Other Mysteries....

vroom8

Could I ask you great mechanics a question about a friends problems...?

1999 Toyota Camry 6cyl....similiar to a Lexus, sort of..

Her mechanic did a pressure test on the cooling system, and she thinks he put too much pressure on it, or something..

water pump test...she said when she started it a bunch of dust and stuff flew out, and it has lost some compression. Could something have blown out?

water pump was fine, but now she has engine problems...

any ideas? hmmmmmm?

thanks

Her mechanic did a pressure test on the cooling system, and she thinks he put too much pressure on it, or something..

water pump test...she said when she started it a bunch of dust and stuff flew out, and it has lost some compression. Could something have blown out?

any ideas? hmmmmmm?

thanks

Take it right back to the mechanic and ask him/her exactly what he/she did.

thank you black LS 90- like your car.

yes. I would think this would be a general question...that is why I asked here.

Has anyone else experienced something like this ? I am thinking it could be coincidental, but more than likely not.

any ideas? hmmmmmm?

thanks

You haven't mentioned why the cooling system was tested nor what type of engine problems she is having!

You may want to ask on the Lexus ES forums

It sounds to me like an issue that the type of car is irrelevant.

I agree this should be posted in the ES forum but the problem could happen to either.

The mechanic has no idea what the problem is? What kind of symptoms is she having?

Yes, we are wondering if too much pressure was applied during a coolant system pressure check.

The car was running at full capacity, engine was great, but she thought the water pump might be leaking, so mechanic did a pressure test and the water pump seemed OK, but now the engine seems to be sluggish, and the vents are blowing out dust and dirt...wondering if something was blown out..regarding the engine or something..of course the mechanic is not admitting to anything...and will not tell her the amt of pressure applied.

thanks

The mechanic has no idea what the problem is? What kind of symptoms is she having?

Yes, we are wondering if too much pressure was applied during a coolant system pressure check.

The car was running at full capacity, engine was great, but she thought the water pump might be leaking, so mechanic did a pressure test and the water pump seemed OK, but now the engine seems to be sluggish, and the vents are blowing out dust and dirt...wondering if something was blown out..regarding the engine or something..of course the mechanic is not admitting to anything...and will not tell her the amt of pressure applied.

thanks

Why did she think the pump might be leaking? Was the coolant down? Did she see a puddle or traces under the hood? Was the car running high temps? And when you say "her mechanic" do you mean this is someone who has been regularly servicing her car? Is he an independant or with a dealer? If he can't diagnose the problem or even offer an opinion, I would tell him you're going to have another shop look at it. I hope you have an itemized bill for his services.

thanks

Why did she think the pump might be leaking? Was the coolant down? Did she see a puddle or traces under the hood? Was the car running high temps? And when you say "her mechanic" do you mean this is someone who has been regularly servicing her car? Is he an independant or with a dealer? If he can't diagnose the problem or even offer an opinion, I would tell him you're going to have another shop look at it. I hope you have an itemized bill for his services.

Yes, there was coolant dripping from the pump area, not very much , but enough to be somewhat concerned, so she took the car to a mechanic that someone had recommended, an independent guy, and just wanted him to do a simple pressure test, and she thinks he overdid it and blew something in her engine, because she is now having very sluggish engine performance, whereas it was very normal before.

So _Question _for anyone who whould like to respond:

Is it possible to blow up something or damage an engine part --rings, cylinders, gaskets, if enough pressure is applied....I am not saying this is what happened, but am holding it open as a possibility, only. How strong are these pressure testers? I can't believe any certified mechanic could make such a terrible mistake, if indeed this is what really happened.

yes, I agreed, the type of vehicle is irrelevant.

I was just wondering if anyone else had had a similiar experience: in my many years of owning cars, I have never heard of anything like this.

thanks

I have never seen a problem caused by applying too much pressure to the cooling system other than blowing out the radiator or pump which would only happen if they were worn anyway.

I have never seen a problem caused by applying too much pressure to the cooling system other than blowing out the radiator or pump which would only happen if they were worn anyway.

thanks kennyr-

could a blown pump affect the engine performance?....if this were the case? Would the car stop altogether if the pump was blown out?..Would it even start?

thanks.