It's Wintertime....help!

bentwich

I have a 2001 IS 300, and as I can tell from many of the posts, its poor handling in the snow and ice is not unique to me. Here's my question: what are you all doing to maximize your ability to drive this car? Last winter, I was literally scared to drive it. I love this car, and how it handles on dry roads, but I literally could not drive out of my outdoor parking space in 1/2 inch of snow last year -- I'm seriously considering turning this delicious driving machine in for something that is more reliable. . . but I don't want to. I would really appreciate any guidance. I don't know whether to just fill the trunck with cement blocks, or sand bags, or get tire chains, or what so that I can get to the grocery store this winter.

:( Sad in DC

I am very familiar with this, last winter I could not drive this car for nothing in the snow. I purchased some Sumitomo HTR + tires to try to help. Well, Wednesday night here in VA, it snowed. I was very nervous about the car, and driving. But amazingly it did very well. I picked them up at Tires.com, for 89 a piece. I would definetly reccomend them. Check them out. Although I have been thinking about the blizzaks, have not heard nothing but good things. later.

Whatever you do don't buy the Continental Contiextreme Contacts. I just had some taken off my '02 IS because they thumped like crazy. Since you're in DC, I can recommend Quality Discount Tire in Kensington. Steve is great at taking care of customers and his prices are super. He replaced the Continentals with some Pirellis, which ride very well.

Hi!

I own a Lexus IS200 (same as IS300 except the engine).

I have Bridgestone Blizzak 22 or such on it, 215/45 R17.

Really good stuff.

But also those tires slip as sh.t on fresh flown snow, because it doesn't stick on the ground and the IS is very light on the rear axle, so your wheels will spin as hell.

I noticed that they stick better when the snow just lays some while and got hard in cause of other cars.

But anyway..... get some Blizzak and you will feel a difference. B)

N-Ice greetings,

RoadRash

• 4 weeks later...

I slapped on a set of 205/ 50VR17 dunlop winter sport M2's mounted and balanced on sport edition alloys from tire rack($1050 shipped) and blazed past everything on the road as if I were in an all wheel drive at over 100 mph in our first winter weather storm this year (I am not insane, these tires in this size instil great confidence, and I was late for a christmas party) consisting of ice covered in a few inches of snow. It was almost like driving in the rain, but with more drifting (fun!)