Best $35 I Have Ever Spent!

TA in KC

This evening as I was driving on the highway I noticed several warning lights come on and then my instrument cluster began to flicker. It finally went totally black and then the transmission began doing some odd things. <_<

I slowed down as I was exiting the highway and began to make a right turn onto the street leading towards my house, and lost power steering midway through the turn. Looked down at the blacked-out tachometer to see it at zero. Luckily I was still rolling fast enough to pull over to the side of the road.

I was trying to think what to do next when I remembered the Black and Decker jump starter I bought last December. Pulled it out of the trunk, hooked it up, started my car back up and drove home. Turns out the problem was just the battery.

I learned my lesson the hard way once when I left the headlights on and didn't come back for about 2 hours. Bought this jump starter for $35 after that happened, and it has already paid for itself. If you ask me, everyone should have one of these. It is cheap insurance.

post-48798-1211768948_thumb.jpg

May want to get your alternator checked!

Already have. First thing I did when I got home was pull computer codes then drive to the auto parts store to get the alternator and battery checked since they are open late and don't charge to test them with their equipment.

I was always telling people about how great that Costco battery is :rolleyes:. It does have a very substantial amount of crank amps, was inexpensive, and is guaranteed for 8 years. It was only about 6 months old. Guess I just got a bad one.

Oh man don't tell me that! I have a Costco battery was well! They do have a replacement warranty for the first year, and then pro-rated for the remainder of the 8 year warranty. You should go back and they will give no problems with providing a replacement. And you should check cold crank amps and that's the important factor (not crank amps).

If your car lost all power while you were driving it, I your battery is your only issue. Once the car is running, the alternator is powering everything electrical AND recharging your battery.

I love Costco's return policy B) haha

I've had an optima yellow top going on about......2.5-3 years, no problems with it. I also have a little lifesaver like that in my trunk :) They come in very handy!

I love Costco's return policy B) haha

I've had an optima yellow top going on about......2.5-3 years, no problems with it. I also have a little lifesaver like that in my trunk :) They come in very handy!

i love my optima red top. i have had THE SAME battery in every car, its been through 2 car accidents (front end destroyers), I LOVE IT. It was first in a ford contour, then in an ES250, then in the ZX-2, then in the 05 Matrix and is now in the civic. thats...7 years of the same battery! 800CCA's, 1000CA's and plenty reliable.

I have a Costco battery and I have had them before, never a problem. When I replaced the battery in my truck, I bought an Optima Redtop at Costco for $129.

This evening as I was driving on the highway I noticed several warning lights come on and then my instrument cluster began to flicker. It finally went totally black and then the transmission began doing some odd things. <_<

I slowed down as I was exiting the highway and began to make a right turn onto the street leading towards my house, and lost power steering midway through the turn. Looked down at the blacked-out tachometer to see it at zero. Luckily I was still rolling fast enough to pull over to the side of the road.

I was trying to think what to do next when I remembered the Black and Decker jump starter I bought last December. Pulled it out of the trunk, hooked it up, started my car back up and drove home. Turns out the problem was just the battery.

I learned my lesson the hard way once when I left the headlights on and didn't come back for about 2 hours. Bought this jump starter for $35 after that happened, and it has already paid for itself. If you ask me, everyone should have one of these. It is cheap insurance.

Hi There,

Thanks for the info.. By the way, where did you find this jump starter for $35? The lowest price I found is $50. Please let me know.

Thanks

Hi There,

Thanks for the info.. By the way, where did you find this jump starter for $35? The lowest price I found is $50. Please let me know.

Thanks

I found it in the automotive section at Wal-Mart. There are several different brands other than this one, that I am sure work just as well, but I bought this one because it was inexpensive.

If your car lost all power while you were driving it, I your battery is your only issue. Once the car is running, the alternator is powering everything electrical AND recharging your battery.
Unless the Lexus uses an unusual alternator, the alternator will not work with a completely dead battery.

As opposed to generators like cars used to use, an alternator requires a twelve volt "exciter voltage" from the battery before it can produce any power. If the battery is completely dead, the engine will die shortly after the jump battery is disconnected after being jump started. In other words, the alternator is dead if the battery is completely dead. If the battery is only too weak to start the engine but not completely dead, you can jump start the engine and it will run fine afterwards and the alternator will start recharging the battery since the alternator doesn't require much... just enough... from the battery to work.

So if the battery is completely dead, most alternators used in automobiles won't work at all. And don't go disconnecting the battery after starting the engine to see if the engine will die as doing so can harm the alternator and other electronics big-time. :o