Accumulators

scrappyslexus

My LX 470 has 77k on it. I was told today that I need new accumulators. Could moisture in the Hyd system cause them to fail early? What can i expect the dealer to charge?

Moisture did not cause accumulators to wear out. They simply fail from age and internal flexing. Please go to my website 'activesuspensionsystems.com' and read all about it. At the Dealer expect to pay between $3500 and $4000 for the parts and labor. From me, a better part , 3 times the warranty, DIY for $1400 total. Labor to install by a mechanic 1 hour total.

My LX 470 has 77k on it. I was told today that I need new accumulators. Could moisture in the Hyd system cause them to fail early? What can i expect the dealer to charge?

Moisture did not cause accumulators to wear out. They simply fail from age and internal flexing. Please go to my website 'activesuspensionsystems.com' and read all about it. At the Dealer expect to pay between $3500 and $4000 for the parts and labor. From me, a better part , 3 times the warranty, DIY for $1400 total. Labor to install by a mechanic 1 hour total.

At 61k the dealer did the big 60k service. The problem with the bouncing began around 62 k. At 64k the dealer changed the Height control Oil because they said it was contaminated. Will a contaminated hyd system caouse these accumulators to fail?

At 61k the dealer did the big 60k service. The problem with the bouncing began around 62 k. At 64k the dealer changed the Height control Oil because they said it was contaminated. Will a contaminated hyd system caouse these accumulators to fail?

It sounds like your dealer used the wrong fluid in the resevoir. I've heard of some mechanics using the wrong fluid (brake or hydraulic). It takes some time, but the wrong fluid damages the membranes in the accumulators. If you use the proper fluid, many people go 120K mi on the original accumulators.

It sounds like the wrong fluid was added around 60K, and if they used brake fluid, it will ruin the system. It looks like the dealer was negligent and you should take up the issue with Lexus. When properly maintained they typically last well over 100K. I am at 110K on mine and they still work well. The 60K service is supposed to include the replacement of the AHC fluid, so the tech probably did it, but it sounds like they used brake fluid instead.

Since it happened at the dealer, they should fix it, because it was their mistake. If you check out the ih8mud.com site you will find several who have had similar problems from adding brake fluid to the system. The membranes will be shot, so all the spheres will need replacing. The whole system must be meticulously flushed out to remove the contamination, including the shocks. If the dealer was at fault, they should replace the entire system, including the shocks, they should have known better and followed the factory procedures.

If the brake fluid addition was your doing, you have a couple options. One is to replace the entire system and use only the specified fluid in it. The spheres Texasoil has appear better in construction than the original, so check his web site if you go that route. The other option is less expensive, replace the system with a non-AHC suspension such as the Landcruiser standard suspension. If you prefer a moderate lift of 3", then the EMU suspension works well. Sleeoffroad has information on that approach.

I would start with the Lexus dealer so they have an opportunity to fix the situation at the lowest level before you take it up the corporate ladder. Best wishes.

The dealer goofed... Make them fix it. If they give you any pushback call Lexus and explain your situation. I am sure Lexus will step up.

Good Luck!

The dealer goofed... Make them fix it. If they give you any pushback call Lexus and explain your situation. I am sure Lexus will step up.

Good Luck!

thanks for the responses. I have spoken to texas oil. I called Lexus about 10 days ago they will give me an update by MAy 12th. They are investigating with the dealer. Lexus also told me that if i go to a different dealer my case would start all over again?

• 2 weeks later...

Good Luck!

thanks for the responses. I have spoken to texas oil. I called Lexus about 10 days ago they will give me an update by MAy 12th. They are investigating with the dealer. Lexus also told me that if i go to a different dealer my case would start all over again?

The dealer actually had the nerve to tell Lexus that the system was contaminated somewhere else. I have never taken the truck anywhere but a lexus dealer. Lexus actually denied my claim. After pleading my case with a manager at Lexus they agreed to further investigate. The story gets better. Today 5-18-08 I opened the hood to check the oil and found that they returned the truck to us without the cap on the hyd tank. The screen that goes in the tank was left on near were the wiper blades sit. This dealership did a great job tap dancing while i was in warrenty. In addition I asked lexus to bring out a factory person to diagnose. I hope Lexus steps up and does the right thing, 5 of my neighbors have bought Lexuses based on my recomendation.

• 2 months later...

Good Luck!

The dealer actually had the nerve to tell Lexus that the system was contaminated somewhere else. I have never taken the truck anywhere but a lexus dealer. Lexus actually denied my claim. After pleading my case with a manager at Lexus they agreed to further investigate. The story gets better. Today 5-18-08 I opened the hood to check the oil and found that they returned the truck to us without the cap on the hyd tank. The screen that goes in the tank was left on near were the wiper blades sit. This dealership did a great job tap dancing while i was in warrenty. In addition I asked lexus to bring out a factory person to diagnose. I hope Lexus steps up and does the right thing, 5 of my neighbors have bought Lexuses based on my recomendation.

Sad day. National Lexus customer service has refused to help in any way. They said that their dealers are independantly owned and cannot be responsible for them. Not what I expected and not why I bought a Lexus. National advised arbitration. Very dissapointing since ALL service work was done at a Lexus Dealership. Anyway, Does anyone know of a independant shop in the Wilmington, DE or Philadelphia area that specializes in Lexus repairs?