Freon?

2bapedup

Whats the amount of freon that a 1996 ls 400 suppose have?

I think I put too much and now when the clutch kicks in the car shakes.

Had you bought the kit w/gauge it has directions on charging to the proper level.

But yes, it does sound as if the compressor is "slugging", liquid refrigerant is reaching the compressor intake, and it only takes a short time of this to compromise the compressor mechanically.

Sounds to me like you either haven't any experience with a/c or weren't properly prepared.

In either case, I would leave a/c issues to qualified techs. It's not an inexpensive system

to fool with.

Sounds to me like you either haven't any experience with a/c or weren't properly prepared.

In either case, I would leave a/c issues to qualified techs. It's not an inexpensive system

to fool with.

Thanks you can close thread now

• 3 weeks later...
it is completely against the law to charge your awn AC system. You must be AC/R certified, even if they sell them at the auto store.

thats no joke btw.

No, it isn't against the law to charge your own system. California is trying to make it that way, but the law has not passed yet. It is illegal to buy or sell R-12 without a license in the US. Anyone can buy R-134a. Perhaps that's what you were thinking of.

Here is a tutorial on how to recharge the AC system. Note that the pressure in the system is checked using a pressure gauge. You should be able to let some of it out which is what I would recommend before your system breaks.

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/air/acrecharge.html

The 95 models have the AC Low pressure port on the RHS of the vehicle, capped with a black cap (at least on mine).