2001 Es300 Gas Mpg, Suspension, Brake Fluid Issues

Hi, my ES-300 has issues. It would be highly appreciated if you comment or point out a direction how to troubleshoot.

(1) I got low gas mileage comparing to other owners. The car currently only gets 17 mpg for moderate city miles, not much traffic jam and no air conditioning. The car is about 54K miles since new.

(2) The car makes a clunking sound from the passenger side when driving over bumps, holes, or un-even surface. So far no shops had found what was wrong. The sound is low and annoying.

(3) I plan to bring my parts for coming brake services. I expect an improvement, the question is, is the improvement significant?

( All parts will be on line ordered from tirerack ):

- ATE premium one sloted rotors ( 4 wheels )

- Akebono Street performance pad ( ceramic, front )

- Akebono ProACT pad ( ceramic, rear )

- Goodridge G-stop brake line kit ( stainless steel )

- ATE type 200 DOT 4 brake fluid ( how many litters? )

DOES ANY ONE KNOW HOW MANY LITTERS OF BRAKE FLUID I SHOULD GET ? ( I will order online so no way to call to find out ).

BIG THANKS IN ADVANCE !!

Hi, my ES-300 has issues. It would be highly appreciated if you comment or point out a direction how to troubleshoot.

(1) I got low gas mileage comparing to other owners. The car currently only gets 17 mpg for moderate city miles, not much traffic jam and no air conditioning. The car is about 54K miles since new.

(2) The car makes a clunking sound from the passenger side when driving over bumps, holes, or un-even surface. So far no shops had found what was wrong. The sound is low and annoying.

(3) I plan to bring my parts for coming brake services. I expect an improvement, the question is, is the improvement significant?

( All parts will be on line ordered from tirerack ):

- ATE premium one sloted rotors ( 4 wheels )

- Akebono Street performance pad ( ceramic, front )

- Akebono ProACT pad ( ceramic, rear )

- Goodridge G-stop brake line kit ( stainless steel )

- ATE type 200 DOT 4 brake fluid ( how many litters? )

DOES ANY ONE KNOW HOW MANY LITTERS OF BRAKE FLUID I SHOULD GET ? ( I will order online so no way to call to find out ).

BIG THANKS IN ADVANCE !!

Let's start with the basics...

1) What is your current tire pressure set at? Make sure all tires are between 32 - 34 PSI. Next I would check to see if your air filter is clean or needs to be replaced. I don't think at your current mileage you need your iridium spark plugs changed just yet. Also the PCV valve is a very in-expensive part to buy & install so that won't hurt anything if that's changed.

2) You mention the noise is from the passenger side....but you don't say if it's at the front or back. Around the 60k mark, I needed to replace the rear suspension bushings on my 01 ES as it was making noises the way you describe....over bumps, uneven roads etc.

3) You need a 1 litre bottle of brake fluid....and you will have quite a bit left over after the brake fluid flush. ATE is excellent stuff.....although I have used the 'Super Blue' or 'Smurf blood' stuff personally. Your choice of brake parts is also decent. :)

:cheers:

If the suspension noise is in the rear, and sounds like low, muffled clunk in the trunk, it's probably the sway bar bushings... very typical for these years. They just wear and become loose, then you get a rattle. It's a super easy fix. I posted some pictures of my repair on here a while ago.

Thank you all for the prompt help. I now have some ideas what I will face when I bring the car to the shop.

According to one posting here, it seems that my 17 mpg is an OK mileage. To answer the tire pressure question, I usually keep the tires at 32 psi.

I could not tell the clunking sound is from the front or rear. But I will forward all the points you mentioned to the shop to check them up.

Lexusfreak,

Big thanks to the brake fluid info. Can you kindly comment the difference between "super blue" and "type 200"? They seem having same boiling points.

I HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION!! Can anyone here help answer me? The shop quoted me $300 for the brake jobs I plan to to do ( 4 wheels, chnage brake lines, fluid, rotors, pads ). Is the price right ( Mid-Atlantic region )?

Sincerely thanks.

Thank you all for the prompt help. I now have some ideas what I will face when I bring the car to the shop.

According to one posting here, it seems that my 17 mpg is an OK mileage. To answer the tire pressure question, I usually keep the tires at 32 psi.

I could not tell the clunking sound is from the front or rear. But I will forward all the points you mentioned to the shop to check them up.

Lexusfreak,

Big thanks to the brake fluid info. Can you kindly comment the difference between "super blue" and "type 200"? They seem having same boiling points.

I HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION!! Can anyone here help answer me? The shop quoted me $300 for the brake jobs I plan to to do ( 4 wheels, chnage brake lines, fluid, rotors, pads ). Is the price right ( Mid-Atlantic region )?

Sincerely thanks.

cp....I am personally not familiar with the type 200 brake fluid but they look identical as far as specs is concerned (see link below) so either should be fine (the 'super blue' is also suitable for racing applications as well as street duty)...

http://www.ate-na.com/generator/www/us/en/...bf_info_us.html

Double check your air filter & PCV valve condition.....these are two very inexpensive parts to replace & can cost you bigtime in fuel economy if they are not in good shape. ;) Switching to synthetic oil might also improve fuel economy slightly.

Let us know what the suspension problem was.

The quote for the brakes sounds pretty decent imo.

Are you smoking something?

EPA rating for this car is 17 city / 24 Hwy.

I got about 20 mixed city / highway (50/50).

No on the smoke, now my older ES gets their hwy in the city? But my 98 is about the same rating wise and I get over 30+ mpg on hwy (easy) and 23 to 25 in city. In fact since 1-2008 most going to work is 23.5 to almost 26. I documented in since I have owned the car. In fact, 99% of the time AC on, in Houston traffic I do not go less then 21...

Just saying someting is wrong with this guys car and if the newer ES get worse then mine, you would not see me buying one. Hell, my wife kiddie van gets what you are with more weight more, etc. Just saying wow...

Plus I would also use some nice fuel adds in the fuel to clean the sys and get more mpg.

No on the smoke, now my older ES gets their hwy in the city? But my 98 is about the same rating wise and I get over 30+ mpg on hwy (easy) and 23 to 25 in city. In fact since 1-2008 most going to work is 23.5 to almost 26. I documented in since I have owned the car. In fact, 99% of the time AC on, in Houston traffic I do not go less then 21...

Just saying someting is wrong with this guys car and if the newer ES get worse then mine, you would not see me buying one. Hell, my wife kiddie van gets what you are with more weight more, etc. Just saying wow...

Plus I would also use some nice fuel adds in the fuel to clean the sys and get more mpg.

I am also leaning to think my gas mileage is not right because it is in fact same engines since last generation ES300 and EPA gave it a similar rating. Besides this generation ES has Variable Valve Timing that suppose managing the engine more efficiently. I will check the air filter and PCV ( not sure what is this but will google to find out )...

Glad to hear that the labor charge for the brake job is OK. I also will update the finding of suspension sounds I have.

Thanks for the feed back from everyone . I learn from people's input a lot.

Thanks

CP

I am also leaning to think my gas mileage is not right because it is in fact same engines since last generation ES300 and EPA gave it a similar rating. Besides this generation ES has Variable Valve Timing that suppose managing the engine more efficiently. I will check the air filter and PCV ( not sure what is this but will google to find out )...

Glad to hear that the labor charge for the brake job is OK. I also will update the finding of suspension sounds I have.

Thanks for the feed back from everyone . I learn from people's input a lot.

Thanks

CP

CP...here is the explanation for the PCV valve...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCV_valve

The part should be under $10.00 or there abouts......just a small (but important) plug & play item. I usually change them every tune up. B)

If my 98 got 18 mpg, I would sell it. you should be getting over 23 min.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents

I recently sold my 97 Lexus with ~160K miles on it. EPA rating for this car was 17 city 24 hwy. I easily got 25 with mixed driving. Using Regular Chevron. Driving in Houston.

OP, I agree with Lexusfreak's suggestions. Especially about the tire pressure. I noticed I lost about 2mpg if my tire pressure wasn't correct.

1. Tire pressure and PCV valve are excellent suggestions. When was the last time the air filter was changed?

If you change them and see no difference in the mileage, you may have a lazy fuel/air sensor that is calling for more fuel but not enough to trigger a CEL.

2. I vote for rear sway bar bushings. Two $10 pieces of rubber that can quiet and army of noises. Major weak spot for Toyota. My 02 ES had theh go bad, my friend's 97 Avalon suffered from it as have many others. Just do a search on "rear bushing". I best heard it as it sounds like golf balls in the spare tire compartment.

3. Whatever happened to the trusted cheap traditional DOT 3 fluid? What fluid is in the system now? Check the compatibilities, Either DOT 4 or DOT 5 brake fluid is not compatible with the others. If you are planning on flushing the entire system then you may want to invest in a large reservoir flush kit. I hate the old "pump and bleed" type of flushing.

steviej

lexusfreak, kashi125, steviej,

Thanks for your comments. I have tire pressure checked at 32 all the time and EPA estimate for my car in city is 18 mpg. the traffic condition my wife encountered should be better than the "pure" city testing EPA did.

I plan to get my sleeves rolled up but this time I do not have time, therefore the parts/remedies here you mentioned, I mainly have to ask the shop to check them up for me. I know there is a premium to pay but I am tied up this time.

Lexusfreak, I saw you responded my the other thread! Nice looking car! Couldn't help praising again :)

Stevie,

I was considering an "upgrade" to the braking system. There was nothing wrong with current DOT3. In fact, I am a little withdrawn from that idea after talking to some of my friends that they either said "noisy" or "dusty" after the aftermarket upgrades. So, I have to weigh the trade-off. Thank you very much for the insights about how the old fluid is out. I will also put that into considerations.

Great site, I joined for a while (since last year) but I will become a bit more active. Thank you everyone here. Sincerely,

CP

lexusfreak, kashi125, steviej,

Lexusfreak, I saw you responded my the other thread! Nice looking car! Couldn't help praising again :)

Great site, I joined for a while (since last year) but I will become a bit more active. Thank you everyone here. Sincerely,

CP

I appreciate it CP B)

steviej makes a good point as well......nothing wrong with good old fashioned DOT 3 fluid. OEM brake parts are of very high quality to.....just something to keep in mind.

If my 98 got 18 mpg, I would sell it. you should be getting over 23 min.

That's not right. I get 26 mgp mix driving and I've gotten 28 mgp when I drive a round trip from Portland to Seattle.