Lots Of General Questions

Belated comment: For scratch and swirl removal: try 'Meguiar's Scratch X', hand applied. I have been very happy with this 'relatively new product'---and it smells good !! :D

Basically removes ALL fine scratchs and swirl marks.

VERY difficult and takes a lot of technique. As paints get harder and harder it gets even MORE difficult. I think you may want to look into investing in a Porter Cable polisher ;)

Ehhh... I think you'll be dissapointed in the cheapie buffers. They're not powerful enough to really do anything but apply waxes, about as adept at removing swirls as by hand...

Thats the buffer I have, its widely regarded as the best non-rotary polisher out there. In fact there are instructions for using it at the detailing store.

The PC (as its called) is far more effective at removing scratches and swirls with the proper pads. You can pick them up from online retailers. If you want to buy one I'll find you the best deal, you can get one for $130 or so. Its an excellent tool and well worth the money. The next step up would be a rotary but I've never needed one, doubt you do either.

Thanks, that one is listed right under $130 so looks like a good deal. Can't afford/justify it right now but at least I know what to keep my eye out for.

How exactly does it work? I guess it actually has to "sand/buff" away the paint to remove the scratch?

I think you can do a lot less damage with the orbital PC.

Steve, my old black and Decker polisher was even smaller/cheaper than this unit and it sure saved me a lot of elbow grease... used with some 3M microglaze it gave some amazing results in the past.

This unit is an 11 amp and should be fine for me at home. As you know, you can cut through paint easily with rotary, especially on the edges and corners... It might not be the best tool for some. I'll report back when they ship it in two weeks :-)

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Disp...temnumber=46507

I firmly believe no ameteur should use a rotary LOL. The good thing about the PC is that its dual action, which gives it more power but its still harmless to the paint. SOME cheaper units will give a good result, but nothing is as powerful and widely applicable as the PC, its the closest you can safely get to a rotary.

acf- Whenever you're removing imperfections you're removing paint, even by hand. Thats why you dont want to hit the paint with a cleaner every time you wax, thats why its important to minimize the frequency of your polishing. Its practically impossible to damage the paint with a PC unless you beat the car with it.