Gx 470 "bumpy Ride"

GX470NC

I have just purchased a 2004 GX470 with 55,000 miles.

The ride seems very bumpy/springy.

I can make the car bounce by pushing down on front fender. When going over a speed bump in our neighborhood the rear end seems to not take it very well.

Maybe this is the normal ride for these models, but that is why I am posting.

If anyone can give me any insight or suggestions before I bring it to the dealer please let me know.

Thanks

I have just purchased a 2004 GX470 with 55,000 miles.

The ride seems very bumpy/springy.

I can make the car bounce by pushing down on front fender. When going over a speed bump in our neighborhood the rear end seems to not take it very well.

Maybe this is the normal ride for these models, but that is why I am posting.

If anyone can give me any insight or suggestions before I bring it to the dealer please let me know.

Thanks

Its difficult to explain what I would consider a normal ride. Having owned two brand new GX's, I would know if something wasn't right. Since you don't have a point of reference to go by to know what's normal, I'd suggest you go to the dealer and ask them to let you drive another used GX so you can compare the two...

If your truck bounce more than once after you push down on it, you need new shocks. The rear air suspension's rough ride could be cause by the clunk TSB or bad air suspension.

He doesn't have a Lexus dealership in Wilmington "lived there for 9 years", nearest one is 126 miles in Raleigh.

I wouldn't think the struts would be bad at that mileage though. The GX is a softer ride than the 4runner "pretty close to the exact same cars, mechanically". One thing you could do though, is go test drive a new 4runner limited, as they have the air suspension, similar to the GX.

Honestly, if this is your 1st Toyota product, the soft steering characteristics take a little getting-use-to. Matched with the height of the GX, it's going to be a little "loosy-goosy" feeling.

I'd look in the phone book for an indi mechanic who specializes in Lexus. If you can't find one, then call the Toyota dealership and ask if their most senior tech can take a look. Don't accept the new kid who works nights at Bert's Surf Shop. You want the #1 technician.

If that fails, and you still think something is wrong, then I'd say top up the tank, set the cruise at 79mph, and come on up 40 to Johnson Lexus on Capital Blvd, in Raleigh. Watchout around Kennansville for the police, they're sneaky at that exit, about 65 miles outside of Wilm.

I've done that drive so many times, I could take a nap while driving it and be fine, if it weren't for all the other hot-dogs racing around me to get there first.

Try simple things first. Check tire pressure cold in the AM. And make sure they are what is recomended in the door jam or the manual.

After this try setting your suspension to different rates (softest to hardest) and see if that helps.

You did not mention what tires you have on there OEM or aftermarket?

• 4 weeks later...
Try simple things first. Check tire pressure cold in the AM. And make sure they are what is recomended in the door jam or the manual.

After this try setting your suspension to different rates (softest to hardest) and see if that helps.

You did not mention what tires you have on there OEM or aftermarket?

You might want to try and adjust the suspension setting on the center console. If it is on the sport setting try moving it to the left towards "comfort"