Car Importing

denslexusgx470

I know it's a big hassle to import cars, especially with going through modifications for the vehicle to pass smog and everything. But I'm just pondering on the idea, of what if I could import my Honda CRV in the Philippines, so I can use it as an extra vehicle here, that's GOOD ON GAS. I'm looking around for a beater CRV or RAV4, but I'm thinking, IF the price (everything, registration, shipping, smog, etc) of importing MY CRV is the same as buying a used vehicle, then I wouldn't mind going through the hassle if it is possible. At least I know who used my CRV. :)

So my question is, if it's possible, who is the first person I should normally contact in doing this? The vehicle is fully paid in the Philippines, full records, but at different Honda dealerships though.

Any suggestion is appreciated! Thanks Guys. :D

I agree, just not worth it. Even if it cost the same as buying a used one here (I bet it would cost you at least $10,000 to import it) it still wouldn't be worth it and here's why:

1. Lets say your CR-V is worth $10,000

2. Lets say a used CR-V here costs $10,000

3. Lets say it costs $10,000 to import it.

So you've put out $10,000, but you still only have one CR-V that isn't even worth $10,000 anymore because it'd be impossible to sell here. You'd have to ship it back and sell it there.

So, if you bought another CR-V you'd have two! And can sell whatever one you ultimately needed to whether it be the one here or the one there.

You're better off to buy one here.

I agree, just not worth it. Even if it cost the same as buying a used one here (I bet it would cost you at least $10,000 to import it) it still wouldn't be worth it and here's why:

1. Lets say your CR-V is worth $10,000

2. Lets say a used CR-V here costs $10,000

3. Lets say it costs $10,000 to import it.

So you've put out $10,000, but you still only have one CR-V that isn't even worth $10,000 anymore because it'd be impossible to sell here. You'd have to ship it back and sell it there.

So, if you bought another CR-V you'd have two! And can sell whatever one you ultimately needed to whether it be the one here or the one there.

You're better off to buy one here.

Well that's why I want to know the costs that i will occur in importing a car. Yes you may think like, $10k for a used one locally is better off, but to me, I'd rather go thru the hassle of importing mine, which I've had since 86 km brand new, IF the cost is around the ballpark of $10k... The used ones I find are way too much, unless they are extremely high mileage! :o

So i'm executing all my possible options here! At least I've changed my mind from the Trooper to a simple CRV lol. Only because of the gas issue, but otherwise I still want that Isuzu! hehe. :)

And also, I love the extra features on mine that isn't available to the U.S. CRVs of that time. hehe. But that's out of the question. :)

Aside from the costs, hassles, and possible damage to the car "which is quite possible as those crane operators tend to DROP the cargo containers onto the ships, I know for a fact", I think you'll face even more expense with getting it past the port authority due to our strict regulations on emissions and safety requirements. I don't know if the bumpers, airbag gear, seat belts, and such are the same for the CR-V world wide, but I seriously doubt the emissions of a car built for the Philippines' market will pass here, especially in California! If I recall, California cars have slightly modified emission equipment. I recall this from the VW GTI I had as a kid. The California version-only had 5 less HP due to emissions equipment.

The damage to cars during shipping has been well documented in my circle of life. That VW I had, turned out to be a military man's car, and was shipped to Germany and back. When we got in 1987, we came to realize all the rims were bent, several mounts were bad and it never made it past 50k. One of my buddies who was a Navy Jag lawyer in Hawaii had two cars shipped over, both arrived damaged with severe scratches, broken mirrors and bent rims as well. One was shipped via military contracts, the other was a Jeep he bought on Ebay from Kentucky and paid to ship it. Another buddy who was Army, bought a BMW 325 in Germany back in 2000. After his service was up, in 2004, he and his wife had it shipped back to the states to Ft. Bragg. Again, it arrived in rough shape, and after chasing several electronic glitches "loose connectors", new wheels and funky engine issues "probably associated with US gasoline", they traded it in for a new one locally, and have never had a problem with it.

I thought he was in the Phillipines and wanted his car from California to go to the Phillipines...that is quite different for smog etc. I know it can be done, but the cost, I dont know. I know when I shipped from Spain to Bayonne N.Y. it was around $500, but that was in 1972

I thought he was in the Phillipines and wanted his car from California to go to the Phillipines...

Good question, I'm confused too....where are you Dens?

ahh ok. I see. Well there have been stories about people importing rare vehicles, and they spend a LOT of money doing so, so I thought instead of buying a used car locally that who knows how they used it in the past, have my CRV shipped here in America..

Yes btw, I am back in California now. For good. The whole Philippine stay is a LOOOONG story. If anyone's interested, hit me up with a PM. :)