been not completely seated snugly. I reseated it several times. See how it goes from here. Car has been starting fine after this, but everytime I think it's ok, problems reappears soon. Which one is pin 3 for the EFI relay, and if there's no ground, is there a wiring issue or a component issue?