Oil Change Frequency With Syn?

Obviously this topic is controversial.

It won't be any more ;)

In the post MB-era LOC we'll all be free to discuss oil...towels...and car washing without the threat of oppression!

Sigh, I feel so liberated now. :D

Randy, you are welcome. Google is my best friend.

And, I am definitely a Consumer Reports fan. I value their impartiality and perspective on many products. I have never blindly used their rankings to buy anything, but rather their talking points to make me a wiser shopper. Those that criticize C.U. as biased puzzle me.

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

I use Mobil one synthetic on all my cars, I changed the oil in the RX at 5,000 even though it was a lease and I was sure I was not going to keep it, I got rid of the RX last week with only 17,000 on it and replaced it with a GS450H and will still change it every 5,000. There is no doubt you could get by with 10,000 miles but it doesn't cost all that much to change ever 5,000 if you buy the oil on sale or get it cheap at Sam's club and bring the oil to the dealer to change it. Why would anyone want to risk having a problem with the dealer over warrantee issues over the small amount of money it costs for an oil change?

Also skip the toyo filter. They are junk.

I find it interesting that Lexus has been using the same oil filter in their most expensive V8 cars for nearly 20 years, although the part # did change when the filters were manufactured outside Japan.

I seriously doubt that Lexus is supplying "junk" filters to use in their most expensive cars.

And our Camry V6 uses the same filter used in most or all Lexus V6 cars. It seems to be doing just fine on Mobil 1 and Toyota filters at 100,000 miles. A friend of mine drove his Camry to nearly 400,000 miles on regular oil and Toyota filters before he parked it in his pasture -- really, it's in his pasture -- for other reasons. Using a Toyota filter sure didn't hurt his car either.

I agree. Over the years I've read many threads on oil filters and oil types. The one problem I have is that I have never read any documented certified unbiased test data to prove to me that there is really that much difference and that whatever difference there may be can be proven to cause substantial wear on engine parts that are lubricated with the crankcase oil!!

Doing a used oil analysis (UOA) on two oil filters without correlating the wear particle factors to any kind of tests on how many MORE wear particles in the oil that was not properly filtered by a "junk" oil filter, AND then proving how many more wear particles will cause a significant or substantial amout of wear in the engine that will decrease it's life and by how much!! SHOW ME SOME CERTIFIED TEST DATA!!!! Until then, to me it's all conjecture, BS, and hype. That's just my worthless opinion. :)

And why would one of the world most advanced and finest automobile manufacturers use "junk" oil filters? I'm sure someone will come up with a logical reason.

Oh yeah, if you do some research I believe you will find that engine failure in today's modern engines will NOT be caused by oil or oil filters, if normal periodic maintenance services are performed and under average driving conditions.

How about this site it has the best filter info I have ever seen anywhere

http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilterst...dy.html#warning

I respectfully disagree. You and make predictions about future performance by looking at the quality of the parts and the way it is put together. If the core has less surface area than another brad you can predict it will clog up sooner, a flimsy paper core won't be as good as as thicker synthetic material. I haven't read the info in a while but I recall reading that one of the filters was secured with a piece of string and the string cut right into the element.