Downshifting Hard

HELP!

I was driving a couple days ago 55 mph down an off ramp and when i hit the breaks to stop my is250 AWD down shifted really hard into 4th gear taking the rpm's up to 4,000. has anybody else experienced this? I take the same route every day and now the car does this on every off ramp you hit your brakes on if you are driving about 50 mph. The car NEVER used to do this until a couple days ago? I am not in performance mode, nor am i using the paddles. It is a 2007 IS250 AWD with 18,000 miles. Any help or input would be greatly appreciated!

J

I don't really consider a 4k rpm downshift a hard downshift. I think you may have been a bit surprised by it, or maybe not used to it, but there are conditions in which the car is programmed to help braking by downshifting. If you switch to the power mode, accelerate up to speed and then use the brakes to scrub away some speed and you'll see what I mean. The downshifting is much more pernounced and the car uses those to help with slowing down. And if you press the accelerator to hold rpm's at this point, the car does, and won't shift until you press the accelerator and gain enouph rpm's. So it can just hold the gear for you. Even though your not in the sport mode, the car will still do it, it just doesn't emphasize it as much.

I don't really consider a 4k rpm downshift a hard downshift. I think you may have been a bit surprised by it, or maybe not used to it, but there are conditions in which the car is programmed to help braking by downshifting. If you switch to the power mode, accelerate up to speed and then use the brakes to scrub away some speed and you'll see what I mean. The downshifting is much more pernounced and the car uses those to help with slowing down. And if you press the accelerator to hold rpm's at this point, the car does, and won't shift until you press the accelerator and gain enouph rpm's. So it can just hold the gear for you. Even though your not in the sport mode, the car will still do it, it just doesn't emphasize it as much.

Well stated Smooth!