Gx 470 Blind Spots

Jim Mihos

I recently purchased a 2008 GX 470. This is my first Lexus and while I enjoy the ride, I seem to be experiencing blinds spots in my sideview mirrors no matter how I position them. It seams that I'm unable to pick up cars in my mirrors when they are within 5 feet of my car. Is anyone else experiencing the same problem?

I recently purchased a 2008 GX 470. This is my first Lexus and while I enjoy the ride, I seem to be experiencing blinds spots in my sideview mirrors no matter how I position them. It seams that I'm unable to pick up cars in my mirrors when they are within 5 feet of my car. Is anyone else experiencing the same problem?

Jim: I too have just purchased my first Lexus (2008 GX470). I have, over the last 10 years or so, purchased seven or eight new vehicles and all of them have blind spots. I have always thought that given the technology we have today, it is amazing that a rear view mirror system cannot be designed that does not have blind spots. Having said that, I believe the Lexus seems to me to be maybe just a little better than most other new vehicles that I have owned in this regard. There is indeed a blind spot, but, it is relatively small (if traffic is moving at 30 MPH or more) as compared to others. I think I have my mirrors adjusted so that this blind spot is as small as I can get it.

As I stated, all vehicles have a blind spot and all you can do is adjust it to be as small as possible. If traffic is moving slowly, then this spot can be rather large and you must just turn your head and look before changing lanes. The Lexus GX470, from my experience, is no worse than many other vehicles I have owned.

Omegaman

In theory, you should be able to cover all blind spot with your side view mirror, The area where it is not covered should be able to pick up by turning your head. You may want to consider one of those small curve mirrors that truck drivers use on the top corner of their side mirrors to cover the blind spots.

In theory, you should be able to cover all blind spot with your side view mirror, The area where it is not covered should be able to pick up by turning your head. You may want to consider one of those small curve mirrors that truck drivers use on the top corner of their side mirrors to cover the blind spots.

The Volvo XC90 offers wide angle OEM replacement mirrors. The mirrors pop out and are easily replaced with the wide angles. I had them installed on an XC90 I owned and they worked great. I wonder if there are OEM or aftermarket wide angles available for the GX?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes try adding a CONVEX mirror to your side mirror. My shuttle van at work has those, and as ugly as it may look, it actually works (but the best blind spot solution is turning your head)